Vec 3 questions???

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to buy a second hand (only has 100 miles on it) Vec 3 for my 97 gts which has no cats, corsa exhaust, jesel 1.7's, air filter and smooth tubes. I just have a question or 2 before I pull the trigger.....

1. Is this something I can fit myself? I am not a mechanic but do like to do the simple jobs myself.

2. What kind of gains do you think are realistic from adding this to my set up? I am making 453 rwhp at the moment. I would only be going with a card pre written for my mods as there is no where around here (that i know of) that could tune this for me.

Thanks for any advice :)

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the Vec3 on my (srt-10)and at the time I had very little grease monkey skills. I do however enjoy electrical stuff. If you take your time, TAKE YOUR TIME, it's no problem to install. There are a lot of wires to cut and reconnect but not rocket science. The instruction that came with mine were precise and walked you through step by step. Sean will give you a card based on your mods for your car and he would be better at telling you what increase you would get. I got about 15rwhp on the top end but a very nice 25rwhp & Trq in the mid range. A lot of people focus on top end numbers but to me that "where I drive" power is whats important. Without a dyno to tune on you will have to trust whatever experience people have here or what sean tells you.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to buy a second hand (only has 100 miles on it) Vec 3 for my 97 gts which has no cats, corsa exhaust, jesel 1.7's, air filter and smooth tubes. I just have a question or 2 before I pull the trigger.....

1. Is this something I can fit myself? I am not a mechanic but do like to do the simple jobs myself.

2. What kind of gains do you think are realistic from adding this to my set up? I am making 453 rwhp at the moment. I would only be going with a card pre written for my mods as there is no where around here (that i know of) that could tune this for me.

Thanks for any advice :)

The key to a good Vec tune is the AFR, without it, you're shooting in the dark. Send the dyno sheet (with AFR) to Sean at Roe Racing and he'll create a custom tune for your Viper. I'd also ping DamnYankee (see his tuning write-ups in the how-to). Yankee was nice enough to guide me through the tuning process.

The Vec3 install is fairly easy if, as others stated, you take your time and follow the directions. I picked up approximately 35rwhp with my Vec3 tune from Sean but what I particularly felt SOTP and was pleased to see were the gains I picked up under the peak. The Vec3 is a wonderful unit but if I were to do it again I'd purchase an SCT tuner. While my Open Loop is running great now I need a tune for closed loop, less than 80% throttle, which the Vec3 doesn't help with. Actually, I'd have both as I know I'll be going SC someday which is the reason I picked up the Vec3.

Have fun with it. Get to know Sean and DamnYankee, they are great help with the vec.

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DITTO on what's been said...Sean Roe/RoeRacing has helped us also with our VECII (improperly installed first time, corrected by a more experienced mechanic) install...and as stated, simply email him your information, and he can get you cards sent for your specific tune! He is awesome, and as Tony said, DamnYankee also has helped many with his tutorials. So, you're getting advice that is quite similar here!~! GOOD LUCK and ENJOY! ~juli
**Sean could tell you what gains to expect**

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I have gone ahead and got it (wont be here for a few weeks). Ill be sure to take my time with the install and ill apologise now for all the noob questions ill be asking along the way :s ....

Thanks again for all your opinions and advice!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I have gone ahead and got it (wont be here for a few weeks). Ill be sure to take my time with the install and ill apologise now for all the noob questions ill be asking along the way :s ....

Thanks again for all your opinions and advice!

Check out the tuning forum and do not hesitate to post your Vec3 questions there. http://forums.viperclub.org/tuning/

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the Vec3 on my (srt-10)and at the time I had very little grease monkey skills. I do however enjoy electrical stuff. If you take your time, TAKE YOUR TIME, it's no problem to install. There are a lot of wires to cut and reconnect but not rocket science. The instruction that came with mine were precise and walked you through step by step. Sean will give you a card based on your mods for your car and he would be better at telling you what increase you would get. I got about 15rwhp on the top end but a very nice 25rwhp & Trq in the mid range. A lot of people focus on top end numbers but to me that "where I drive" power is whats important. Without a dyno to tune on you will have to trust whatever experience people have here or what sean tells you.

A gen2 Vec is almost plug and play compared to the gen3 :headbang:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont be long now....
I put the GT2 wing on the other day and finished a few othe little bits and pieces and i believe the car is getting the AEM mid november..

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont be long now....
I put the GT2 wing on the other day and finished a few othe little bits and pieces and i believe the car is getting the AEM mid november..

Thanks Baz, car is patiently waiting (not that it will be going anywhere, she is down for the winter). I hate winter now that i have a Viper! :(

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Re: Fall Foliage Tour Event - October 26
RSVP List:
The Spirit + 1
Skeeter + 1
City + 1
*** Black + 1
Mike & Juli
MKTaxman
Wiz