Viper GTS everyday driver?

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:The title desription says it all........
Cali-car-guy here, wondering if I can comfortably drive a viper GTS everyday??I want this to be my only car, as I live in SoCal and have no kids. I am almost to the finish line with my purchase of one so I just have a couple of lingering questions. Please help the newbie:dunno: also if I want to install a short throw
in the GTS is it a quick job or should I tell my boss that Im playing with my car instead of coming in to work?:rolaugh:
thanks again everybody.
JLew

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it depends on where you drive. In stop and go traffic down here in Austin, I'd hate life if my car was my daily. Rain is no fun and is downright dangerous if you have slicks on your car. Plus, depending on how particular you are about it, you may not want to park it everywhere. I'll gladly leave my truck in a crowded parking lot while I get groceries, or at the mall while I see a movie. The Viper? Not a chance.

The short throw can be done from the top or the bottom, and you don't have to completely drop the tranny to do it. I think there is an illustrated guide on SVSs site. If you're handy I'd say budget and hour or two, but realize it could take longer. If it's your daily and you tell your boss you'll be in at 12, then you better be damn sure it's done because that's your only mode of transportation.

Welcome (almost!) to the madness! What are you buying?

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:drive:The title desription says it all........
Cali-car-guy here, wondering if I can comfortably drive a viper GTS everyday??I want this to be my only car, as I live in SoCal and have no kids. I am almost to the finish line with my purchase of one so I just have a couple of lingering questions. Please help the newbie:dunno: also if I want to install a short throw
in the GTS is it a quick job or should I tell my boss that Im playing with my car instead of coming in to work?:rolaugh:
thanks again everybody.
JLew

Welcome! I am on my second Viper and used to daily drive both of them. The main issue that stops me from daily driving my current Viper is it snows here in Bend. That I will tell you that you DO NOT WANT TO DO. :)

When I was living in the Bay Area, my RT was a daily driver. Only had one car at the time so I had no choice. I was also 24, renting and loving every minute. 10 years later, I have a house, a wife and 3 cars. Still want to drive the Viper everyday!

Just make sure you join the VCA once you got the car. You will be able to get to the installation guides if you are a member as well. :2tu:

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also on my second RT/10 and they both have been daily drivers, too. :drive: I still have other vehicles "just in case", but I have rarely needed to use them. My only complaint is that it does get very hot in the cab during the summer even with the air on full blast. It doesn't snow here, so that isn't a problem, and I have never had any problems driving in the rain (of course I am VERY careful in the rain).

I personally can't think of a better way to enjoy your new GTS than for it to be a DD. :headbang:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper GTS everyday driver?

Driving my Viper everyday would lose some of the excitement I feel whenever I do drive it and that's a feeling I never want to go away. Plus, mine never, ever gets driven in the rain and it does rain here.

Also, there's no way I would have a Viper as my only car since the trunk is too small to carry my bike to various rides. And there's the snow factor in January, although that might not be as much of a problem in southern CA.

As they say, YMMV.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You live in Southern California?

ABSOLUTELY a daily driver! You are a single guy with a Viper, that's what guys should do:)

Put a good tire on your Viper that does well in dry and in rain (PS2 would be perfect), make sure you have good insurance and have fun.....maybe spend $3K on a '******' for the very few days you don't want to park the Viper where you are going:) or just ride with someone else haha.

I was stationed in SD probably 4-5 x's while in the Navy, and I have never lived in more perfect weather.....:) Now I know why real estate is so expensive there, and why I should have bought a house!

....BTW...will you cruise down to the harbor and have a greek salad for me and watch the carriers come in to port?

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving mine nearly every day. :) Lately I have backed off. I work in an industrial setting which tends to be dusty as heck.

One day and the car needs washed + the miles add up quick & with unemployment topping 13% and probably going to top 15% additionally, everyone at work concerned about attrition......

As long as I get to the Autocross or the track on the weekend I am fine till about Thursday :drive:

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you could definitely drive a GTS or an SRT10 daily, no problem. I would suggest you get a more subtle color, however, like black or silver without racing stripes. Might cut down on the attention a bit, especially from police radar guns on the 101!! Enjoy!!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Leslie...a Viper DD for a single guy in SoCal? That just sounds too sweet to be true! I'm already jealous of you :) I think I'd still have some backup just incase for some reason you didn't want to take the Viper on a particular trip. Besides that, I say go for it!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how I have 95,000 miles on mine.

A chunk of the shifter work is removing interior panels. You can remove them one day before, install the shifter next day, then replace the panels on day three to minimize the time needed in one day.

If you can't get the old one out from above on day two, then you don't have it out and aren't far from making it driveable either. Then day 2B could be lowering the transmission.

My recollection is that reaching some of the four bolts holding it on is the difficult part. Small hands or drilling a hole through the tunnel roof to pass a socket and extension will help.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pros: You live in SO CAL. Cons: Excitement would wear off a little. Where do you put all the groceries or the tv you pick up etc.? Door dings and worse, vandals or theft.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Continuing on the backup car that many have mentioned... If and when your Viper needs servicing, or maybe I should just say when because it will, how equipped will you be to find a shop that can work on it one, and two, to get your DD back to you quickly?

So yes, +1 if you chose to DD your Gen 2 Viper, have an alternate car available.

OP
OP
C

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jasontiff- Im looking for a GTS preferably 98-01 (01 would be perfect)

cornfish- "Oh the joys of young single life" Id better get all my cool car purchases out of the way while my girlfriend is still in the nice faze. After marriage that'll change:)

red98RT10- I've got a honda prelude for my door ding magnet so I already have my bases covered for the grocery store trips that and my lady goes to the grocery store for me most of the time anyway.

Leslie- You'd better beleive I will:)

NI-KA- Thats a good point about the dust I live right across the street from the ocean/beach and there is always sand on my street and my friggin car. WEll thats what God made car covers for:)

treed- Why did you have to make such a good point like that? :( I was thinking red with white stripes too. Maybe I should rethink that idea:)

Tom, F&L GoR- Awesome thanks!!

Chuck 98 RT/10- Chuck everyone knows that Vettes are for clowns who think that they are in the same league of performance as "The Great Snake". Most of the ones "putt putt'n" around town are automatics anyway. Driving a Vette is like driving your car with your mom and grandma nagging at you from the backseat with all those electronic stability controls and what not:) "Gimme my V-10, and lets do some real drivin!!!!" :)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Leslie...a Viper DD for a single guy in SoCal? That just sounds too sweet to be true! I'm already jealous of you :) I think I'd still have some backup just incase for some reason you didn't want to take the Viper on a particular trip. Besides that, I say go for it!

Viper DD = DD's of perhaps another kind. Go for it!

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine daily for 2 years and put about 18K miles on it. I have to admit it was fun. Driving the Viper never gets old, but sometimes the attention does since the Viper makes you an instant celebrity and it's hard to just drive around and enjoy when others are revving their engines, yelling out of their windows at you and weaving in and out of traffic trying to get a better look at the car.

I also found that driving the car daily put limits on where I could go. Like others have said, driving to the grocery store, mall, Walgreens, Best Buy, etc. became a chore because I had to always choose a location with the best parking rather than the one closest to me. When dining out, instead of parking where I wanted to eat, I'd eat wherever I could comfortably park.

And forget about going to pick up a large pizza in it. The box won't fit.

The other problem is keeping the car clean. It may not be an issue in Southern California, but it rains here in Florida every day during the summer, so daily driving usually meant daily washing.

I purchased a 2nd car about 6 months ago and it's great just pulling into any parking spot in the lot and I don't mind if it gets a little dirty.

Now, I just drive the Viper for fun and on weekends.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just copied a response I did a while ago. Here you go:

I purchased my car with the intention with driving it everyday but after a while it looses that specialness that you bought the car for. I would suggest that if you are looking to get this car as an everyday driver that you thoroughly evaluate the situation questioning your weather (rain), where it is going to be driven, etc. Believe me, you do not want to take this car to a mall, supermarket, or any other place with lots of people. I have been there and it is not a good feeling.

As for cost effectiveness. You must way in the fact that this car can be pricey to drive.

Oil changes are about $100 every 3,000 miles if done at the dealer. Yourself it can cost around $50-$75.

You also have to weigh in tires. Although the rears have come down a bit to around $200 each on eBay the fronts are still $300+ each. They must be changed (assuming you drive normally) around every 15K miles. This is assuming you are not doing burnouts everyday or every month.

Gas is a big one. This is not a practical car with gas. With 12 in the city (which you are lucky if you get) and 20 on the highway it is a guzzler. If you drive on the highway to work everyday it would not be that bad; unless it is stop and go the whole way.

Traffic! This car stinks in traffic. You will hate it if you get stuck in 2 or more hours of traffic. That clutch starts to really challenge your leg and there is no foot rest/dead pedal.

Parking. You must choose where you want to park wisely and then when you park you will always think is the car OK. I bought mine thinking this is just a car and I will drive it and park it carefully; but will take it everywhere. After a few months I realized it just was not the best idea. People get jealous sometimes and mess with the car, a door could be swung into your car, you begin to feel it is an exotic and should be taken car of as on, etc.

I am not trying to make your mind up for you but I just want to give you some information that I think is helpful. When I wanted to buy my car I came to this forum and the people here helped me a lot. I am just trying to return the favor. Hope this helps. Now I have not outlined everything but this is what just came to mind.

Overall this car is great for a daily driver in terms of cost and fun appeal but it can attract lots of attention and also be a handful to drive especially in the rain with the huge tires. If you are up for the task, you could have a lot of fun with the car. Good luck with your decision!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4", 245#, and even with my seat lowered, my GTS is only tolerable for short trips. I wouldnt use it for a daily driver at all. Thats what "other" cars are for!

OP
OP
C

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thanks that was pretty insightful. I am attempting to cross all my T's and Dot the I's. I really want to get the car but I wont if its going to be a nightmare to have it with worrying about other people messing with it. That's kind of crazy. I wonder if people do the same thing to the Ferrrari and Lambo Guys. We all know that people dont mess with Vettes. anyone can own one of those. they arent special:)
Ha ha
JLew

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thanks that was pretty insightful. I am attempting to cross all my T's and Dot the I's. I really want to get the car but I wont if its going to be a nightmare to have it with worrying about other people messing with it. That's kind of crazy. I wonder if people do the same thing to the Ferrrari and Lambo Guys. We all know that people dont mess with Vettes. anyone can own one of those. they arent special:)
Ha ha
JLew

Like I stated above, that was one of the worst problems. Always worring what people would do to it. Other than that, the other things were tolerable.

OP
OP
C

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I should be ok in refernce to height and weight.
Im 5'8 and I weigh 135.
Jlew

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jlew,

Not sure where you live in So Cal as it's a huge area. I'm in OC.

A group of us will be going to Super Car Sunday this coming Sunday in the Valley. Check our local web site for more info: . : : SoCal Viper : : .

Also, I have a 2001 GTS ACR listed in the classifieds (here) and in Auto Trader. Car has many desirable mods and is very fast.

Dan

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could drive mine every day, but I think I enjoy the car more by taking out for fun purposes only. I used to drive it daily, and never had problems with anything (including dings in the paint - if anything, people were really careful around the car).

The idea of a short shifter on a GTS is a 'maybe' in my book. The tranny isn't silky smooth, and requires a lot of effort, so it's not the best for a short shifter in my opinion. The stock shift knob has to go, though. It is so tall and the shift travel is so long that it makes you feel like you're shifting a VW bus. I put an early MGW shift knob on, and it lowered the top of the shifter by a couple of inches. That effectively decreased the travel of the shifter (where your hand sits) and makes it feel like a short shifter was installed. In other words, it has almost the same effect as a short shifter without the need to tear anything apart. If you combine a "short shift knob" with a short shift kit, I'm not sure the effect would be good on this particular car. I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experiences.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my Subaru STi as my daily driver. It has been dinged to hell. Makes me weep. No marks on my Viper (yet). If you can accept the dings, just make sure your battery is current (so to speak) and you will have a great ride.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32