Viper and Z06 Owners

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

My friend is torn between purchasing a Z06 or a Viper. I was hoping to speak with someone who owns both (or owned both at one time). What are your thoughts between a Z06 and Viper?

Thanks in advance,
D

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned both!

I just sold my 2007 Z06 to purchase my Viper.
Depending on what year Viper your friend is looking at there are alot of differences.
I own a 2001 GTS and it's alot different than my Z06 was.
2001 GTS vs C6 Z06 power edge to Z06
looks: Viper
Interior: Viper
Creature Features: Z06
Safety features: Z06
Gas mileage: Z06
Feel of owning a real performance vehicle: Viper
Daily Driver :Z06
But my comparisons are a 2001 vs a 2007 so alot to be said. I did own a 2003 Z06 and stock for stock the 2001 Viper would kick it's ass all day.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently own an '06 Viper coupe and a '09 Z06. Had both for a couple years now, and drive each frequently.

Z06 is better for daily driving, more comfortable to live with on a daily basis. They are faster (stock) than any Gen 1-3 Viper, but the Gen 4 will edge one out.

Viper is more raw, unrefined, sort of like a classic musclecar that can actually handle and turn excellent. Attention-wise, there is no contest. Viper makes a statement, Z06 blends in with commuter cars.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you search back through threads on this site, you'll see that I'm in the same position that your friend is. I'm also going to assume you mean a C6 Z06 vs a gen 3 or gen 4 viper, since a C5 Z06 is now only 20k or so and a comparable year viper costs much more.

I compared a gen 3 viper and a c6z as they are both in the same price range. However, I realized after experiencing both that they are not as similar as you would think. I grew up dreaming about a Corvette as my future sports car, and vipers as an impossible dream. Partly because of their exotic rarity and partly because of all the complaining usual car magazines and shows did about the car. The viper was always compared to vettes and no matter which model was faster than the other, the reviewers almost always chose the vette.

So I started saving up for a c6z and I didn't pay any serious attention to vipers. I read up on everything z06 related and decided what years, colors, etc I wanted. Then, I decided that before I purchase one, I should experience one just to be sure. I also decided I should have something to compare the car to, so I chose my "foolish childhood dream" - the viper.

I found the vette to be everything I had expected...it was great. Great sounds, great practicality, great noise, etc. I was disappointed there wasn't a convertible option, for the z06, but I knew I would be happy with a fixed roof anyway.

Then I posted my thread on here looking for a test drive...instead I got a ride in one from a member here, and everything I had planned with a vette melted away. The viper was about a hundred times more exciting than the vette. Not only that, but every complaint I read or heard about the viper turned out to be a non-issue for me. I finally drove one a couple weeks ago, and that sealed the deal. It was a rough, no compromise car and I loved it.

So what do I recommend? Your friend needs to try both out for themselves. I think most people would choose the z06. I know some viper owners won't agree, but I'd say the z06 beats the viper in almost every category on paper. However, for me there became no question as to what I would own. The viper has the advantage in all the intangibles. Things you can't read about or have someone describe to you. You just have to experience it yourself. That's why I chose a viper, and why I'm buying one this winter.

Good luck to your friend.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently still own both, LOVE my vette but both my vipers > my vette

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better.

I currently own an '06 Viper coupe and a '09 Z06. Had both for a couple years now, and drive each frequently.

Z06 is better for daily driving, more comfortable to live with on a daily basis. They are faster (stock) than any Gen 1-3 Viper, but the Gen 4 will edge one out.

Viper is more raw, unrefined, sort of like a classic musclecar that can actually handle and turn excellent. Attention-wise, there is no contest. Viper makes a statement, Z06 blends in with commuter cars.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a z06 and loved it.Went to a local vette show sunday and it was vette after vette after vette.New z06 was 100k....geeess....really?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's footbal season, so here is a football analogy...

The Viper is like the 1985-6 Chicago Bears Super Bowl team. The Vette is like the 1984-85 San Fransico 49er's Super Bowl team.

The Bears were rough, edgy, scary, and full of caharacter rock stars. The 49er's were easy to watch and enjoy, but a bit bland and looked like they were in cruise control. Both winners, but very different...

Oh, crap... just have him drive both.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I promise he'll love the Vette...they're seriously awesome.

Tell him to drive the Viper first...if he "gets" it, he'll know immediately, and nothing else will matter...including the Z06

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SlayerLS1 definitely stated it well. I was also making a choice between a C6 Z06 and a Viper before I picked up my '05 Viper in May. The C6 Z06 is definitely fast and has a lot of tech goodies, but the Viper just got the emotional win. And there is a lot to be said about simple, brute power without the typical electronic nannies; it's a lot of fun. :)

-Jon

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im still of the belief, if you have to ask....you should buy the vette cause you will never "get it"

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you want the car for? How/how often will you drive it?

The Vette and Viper are two totally different cars. Obviously the vette is easier to live with and has a roomier interior and more luggage room etc. The Viper is more exotic and you won't see another 1 or 5 at every cruise night you go to.

I hate to say it but I drive my vette more often and it is way faster than my Viper but my Z06 is a Callaway with 652 hp/ 620 tq. To my amazement the Callaway gets more attention than my Viper but that is only because it is a Callaway and has a CF hood and a big shiny blower under the hood that you can kinda see even when the hood is shut. Had it been a regular Z06 I do not think anybody would give it a second look. The Viper gets almost as much attention and it is bone stock. It sounds awesome/different/exotic with the Random Tech/Corsa exhaust but that also makes it not as much fun as the Z on long trips or if you want to listen to the stereo. I also feel I cannot leave the Viper unattended anyplace which makes it less appealing in some instances. All that said, the Viper is a keeper and god willing the Callaway Z will eventually be replaced by the next best thing if this economy ever turns around.

You really got to ask yourself what you want this car for, they are two very different cars both with their own strong points. Both are awesome cars so you really can't go wrong either way. Good luck with your decision.

BenDiem

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^All great posts above, but more importantly, accurate...

I had an '09 Z06 for two years, along w/my '09 SRTC. I trade/purchase new cars every other Spring. I just traded in one of my cars for a new car. Guess which car was traded?

Yep, the Z06 was traded. I drove it for two years and enjoyed it, but it ain't no Viper...

Cheers,

BB

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the z06. Wouldn't mind one in addition to my viper.

Went to a car show a couple of weeks ago. 1 Viper, 4 z06 vettes, 20 vettes altogether. Up to you. ;)

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These type of threads have been beat to death comparing the Viper against "X" brand vehicle, I am along the same lines as Plum, if you have to ask then you Might as well buy the vette. It's the same on my Harley, why not get the comfortable Goldwing?, if you have to ask then you don't get it. I bought my Viper without ever having driven one, I wanted one, I bought one and I have NO regrets about my choice. I bought the car for me not anyone else and I really enjoy the vehicle whenever I get the chance to take it out of the garage. You do have to be more careful about where you park but that's the price you pay for owning a Viper. Cruise any mall parking lot and see how many vettes you see there, door to door, with all the other riff raff..... Jeff

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had the Vette. It was my dream car to get and I still turn my head every time I see one. They are great cars. Then I got my GTS and sold the Vette, then got my 05 Viper and sold the GTS. Next will be an ACR or a Lambo but I just couldnt go back to a Vette. It would seem wrong in every way and would be a step backwards in my mind. I have friends with new Z06's and they love them. They really are great cars but they just arent a Viper !!!

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
could not of said it better. My ZO6 gets plenty of attention. Ive done some mods that assure that. Both cars are sweet. The Viper almoost draws to much attention, if that is your thing.
What do you want the car for? How/how often will you drive it?

The Vette and Viper are two totally different cars. Obviously the vette is easier to live with and has a roomier interior and more luggage room etc. The Viper is more exotic and you won't see another 1 or 5 at every cruise night you go to.

I hate to say it but I drive my vette more often and it is way faster than my Viper but my Z06 is a Callaway with 652 hp/ 620 tq. To my amazement the Callaway gets more attention than my Viper but that is only because it is a Callaway and has a CF hood and a big shiny blower under the hood that you can kinda see even when the hood is shut. Had it been a regular Z06 I do not think anybody would give it a second look. The Viper gets almost as much attention and it is bone stock. It sounds awesome/different/exotic with the Random Tech/Corsa exhaust but that also makes it not as much fun as the Z on long trips or if you want to listen to the stereo. I also feel I cannot leave the Viper unattended anyplace which makes it less appealing in some instances. All that said, the Viper is a keeper and god willing the Callaway Z will eventually be replaced by the next best thing if this economy ever turns around.

You really got to ask yourself what you want this car for, they are two very different cars both with their own strong points. Both are awesome cars so you really can't go wrong either way. Good luck with your decision.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slayer was on target for sure, but Plum is dead on. If you even have a slight doubt it's not for you.

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if your bud is looking at a new car @ $70k plus or a used gts for half.....
But I would rent - ( borrow/steal !) one for a day if possible-sure some bucks for that- but a 5 minute
Test drive tells you little if you are pondering this...