VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

this thread is cool.... hu huuuhuu hu hu

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Torquey helped make the whole thing worth reading. Very good! Thanks

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Has VIPAIR been tested in the southern hemisphere?

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It looks like 900 is in reach, but 1000 may not be in the cards.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It looks like 900 is in reach, but 1000 may not be in the cards.

The little train that was destined for 1,000 posts.

"I think I can, I think I can"

S

SUN RA KAT

I left on a few day's trip the morning of the 17th and a few hours later this thread stopped? I got back yesterday afternoon and was able to read all the posts I missed in less than 2 minutes.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I refuse to let it die a slow and agonizing death,,,,,,,,,,

Vipair Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, let's stir up some controversy just to get people back into the swing of things. Let's see now ... I heard that the new Corvette will smoke a Viper in every performance category.

S

SUN RA KAT

Hey, let's stir up some controversy just to get people back into the swing of things. Let's see now ... I heard that the new Corvette will smoke a Viper in every performance category.

That's only because they stole the design of the Vipair and are putting their version on the C6 Vette as standard equipment.

(That oughta stir up some controversy.)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Admit it - you've all missed this thread - and now you need a distraction from that Cobrakid with a Vette fetish - crying over the Viper not fitting him right.... as though a genuine 427 Cobra ever fitted anyone over 6 foot either.

I found this quote below - and I know that GTSDean will be so happy that I took the liberty to quote him here -

thanks are not necessary Dean - it's all part of the service :D

Now listen up - because he makes the very point that several of us made weeks and weeks ago while everyone was running around dynos - which ARE MEANINGLESS for simulating real world conditions - and ducting cold air specifically.

NB: I have no clue whether Vipair works in the real world or not - and don't care... but this example below is real world from a real world racer and the same MIGHT apply to the Vipair as it did to the airbox made by the one who cannot be named... aka John H - the one in Texas, in Houston, who makes Venom twin turbos... ;)

"Let's talk about air boxes then. I've dyno'd my GTS on 4 different machines since '99 and from 11k to 25k miles. With the exception of a mustang shop in SA that wasn't properly altitude corrected, every one indicated between 410 and 413hp with a fully warmed engine. New u-joints and diff made no measureable difference on my car from my March and December '03 pulls. Stock airbox with smoothies and K&Ns dyno'd the same on a hot, humid day in Houston as the [******] CF box did on a cold, dry day in SA. However, at TWS, my front straight speeds are about 4-6mph higher with the [******] box, and my trap speeds at the strip are up from ~116mph to consistently around 121+ mph. I don't give a rat's a$$ how much fan you blow at the front end, you will not duplicate the pressure differences at the airbox in real life. Saturday, my cool engine made 8hp more than my warm engine. It was the only time I've seen this "magic" 420hp number for my filters and tubes car." quoted from GTS Dean without permission :D - so shoot me :p

Now of particular note is the comment about the rats a$$ - because that's all the fan is. Get a stop watch and onto a track and some real speeds - none of this 50mph pansy stuff.... then you'll know.

Old Mopar racers will know that it took 30 square inches of frontal intake scoop area to net around 20-30hp over 100mph of cold air compared to taking in underhood air. No fan and dyno would measure a thing - but the traps don't lie.

IS that stirred up enough Sun Ka Rat? :cool:

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Why did you ressurect this thread Torq??? :laugh:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

There used to be an intake scoop for C4 Vettes that netted 1 psi at 100 mph, so I'm told.

1 psi over what? Is that atmospheric (14.7 psi?) plus the claimed 1 psi, for a total of about 16 psi at sea level? I dunno.

Hey Torquemonster, what kind of vaccum exists in the intake, at say, mid range rpm, while a Viper is doing 100 mph in the incident wind? Does the vacuum level off as the engine rpm increases?

Also, when we use the term "vacuum" while discussing the engine intake, is it really a vacuum in the strictest sense of the word, (less than 0 psi), or is it just a lessening of the atmospheric pressure? (less than 14.7 psi, but not less then 0 psi) Inquiring minds want to know!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

everything torquey said ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

put that in your vipair and smoke it!!!! :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also, when we use the term "vacuum" while discussing the engine intake, is it really a vacuum in the strictest sense of the word, (less than 0 psi), or is it just a lessening of the atmospheric pressure? (less than 14.7 psi, but not less then 0 psi) Inquiring minds want to know!

There is only one kind of vacuum. That is when a localized pressure is less than the surrounding environment. That pressure differential creates flow toward the lower pressure. Vacuum is a term used to indicate the differential pressure below atmospheric (nominally 14.7 psi). There is no such thing as an absolute pressure less than 0. Just like there is no temperature of less than 0 Kelvin.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What Ron said Vic.... hehehe

I've never driven a Viper with a boost/vacuum guage in it yet to get the readings - but that should change early next year.... grin

There's no way I can see effective pumping boost into an engine by ram air - it'd take a lot of speed to do that. If that worked we'd see cars driving around looking like that Pelican on "Finding Nemo" with its beak wide open.... singing "free hp!!" :D

But there is a benefit of ramming cold air in - the cold air being more important than the ram. The 30sq inch scoops really made a difference over 100mph - but for the super stockers that trapped at 125mph upwards - it was worth it. Vacuum would be almost 0 at wot.

as for partial throttle vacuum at speed - that will be a function of a lot of things - especially cam spec and timing... the vacuum will drop as speeds/drag etc starts to load the engine more to maintain the extra speed.

I can't be more specific than that as I don't have any data at the moment. In other words my mental encyclopedia is empty... :D :D

but good questions.

What were they again? :D

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't give a rat's a$$ about any of it; unless you have a stand alone engine management system to dial the mods in, you're wasting money. DC didn't program for it.

I thought this was 6 foot under. Reminds me of a wedding gift I bought for an uncle on his third marriage.

This $hit is getting tired.

Go outside, put a piece of cooked popcorn on your duct, crank the engine, open the door, walk calmy to the front, and observe vacuum. The kernel ain't there.

Then run down the hall way of your house with your vacuum cleaner on, hose out front, and see if you can measure how much MORE air you sucked in because you were running forward.

When you're done with that, dyno your car to see if you have gained any measurable HP increase by unplugging the vacuum, and then run it at the track & post slips.

Then we'll know.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't give a rat's a$$ about any of it; unless you have a stand alone engine management system to dial the mods in, you're wasting money. DC didn't program for it.

I thought this was 6 foot under. Reminds me of a wedding gift I bought for an uncle on his third marriage.

No flame here but its not like this is a pop up add our appearing on your TV screen.If you dont "give a rats a$$" then maybe you should continue to the next thread

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry about your rats a$$. Hope you find some ointment for that.

Glad you were so tired you coudn't post ;) :p

I've got an excellent idea for a wedding present for your uncles 4th marriage...

it's a crate of Pencarrow Chardonay - a subtle naughty little number that tastes somewhat like weasil piss sifted through a mouldy baleclava - your uncle will love you for it :2tu: - heck it's your uncle - would you give your own family a stone?

- get two cases! :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go outside, put a piece of cooked popcorn on your duct, crank the engine, open the door, walk calmy to the front, and observe vacuum. The kernel ain't there.

Then run down the hall way of your house with your vacuum cleaner on, hose out front, and see if you can measure how much MORE air you sucked in because you were running forward.

When you're done with that, dyno your car to see if you have gained any measurable HP increase by unplugging the vacuum, and then run it at the track & post slips.

Then we'll know.

Big Med hate to burst your bubble but this is one area that the engine calibration is made to automatically compensate for. That is inlet air temperature and/or manifold absolute pressure are variables that the engine controller is monitoring and adjust fuel and spark for. If you get more pressure or lower temps the engine will respond accordingly, as long as it is within the calibrations range of authority.

I also hate to say it but I still am interested in hearing either measured values (temps and pressure) using accurate equipment under real world conditions (not dyno) or vehicle performance data as Torquemonster indicated.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lighten up Francis. It's just a post. (Viper SRT, you posted too quick; I wanted your spot on the thread)

Although I disagree. I really believe the factory programming left a lot on the table.......sincerely, EMS is where I really believe the mods should start, then top & bottom engine work.

But as pointed out, I know squat. I say everyone buy till their heart's content. If it makes a person happy, who am I to complain?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

There is no such thing as an absolute pressure less than 0. Just like there is no temperature of less than 0 Kelvin.

Doh! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4