Viper Body Panel Material(s)

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find anything. Dumb question but what type of material are the 08 body panels made of (doors, hood, hatch, coupe roof, etc.) and is this material stronger than standard metal panels? How crack resistant is it? Is the same material used in all 4 Viper generations or have there been changes in materials

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's called RIM from Romeo RIM, INC.

Reaction Injection Molding (RIM) is a process where two liquid components are injected into a mold and a chemical reaction between the liquids results in a solid plastic part being formed.

For the body, I believe they also add filler fibers for strength...

It's been used since 2003 for all the ZB models III and IVs

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find anything. Dumb question but what type of material are the 08 body panels made of (doors, hood, hatch, coupe roof, etc.) and is this material stronger than standard metal panels? How crack resistant is it? Is the same material used in all 4 Viper generations or have there been changes in materials

body panels except hood and deck and trunk are RIM
resistant to DENTS vs metal
(It wont CRACK when metal would dent)
Flexible enuf to NOTcrack like an egg...but it does crack.

many parts of Gen 1 Viper were NOT RIM.

JeffY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood, coupe roof and hatch are SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). You would normally call it fiberglass. It starts out as a small square of material, is put in a big press and molded under tons of pressure. The trunk material is BMC - bulk molded compound - similar but the oreientation and size of the fiberglass strands are different, but is still molded. The composition of the fiberglass strands, size, direction and type of fillers used in the compound to bond the mixture together determines the strength of the material. Also, the material thickness affects its properties as well. Panels can be bonded to metal, have metal reinforcements in it, bonded to itself -all kinds of assemby techniques.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but it does crack

Guess: The paint cracks before the panel?!

That's what happened when I was rear ended in my Mustang. Bumper was fine, but I got cracks in the (6 year old) paint... I also got rear ended in my 06' viper, not as hard though (but the awful sound of the impact made me believe the whole rear was bashed in!), and there was not a trace (my Viper tech and a collision expert inspected it). Just a couple of minor hair fine scratches that buffed out....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And, in my 99 Shop manual it says,
"Resin Transfer Molded (RTM) body panels are reinforced with a continuos fiberglass mesh."

Bumper covers - Sheet Molded Compound (SMC).

Instructions for repairs are also included in the Shop manual from Chrysler.

Ted

OP
OP
S

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. What is the general availability of these 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation composite panels as replacement panels if one needs to replace it? Who makes these panels? Are they subcontracted out and made by another company? My biggest fear is that the viper gets axed and we can no longer buy replacements.

Do you think there will be a time when these panels will no longer be produced in the near future?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best person to ask that question is Jonb (Online Shopping - Home) as he sells that stuff for half(?) the Dealer price.

Gen 2 hood is worth as much or almost as much as an entire car from Dodge. Make sure you have good insurance.

Ted

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, in my 99 Shop manual it says,
"Resin Transfer Molded (RTM) body panels are reinforced with a continuos fiberglass mesh."

Bumper covers - Sheet Molded Compound (SMC).

Instructions for repairs are also included in the Shop manual from Chrysler.

Ted
He was asking specifically about a 2008. Note also that bumper covers have never been SMC. They are urethane. SMC is hard and inflexible.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not easily repairable if repairable. I have cracks along the bottom inside corner where it can't be seen unless one is down on the knees to see. I don't want to replace the entire rear bumper piece just because this area can't be repaired! I'll just live with it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the information you are looking for (with probably more detail than you ever imagined)
You must be registered for see images attach

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He was asking specifically about a 2008. Note also that bumper covers have never been SMC. They are urethane. SMC is hard and inflexible.

I believe you're right about the bumper covers, but I couldn't find them mentioned in the shop manual.

SMC mirrors and rear tailight panel? He did ask for material changes and all 4 gens.

Ted

OP
OP
S

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8_ASP... Thank you and everyone else. Very informative.

It should be interesting what happens with the production of these parts as there is quite a range in materials used. Very curious if Chrysler/Dodge/Mopar currently make all these or if another company or companies make them for Chrysler and what the future holds.

Parts availability could have a big impact on resale values. Lets hope they take care of us whatever ends up happening.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's lots of aftermarket body parts of various qualities. Many of our sponsors sell body panels.

Ted

OP
OP
S

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's lots of aftermarket body parts of various qualities. Many of our sponsors sell body panels.

Ted

Are you saying that we have sponsors that make and sell new OEM spec body panels? Do they actually make the panels or are they resellers of factory parts?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'd havbe to ask for specifics from specific distributors, but I believe that most sell autoform, etc. Ask Jonb ...

Ted

V

Venomiss

Here's a partial list of sponsors for you to look through.

Viper Club of America

Why not post your question direct to the GrailKeeper? He may have some ideas for you.;)

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the information you are looking for (with probably more detail than you ever imagined)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is this picture accurate for the coupes? The side sills show to be aluminum, but they sure feel like they are made of the same materials as the 1/4 panels and fenders. I'm having my side sills fixed, and can't believe (as well as the bodyshop) that they are aluminum.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Malu, the side sills are definitely aluminum. The quarter panels are rrim composite. Going to be working on one of my quarters this week and trying to find a composite adhesive.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that we have sponsors that make and sell new OEM spec body panels? Do they actually make the panels or are they resellers of factory parts?
If you want body panels, call JonB... partsrack.com
He has a lot of panels in stock, at better than dealer prices.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malu, the side sills are definitely aluminum. The quarter panels are rrim composite. Going to be working on one of my quarters this week and trying to find a composite adhesive.

Weird, the area where the "Viper SRT-10" emblem on the side sills flexes a lot like plastic, more than aluminum. Learn something new everyday.

BTW, I've been following your build, I can't wait to see how it turns out :2tu: We will need more pictures though ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....I did a search and didn't find anything. Dumb question but what type of material are the 08 body panels made of (doors, hood, hatch, coupe roof, etc.) and is this material stronger than standard metal panels? How crack resistant is it? Is the same material used in all 4 Viper generations or have there been changes in materials....

There is a GREAT $15 book on the development of VGX-SRT10 that splains all of this, in great detail........was avail thru VCA GOODS. It was paid-in-full by 7 full-page ads in the book. Sold Out now, mut maybe around///

RIM as cited on all outer panels except;
SMC for deck / hood / trunk
Alum for sills.

And if you NEED panels, NEW, UNPAINTED, PartsRack has SRT10 panels at 50% off MSRP, or even LESS if you buy 2 or more panels. Dodge dealers buy panels from us BELOW CHRYSLER DEALER COST

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can paintless dent removal be used on the RIM?

Are you referring to the suction cup dent puller? Viper doesn't dent. "Dent resisitant panels".

It does crack, bust and holes can be puched in it.

The side sill are aluminium and maybe you could try there, but aluminium isn't as flexible as steel so probably won't fix easy.

Ted

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they are dent resistant panels, but the front fender of my 08 has a "dent". I don't know if it was a manufacturing defect, but I don't know that I can take it to the dealer and have them warranty it.