Transmission R/R

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I have followed the service manual(1994)to remove the trans, I had some trouble with the slave disconnect that Tom helped out with.:). I lowered the motor/trans as far as I can and the trans only comes out about 3/4" then the housing hits the passenger side frame and I am stuck:crazy2: Any tips will make me happy;)

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you unbolt the trans from the bell housing? Or are you trying to pull the trans and bell housing together?
You must remove the 8 bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing first,remove the trans then unbolt the bell housing rotate it 90 degrees then you can drop it out.

OP
OP
R

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,yes I'm supporting with a floor jack with a platform I made.
Tom, It is the tranny and the bell housing I can't seperate.:(

Last edited:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,yes I'm supporting with a floor jack with a platform I made.
Tom, It is the tranny and the bell housing I can't seperate.:(

You need to get them apart. Bolt the bellhousing back up to the block with a few bolts and start over.
I doubt the service manual steered you this direction ;)
Check to make sure you got all the bolts out from the trans to the bell housing. Tom says eight.....obviously I forget :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1, I have the 7 removed. Lowered the engine/tranny as far as it will go and still I hit the frame!!!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1, I have the 7 removed. Lowered the engine/tranny as far as it will go and still I hit the frame!!!

You have the bell housing bolted back up and the bolts removed from the trans to bell housing ? Once the trans is loose it will not hit the frame but you will have to start dropping the rear of the trans to get past the cross member mounts. You removed the shift knob ?
If you want, I will pm you my number and you can call me tomorrow.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have only removed 7 bolts from the trans to bell housing your missing 1. There are 8 bolts holding them together.Thetop one on thecpassenger side is a blast to get to.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pull the hood off, disconnect everything from the engine and pull the engine out of the car. That should enable you to drop the tranny out the bottom of the car no problem ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Having done that more than once, I know how "fun" it can be.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One things to remember when pulling the trans do not let it hang on the input shaft while pulling it out. And when reinstalling if you are changing the clutch make sure the clutch is lined up perfectly. The trans should slide right up to the bell housing with very little effort. If you force it back in you stand a good chance of breaking the slave cylinder.
So make sure you hook up the clutch line to the slave cylinder right after you get the trans bolted up. This way if the cylinder did crack it will start to drip fluid. Better to find out now then after everthing else is hooked up.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roughly 30" of extension make getting to that last passenger side bell housing bolt easier.

Try sliding it slightly to the rear and lowering the rear of the trans lower than the front as you maneuver it out. Just be sure the input shaft isn't holding the weight of the unit as stated above.

:usa:

OP
OP
R

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back to it and yes, that #8 bolt has been hiding from me! Top passenger side, I thought all were out because gently pulling the tranny seperated from the bell housing over 1/2". Lucky I didn't try to force it:omg:. Thanks TONY and Tom and the rest!:2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back to it and yes, that #8 bolt has been hiding from me! Top passenger side, I thought all were out because gently pulling the tranny seperated from the bell housing over 1/2". Lucky I didn't try to force it:omg:. Thanks TONY and Tom and the rest!:2tu:

Good job !!
When I install a transmission, I put that bolt and a few others in their holes before installing the trans. To get to it, I use a long extension and have my head in the transmission tunnel.