Valve chatter normal?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howdy, I don't know whether this is normal of the Viper engine or not...the car is still new to me, and as I'm getting used to driving it, I'll start noticing more and more sounds. One noise I've noticed are the valves. During idle, I can hardly hear them...I can mostly hear them when I'm coasting or just cruising at 1500-2000 rpm. When I accelerate, the exhaust drowns the valve sound out, but when cruising around surface streets I hear it.

I can't really hear it on the highway/freeway because of tire roar.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper valve train is noisy by default, even more so with roller rockers, so in general no worries. When I got my first GTS I took it to the local Dodge Viper tech and asked him to listen and let me know whether it was too loud and he reassured me all Vipers have loud valve trains.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper valve train is noisy by default, even more so with roller rockers, so in general no worries. When I got my first GTS I took it to the local Dodge Viper tech and asked him to listen and let me know whether it was too loud and he reassured me all Vipers have loud valve trains.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply. I was expecting a rough lumpy idle (which I absolutely love....a Viper just wouldn't be a viper without a lumpy idle), but I wasn't sure whether valve noise was normal or not. Thanks again!

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are your t&d rockers shimmed? maybe hitting your baffles inside valve covers.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
are your t&d rockers shimmed? maybe hitting your baffles inside valve covers.

Not sure. Car didn't come with previous maintenance records. I don't know (8K miles on '97 GTS) whether the car has had any previous valve adjustments or not.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's no NSX Mel,is it ;) .

Bat™

ROFL! You got that right! Its fun, but as a newb Viper owner, I'm still paranoid about every little noise this car makes...I'll have it checked out as soon as my warranty papers come in. That's definetly the positive thing about the NSX. Its as solid and reliable as an accord!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why. Had a stock GTS before the current one which came with the R&R's. I did check and there is no clearance problem as the baffle was dimpled a bit to make room and as far as I know the shimming is correct. It just sounds a little louder which is subjective of course.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no NSX Mel,is it ;) .

Bat™

ROFL! You got that right! Its fun, but as a newb Viper owner, I'm still paranoid about every little noise this car makes...I'll have it checked out as soon as my warranty papers come in. That's definetly the positive thing about the NSX. Its as solid and reliable as an accord!

And almost as good looking ;)

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure why. Had a stock GTS before the current one which came with the R&R's. I did check and there is no clearance problem as the baffle was dimpled a bit to make room and as far as I know the shimming is correct. It just sounds a little louder which is subjective of course.
Why? Because it wasn't stock.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really, I swear my harlands not only smoothed out some valve train vibration, but also I had less "Valve train noise".
My exhaust tone got slightly louder and the sound changed a bit.
But my last post was directed at the comment you made about a stock GTS with RR's. They didn't come from the factory with RR's. They had to have been added after. Also the fact that the baffle's were marked from the rockers hitting them should tell you that they were not factory. Not a flame, just trying to keep things straight :2tu:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, I mentioned above that alot of the ticking you'll hear is coming from the injectors. You will realy notice it with a stock exhaust system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant