Unitrax half shafts

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know the weight difference between the 800 hp Unitrax
half shafts and the OEM ones?

While we're at it, how about the "super light" 1,000 hp ones?

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone?

I'm going to do this upgrade and curious if I'll be adding or lowering weight to the car. Also, the price difference between the standard Unitrax and the super lights is significant. If the weight savings is equally significant perhaps I'll drop the extra coin. If not, I'll use the $$ elsewhere.

Thanks,

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 800hp versions are quite a bit heavier, but I don't think the lighter ones are worth the extra coin. I think I've heard of more people breaking the 1,000hp versions than the regular 800hp ones.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 800hp versions are quite a bit heavier, but I don't think the lighter ones are worth the extra coin. I think I've heard of more people breaking the 1,000hp versions than the regular 800hp ones.

Who has broken the 1000's ? I know several of us that upgraded from 800 (because of breakage) to 1000 and haven't had a problem .................................yet.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes. Unitrax early lightweight 1000hp shafts tended to break at the welds on high HP cars.
About a year or so ago they changed the welding process and so far so good. I was told (at Unitrax) that the newest ones are the "third generation" of this halfshaft. No problem with mine yet but I dont run slicks or DR's, just pilots and I dont have a gillion horsepower.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of "Titanium" breakages.

Lots = how many ? Three above, and yes....I think they did have a problem in the beginning.

p.s. You know there not really titanium.

Hence the quotes.

I've heard of many breakages. Unitrax did say that there was a welding issue that was fixed, so maybe they are better. If Ward hasn't broken one, they must be strong. ;)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...lets forget the past and get down to hard facts.

In Bradenton, I had the 1000hp shafts, Ward had them, Roof had them on the red car. I know Ward and I changed because we had broken the 800's before and have not broken since....I think the same is true with Roof's car.

Roof's TT car had 800 Unitrax shafts and it broke one. What shafts did Mojo and 2manytoys have ?????????? Anybody else break a shaft ?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you two I was trying not to let the cat out of the bag. But since it is out and been run over.

This is what I would to the heavy duty 1/2 shafts.....(old set up)

2548SE_halfs2a.jpg

Yes the blue material are spines and yes it was a solid shaft.

Yes have been very lucky recently with no breakage and I also have many cats left in the bag......Chad and Tony....(hello) hint - hint

Cudaman :usa:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the 800's weigh 34 pounds for both per Unitrax. Didn't ask what the 1000's weigh and Devin also said there were issues earlier that have now been resolved with the 1000's.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...lets forget the past and get down to hard facts.

In Bradenton, I had the 1000hp shafts, Ward had them, Roof had them on the red car. I know Ward and I changed because we had broken the 800's before and have not broken since....I think the same is true with Roof's car.

Roof's TT car had 800 Unitrax shafts and it broke one. What shafts did Mojo and 2manytoys have ?????????? Anybody else break a shaft ?

Mojo says his shaft was a 800hp Unitrax. That's two 800hp Unitrax at Bradenton. 2manytoys, what kind of shaft was yours ?

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you guys who've been breaking shafts are in the 800++ hp range, yes?

When I'm done doing mods (never really done I guess) I won't be anywhere near 800 hp. Even with shorter gears and sticky tires I should still be ok with the 800's? Right??

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that these shafts are breaking way below their advertised/theoretical strengh rating? That said, you guys could probably honestly answer this question. What HP/TQ will break the stock shafts? Is it launching that's breaking them. I know I'm going off tangent from the original thread but it seems this group has the answer. Thanks

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was over the specs ...... wheel hop is the killer.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you guys who've been breaking shafts are in the 800++ hp range, yes?

When I'm done doing mods (never really done I guess) I won't be anywhere near 800 hp. Even with shorter gears and sticky tires I should still be ok with the 800's? Right??

Torque can be a killer too....if beyond the specs.........It is always best to have equipment over speced than under.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was around 620/620 when I broke the 800hp shaft, with no wheel hop.

This is what happens (according to Unitrax)

The splines twist in the shaft (not really broken??) and once the splines twist, the shaft can no longer collapse (move in and out on itself) so when you take off and the car squats it puts pressure on the u-joint...that will junk the u-joint. In Wards pic.....I don't know...the shaft just fkd up :)

I can't answer on the stock shafts...just like anything, they may break and they may not. JDawg is still running stock shafts. One of the first things I did to my car was replace the shafts to prevent breakage.....broke one anyway. LOL

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing this old thread back to life.. sorry folks!

So if one was to have roughly 700-800rwhp and 800-900+rwtq, could the 800hp half shafts hold, or will 1000's be the only choice?

Or will neither hold and have to spend some coin on a MW setup? I'm looking to buy some hoosier D/R's and plan on launching as hard as possible.

Moparjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the 800 HP ones very hard, many times, in my old car which was a 750 RWHP SC GTS on drag radials and had no problems - ran 10.50s at 135 or so.

I just so happen to have a set of 800 HP Unitrax shafts I would sell if your interested, I upgraded to the Mark Williams setup on my new TT build car. They are in good shape, just make me an offer.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the 800 HP ones very hard, many times, in my old car which was a 750 RWHP SC GTS on drag radials and had no problems - ran 10.50s at 135 or so.

I just so happen to have a set of 800 HP Unitrax shafts I would sell if your interested, I upgraded to the Mark Williams setup on my new TT build car. They are in good shape, just make me an offer.

You have PM