"Upgrading" to another Viper

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Upgrading\" to another Viper

I'm killing some time at home right now, so this could get long.

I find myself in a heavenly situation that I would have never have dreamed I'd be in a couple of years ago. I've had my 94 for almost ten years, purchased an 01 about 17 months ago and an 04 about 2 months ago (the latter two as business requirements). I was pretty excited to get the 04 as I have never even sat in a g3 car until I bought it. My wife and I have been driving it everywhere the last couple of months and having a blast. I love the quality of the car, the interior, the radio that sounds decent, the look out over the hood with the sharp fenders, the nice and easy top, and The Power. Overall, its also a great looking car that (to my surprise) will turn heads just like our Gen 1's and 2's. I was pretty convinced that if I had to keep one Viper, the 04 was it.

Until today...

The 04 is ******* right now for the hardtop project and my wife wanted a Viper to run an errand with this evening. I dusted off the 94, charged the battery and took it for the first drive in 7 months to make sure all systems were GO. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was shocked to discover how much more fun I was having driving that car. It fit me better. The seating position and the way the car drove, handled, behaved, was simply more fun. Maybe not better, but definately more fun. The interior had a more open/roadster feel and was less cave-like than the gen 3. It felt like it had more torque in the low RPMS (fun for around town). Then of course there is the drop dead georgous, look like nothing else, I have the coolest hood ever to hit pavement, only should have been a show-car, appearance.

We have a game that we play with people when they come into our shop and see all 3 Vipers. They are usually average Joe's that rarely get to even see one up close. The simple question is "which one would you pick?". The gen 2 car wins every time. EVERY TIME.

I wish I could put my finger on what it is about each of the different cars that makes them so desirable in different ways. When the gen 3 car came out it seemed only natural to envy the guy who had the latest and greatest. I now know there is no need for that. It truely depends on what you like.

The point to all of this is simple: I am in posession of all 3 cars right now and I think it is just about impossible to tell anyone which one is THE BEST. Some guys can do it because they know for sure they want a car with windows. Or a Viper without sidepipes just is not a real Viper. They have there mind already set. If I had to pick only one to keep forever, I can tell you with all certainty that I do not have the answer.

Enjoy what you have.

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: \"Upgrading\" to another Viper

Glad to hear that the '94 rates that high to you. My '94 is the one and only Viper that I've driven and I love it. Like driving an old Cobra around. :usa:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

..We could call you Dr Roof, but that name's taken.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Upgrading\" to another Viper

I'm killing some time at home right now, so this could get long.

I find myself in a heavenly situation that I would have never have dreamed I'd be in a couple of years ago. I've had my 94 for almost ten years, purchased an 01 about 17 months ago and an 04 about 2 months ago (the latter two as business requirements)...

Two Vipers as business requirements, how do I get a business like that?!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Make stuff like this:

1186P1010145-med.JPG

and this (unfinished/ work-in-progress)

1186P1010104-med.JPG

1186P1010103-med.JPG

And some other super cool stuff for 03+ Vipers on the way...

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Nice. I was fortunate enough to add a third Viper to my garage and considered a Gen III. Didn't take long to decide on another Gen II. They just have the looks and I couldn't spend 80K on a car that was less visually appealing regardless of the other improvements. Gen I/IIs are truly a work of art. Enjoy!

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Now Jeff' if you moved to Florida you could drive all three all year round. Heh Heh Heh (Just a little jealous that you have all 3!

I personally would let the wife drive the Gen III, I thought relatively long and hard before buying the 98/RT, I think it has the best of all Viper worlds except no side-pipes, but otherwise it pretty much exemplifies the cars best assets, not to refined but usable as a daily driver if necessary or desired. Great post.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jeff, Nice looking top on the Gen III!!!

One thought, try adding a little double bubble to it, but maybe match the lines to the fender lines so it flows with the car, unlike the Gen II double bubble top on the current Gen III coupe.

just a thought......

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great post! I'm in the "a Viper without sidepipes just is not a real Viper" club
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I second that!

4030103622000_GTS_.jpg

4030DSC02742-med.JPG

Great story Jeff. If I had the room, I'd but another Steel Grey GTS. I love the SRT/10 though, and don't think I could give it up.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Same here. I love the SRT. I know I can't keep all 3 forvever and its tearing me apart trying to decdide which one to keep. They are all so great.

Nice SRT. I love the silver. I'll be doing something very special for that car soon. I can reveal details in a couple of months.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang