Trans clunk?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I am new to actually DRIVING Vipers, I am not sure if this is normal or not, but here goes.

When normally shifting and slowly letting the clutch out, there is a clunk in the trans before you fully have the clutch out. That is in all gears.

Is that normal for Viper? :dunno: It dosn't sound bad, but it almost feels like there is a little bit of play before the gear grabs. If it helps, it almost feels like a tractor trans when shifting!:D;).

Thanks!

Robert

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driveline slop which seems to be normal. My '01 does it. Replace all of the u-joints for warm fuzzy feeling and it didn't change a thing. Changed all fluids with new and didn't change a thing.

A Viper tech that I trust said that you can remove some of it by shimming the front bearing in the T56 tighter, but it will come back.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there a list of all this "normal viper stuff" that would seem wrong to the average person or new viper owner?

driveline slop, gearbox wine, ect...

im just wondering if there is anything that i havnt come across yet.
Then again my previous racecar was a 140Kmile miata w/race suspension so im kinda used to a "rickety car"

OPENRUP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I am new to actually DRIVING Vipers, I am not sure if this is normal or not, but here goes.

When normally shifting and slowly letting the clutch out, there is a clunk in the trans before you fully have the clutch out. That is in all gears.

Is that normal for Viper? :dunno: It dosn't sound bad, but it almost feels like there is a little bit of play before the gear grabs. If it helps, it almost feels like a tractor trans when shifting!:D;).

Thanks!

Robert

I wondered the same thing when I first started driving mine. I also here the "clunk" if you hit the gas in 3rd at low speeds (under 40mph). Glad to hear it is normal though...

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks!

Robert

Robert, Go to the Wizard: Chuck Tator. He will fill you in on your car.