Traction poll...

Do you lose traction when going from a 19 inch to a 20 inch rim on the rear?

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on the tires you run

the 335/30/20 ps2 will stick better than the 19" version

but the hoosiers or most of the other 19" track tires will stick even better than that 20" ps2

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think traction really is a variable of the size of the rim. It is dependent on the tires your run. There are more available tire options in 19 then 20 but the 20 tires options work well.

Going from the stock runflat 19 setup to a non runflat 20, there is a vast improvement which is even more amplified with a lighter wheel/tire package.

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on the tires you run
the 335/30/20 ps2 will stick better than the 19" version
but the hoosiers or most of the other 19" track tires will stick even better than that 20" ps2

I think the hoosiers sound alittle quieter then the PS's while roasting them in third:omg::D:rolaugh:

Reaction score
The flexibility of the sidewall will help traction and generally speaking if you increase rim size you will be decreasing sidewall height. A stiffer shorter sidewall will help cornering response but I would say that like tires in the two sizes the smaller the better.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark is correct. You will have better performance with a smaller rim.

In a nutshell, the smaller the rotating mass, the better performance you will get. Yes you will have a shorter sidewall by going to a smaller rim, but overall diameter will still increase.

My guess would be more traction as it is harder to spin the tires due to more rotating mass.

Robert

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are making incorrect assumptons. My rear 20 inch setup is roughly 3/8 shorter than the 19 inch setup. Secondly, you cant just assume the 20 inch rim and tire weighs more. My HRE rear 20 setup weights roughly 12-15 less than the stock setup.

Do yourself a favor a try to pick up a stock rim/tire. I think it is over 60lbs.

Mark is correct. You will have better performance with a smaller rim.

In a nutshell, the smaller the rotating mass, the better performance you will get. Yes you will have a shorter sidewall by going to a smaller rim, but overall diameter will still increase.

My guess would be more traction as it is harder to spin the tires due to more rotating mass.

Robert

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are making incorrect assumptons. My rear 20 inch setup is roughly 3/8 shorter than the 19 inch setup. Secondly, you cant just assume the 20 inch rim and tire weighs more. My HRE rear 20 setup weights roughly 12-15 less than the stock setup.

Do yourself a favor a try to pick up a stock rim/tire. I think it is over 60lbs.

I stand corrected!!

Now I am confused!:confused: My car sits WAY higher with the 20" than it did with the stock tires and my side wall did go down in profile (I now have a 25) from the stock tires.

As for the rotating mass, I changed tires on a buddies Ram, we went from 17" to 22", and the new rims are lighter by a few pounds, but now the truck just lugs and can barelly get up to speed decently. We put the other rims back on and we can do burnouts again! :drive:

Sorry for passing out bad info I was just going off of MY experiences.. I am obviously confused and not fully understanding! :sorry2:

Robert

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the more sidewall you have,the better traction,you dont see top fuel guys running low profile.think about this,you have to have some flex in the sidewall to get ample traction,its all about how much and what kind of traction you want to determine what tire size and weight!:nono::drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
POTENTIAL TRACTION is at question here.

If you drive sedately, it makes NO difference. Your traction will be unaffected.

If you are on a skid-pad, seeking the limits of adhesion-friction-traction.....

same tires, 18 vs 19 vs 20", the 20" will break free first...the 18 will break last.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jon and Mark are correct as usual.

I run sticky 18's with light wheels on the rear of my Vipers. You will need Motons or some other lowering system.

Sticky 18's tend to "stick" better than sticky 19's or 20's.

Dan

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reasons a topfuel dragster run large diameter slicks has nothing to do with this debate. The slicks wrinkle to give on takeoff. No way that is happening with a 30 profile stock 19 tire.

For those that talk about the affects of the shorter sidewall, I can assure you that a 20 inch non run flat is still better. Remember the stock runflat sidewall is extremely stiff in order to be able to RUN FLAT. My experience is that the 20 inch is still more compliant and handles better in all circumstances.

the more sidewall you have,the better traction,you dont see top fuel guys running low profile.think about this,you have to have some flex in the sidewall to get ample traction,its all about how much and what kind of traction you want to determine what tire size and weight!:nono::drive:

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see this is not an easy one to answer. I would imagine by the responses that if there is a difference, there isn't much in terms of traction. The 20's look a hell of a lot better (personal opinion) so I hope something can be worked out as I have already ordered the 19's. If anyone is looking for a good deal on some 18/19 HRE 897R's in chrome (with the hidden hardware), PM me as I have some brand new ones I have not even received yet but am expecting them within a week or so. I would rather go with the 19/20 setup and only wish I would have done more research in the beginning before deciding.

Thanks

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can see this is not an easy one to answer. I would imagine by the responses that if there is a difference, there isn't much in terms of traction. The 20's look a hell of a lot better (personal opinion) so I hope something can be worked out as I have already ordered the 19's. If anyone is looking for a good deal on some 18/19 HRE 897R's in chrome (with the hidden hardware), PM me as I have some brand new ones I have not even received yet but am expecting them within a week or so. I would rather go with the 19/20 setup and only wish I would have done more research in the beginning before deciding.

Thanks

Ouch,,,,,,,Can't stop that order with HRE? I would call them and see what they could do for you.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch,,,,,,,Can't stop that order with HRE? I would call them and see what they could do for you.

I already did and they said the wheels are made. It only took them a week to make. Supposedly they were being sent off to chrome yesterday or today.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
19/20's ... not the way to go performance wise. Motons and lower your car ... stock sizes will look mighty fine with HRE bling and their comp wheels will perform even better.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its more a function of whether you're driving in rain or snow, as opposed to 19 or 20 rim size.:lmao:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...I can see this is not an easy one to answer.
Thanks.....

I disagree.....its pretty black and white.

You MUST REMEMBER that your sidewalls are a large part of your suspension-handling-traction package. So is the contact patch.

Generally, the more you have of either, the better your traction.

Other factors like aerodynamics (skinnies) and weight (skinnies, wheels, tires) play a huge role as well.....

"LOOKS COOLER......RUNS SLOWER"

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a 9.8 second pass @ 158mph on 20 inch nittos.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYUz2XJjiTo&feature=related[/media]

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a 9.8 second pass @ 158mph on 20 inch nittos.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYUz2XJjiTo&feature=related[/media]

Yeah, but if he would have had 19's he would have shaved .2 of his time...LOL

The bottom line is I reacted too quickly on the advice of others. Even if you do lose an insignificant amount of traction the looks are worth it to me. Oh well, I'll still enjoy the hell out of the rims if they don't sell and I'm stuck with some measily 19 inch HRE top of the line rims:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte