VENOM 600 WITH SALVAGE TITLE... WORTH IT??

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 99 ACR with the 600 Venom upgrade package (8600 miles). The car has a salvage title due to front end damage- no frame damage, however it has been completely restored (according to seller) and looks good from the photos, whatever can be gathered by that of course. I had a few questions:

1. are Vipers with a salvage title hard to resell?
2. What percentage of a clear titled Viper should one with a salvage title be worth? Assuming it is properly rebuilt of course.
3. What should a car like this be worth?

Thank you! Also, who should I have in the VCA check the car out before I give a deposit? It is in clearwater, FL (I live in Tennessee).

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug Levins shop is just 5 minutes from hollywood Florida, he checked out my new 97 B&W Rt/10 in hollywood for me and he did a heck of a job doing it! Give Doug a call,

Steve

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey GTS-R 001, u got enough snakes or what?! geez leave some for the rest of us po' folk.
but yea give DL a call, he'll give the ACR a clean bill of health or not.
he'll know what to look for.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont have a problem with buying a salvage title car but it has to be at the right price. somewhere in the 20% off range would be worth it.

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The car has a salvage title due to front end damage- no frame damage"

I don't believe that there wasn't any frame damage with front end damage and salvage title.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a salvage title, you should plan on driving the heck out of it, and NOT selling it later.
Salvage titled Vipers are NOT in demand. I wouldn't pay more than $35k, and that's if it's in GREAT shape now.

For $10k more you can get into a clean titled GTS with some miles on it.
The venom 600 sounds appealing. But who knows if it ever made that power. And I'd dyno it again to see where it stands.

Good luck. I would like to see the dyno numbers and report after it's checked out.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The venom 600 sounds appealing. But who knows if it ever made that power. And I'd dyno it again to see where it stands.
Good luck. I would like to see the dyno numbers and report after it's checked out.

What he said!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but Salvage Vipers are worth alot less than a clean titled one. Most Banks will not finance the car, a service contract is not available, and resale is not in the equation. I would estimate buying a wrecked Snake at 35-50% off normal price ( not high retail ), and most should be used for race cars or something else. Sorry, but most Dealers will not buy the car, and problems many have had thinking the car was back up to ***** and then having to do more repairs out of pocket, probably add to the lack of interest.

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having owned and sold several salvage title cars. I would generally agree with what is being said. I can tell you when I listed my 2000 RT/10 in the auto-trader and did not disclose the rebuilt title until someone called. (The first thing I told them) 95% of the people we not interested. I got at least 10 calls a week on the car and maybe 1 of those people would let me get past (It has a rebuilt title) I thought if I could at least get someone to look at the car and disclose everything that they would consider it, but most won't. The first guy that did come look at it, bought it. It's shame since many of these cars are "fixed right". As I have posted on many times before, it's amazing how many "clean title" vipers are out there that have been totaled. There are MANY unsuspecting Viper owners out there driving their CLEAN cars with no idea of it's trus history. Carfax is a good guide, but don't bet the ranch it's accurate! If the car is what you want, don't let the those words on the title scare you from owning your dream car. Just know it will be much harder to sell if you ever decide to do so.....

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to be parting with my black/silver ACR to warrant the cost of buying this one. However, from what I'm hearing the [******] package may not be enough to offset the title issue. I wouldn't plan on selling the car, but I don't know if I should get into this can of worms from what I've been reading above.

He was going to sell it to me for $44k, which is probably about what I'd get for my ACR with 33k miles and a few mods (belanger exhaust/headers, and a few other small upgrades).

So it's not a good idea eh?

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow it bleeped out [******] 600, but you guys know what I'm talking about...

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would estimate buying a wrecked Snake at 35-50% off normal price

Wasn't sure about Vipers, but I agree with the 35-40%.... I've purchased Salvaged before.. I always estimated at paying no more than 40% of a clean titled vehicle. Cause if/when you look to dump it, someone typically has to come with cold cash to take it off your hands. I've never seen financing avail for salv vehicles. Yeah, offer the 25K and have some fun with it!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I bought my 96' RT/10, I toyed with the idea of buying a 94' RT/10 w/18k miles w/a salvage title. I am parts manager at a mitsubishi dealership, so I called all the major bodyshops around town and all agreed the value would be about 50% of a clean title Viper. Might've bought it if the carlot wasnt asking $33,000 (non-negotiable) for the car when the KBB (yes, I know book values on Vipers are generally way off) value on a clean title Viper is only about $30k!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was going to sell it to me for $44k, which is probably about what I'd get for my ACR with 33k miles and a few mods (belanger exhaust/headers, and a few other small upgrades).

I'm sure he'd sell it quickly for $44k! :shocked: :p

Keep your ACR and drive it for another 50k miles. Then you can sell it for $38-40k and get something else. Do NOT get rid of it for a Salvage Title Viper. Heck, it could end up costing you alot more if it wasn't repaired perfectly.

Good luck! :2tu:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jacob...do yourself a *big* favor and forgetaboutit.
Say, you ever think about putting a Paxton on that ACR.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not quite 50%, but 30% is about right. Too many factors than to just put an arbitry percentage. As the car gets older the salvage depriciation is not as important as condition. A 67 Corvette big block that has been restored is not going to be effected much by salvage histroy.

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jacob...do yourself a *big* favor and forgetaboutit.
Say, you ever think about putting a Paxton on that ACR.

I'm going to have to agree here. I bought a Cobra with a salvage title once, I'll never do it again.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jacob

are you interested in selling your car if you find one?

let me know what your plans are.

John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang