Trunk Mounted Subwoofer

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am wanting to install a subwoofer in the trunk of my '01 RT10. Thought that I had seen such a unit that mounts on top of or somehow sits inside the spare tire. Has anyone heard of such a unit? Am not looking for "booming" base, just want to reasonably improve upon that lousy speaker that sits between the two seat backs. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any decent stereo shop should be able to build you something to fit back there at a reasonable price.

Chuck B.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a powered subwoofer in my trunk (Kenwood Excelon) and it works great. I like enough bass to give the music a full/rich sound.

Here's a pic. I removed the spare because I'll never use it on my car.

You must be registered for see images

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sub in the trunk is probably not your best option. I used JL 6.5 6W0 between seats, a 300x4 amp and JL 6.5 components in doors, excellent sound and while the 6.5 6W0 is not a true sub it does give good low. Many say 6.5 do not fit in doors without mods, wrong, they fit perfect (depth), only mods I made were rings and covers which are still basically flush. some say a sub in trunk will work, all i can say is try it for yourself and see, me personally i need what little trunk space i got, ive already got the 300x4 amp and 8 disc changer back there so its cramped with barely enough room for roof.

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses. I see the brand Kenwood coming up a couple times, however, can't imagine how they found room to mount a sub down by the passenger floorboard Yves). Anyway, am in search of Kenwood product.

SM

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gjockey:
Gary,

Do you happen to know where the crossover on your sub is set?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I have no idea. I'll check with the guys that installed it and see if they can give me any info.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rdustman,
It seems that your experience is JL audio 6.5" components fit in the doors which is great, but I personally know MB Quart nor PHL 6.5" will fit (at least not in my 1998). I tried it myself. So let's say that 6.5" door speaker fit is dependent on the speaker design/manufacturer. The JL's must have a smaller diameter magnet.

Where did you set the crossover for the 6W0? We have the same amp and sub. I have been experimenting. Thanks.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gjockey:
Gary,

Do you happen to know where the crossover on your sub is set?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked tonight and the crossover for my subwoofer is set at 160 Hz.

A few people have asked for the Kenwood model number for the subwoofer in my picture. It is KSC-WA82RC.

OP
OP
S

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to ask a favor. Can anyone out there find the Kenwood KSC-WA82RC available over the internet??? (that's the model number of the subwoofer that Gary mentions above). Have done a Google search on subwoofers and can find a bunch, but not the Kenwood. If anyone can find a site where it is available, please post the website for me. Many thanks!!

heatandair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 2 JL W1's in the trunk of my 95 and hated it. Had it pulled out the next day. No bass made it to the cabin, but you could here the rattle from a mile away. I tried 2 JL 6'' between the seats and it was O.K. Still not what i wanted. Sold the R/T for an 01 GTS just for good sound. I was in florida last week and saw a 00 R/t w/ a custom box fitted between the seats w/ an 8'' JL and it was just about right

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang