Viper GTS VS Porsche 911 GT-3

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look like a stretched out Volkswagon. To each his own. I guess thats why they make different flavors.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have said hello at MSR; I was in one of the Spec Miatas fooling around (Blue/White #79). Very impressive car, that GT3 and when he gets it broken in and sticky tires, it will go quite nicely. At MSR, I suspect the GT3 will hand a stock Viper its behind, but then again you are talking several years newer technology and $99K. I think the SRT would easily run with the GT3 and likely better it.

One day I must have a Porsche!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT3 is a great track car, but it is no Viper.

The Porsche club over here is very strong with a close community. They even have their own racing classes. They are a great bunch.

I've always liked Porsche - but it's the Viper I'm looking forward to having in my garage. The only Porsche I'd consider buying would be the AWD Turbo with enhancements - but for that money I can have a twin turbo Viper plus an investment apartment - so I guess the Porsche misses out.

The Viper is different - to me it has character and is more like a good woman - the more time you spend with them the better they get :)

Every drive in a Viper is an event!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, there are a lot cheaper ways to get faster lap times. I go for the whole experience, myself.

Of course, if choice of interiors is your thing, then Porsche is the way to go.

Docta, you want fast lap times... get a Comp Coupe :laugh: . You should have witnessed the beating Joe B. gave to PMUM (okay, so he was in the Spec Renault), Hayashi and Dearing :)

Interior??? what do you need that for? ;)

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have said hello at MSR; I was in one of the Spec Miatas fooling around (Blue/White #79). Very impressive car, that GT3 and when he gets it broken in and sticky tires, it will go quite nicely. At MSR, I suspect the GT3 will hand a stock Viper its behind, but then again you are talking several years newer technology and $99K. I think the SRT would easily run with the GT3 and likely better it.

One day I must have a Porsche!

Heya!

There were two spec Miatas givin' him heck that day...a red one and I'm guessing yours. I didn't happen to see a blue+white one but it was probably you (Friday the 8th?)

I was the slow poke in the M Coupe running my drivers eval...

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious so when I see one I can tell, how do you tell the difference from a GT-3 and an Boxster from the front?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gt3 will take out a stock 996TT on the track with ease.

That is really impressive, I had no idea a gt3 is that capable of a car. What makes it so much faster? It has very low torque, and is not excesivly light. What kind of rubber does it come with factory? Not sport cups is it?

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gt3 will take out a stock 996TT on the track with ease.

That is really impressive, I had no idea a gt3 is that capable of a car. What makes it so much faster? It has very low torque, and is not excesivly light. What kind of rubber does it come with factory? Not sport cups is it?
Suspension system and powerband. Porsche did an excellent job. It may have low torque compared to a Viper, but it's spread out through the whole rpm range, you'd be suprised at just how hard it'll pull from down low and especially up high. And Doug GTS is right, when I went for a ride in the new GT3 it felt almost as quick as my friends ACR Viper, awsome considering it doesn't have the brute force the Viper does. And the way the car can carve through a corner is amazing, it just grips and grips some more.

Numbers don't lie, and one person at the strip here ran a 12.2 (only ran one time) in the 1/4, thats basically right where a large part of Vipers trap at looking at sigs on this site. Either way, it definitley wasn't designed for the 1/4 just as the Viper wasn't, but still very impressive with what it could do. One of the magazines clocked 12.3 in the new GT3.

As for tires, the new GT3 runs Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's if I'm not mistaken, and apparently the new Chrysler Crossfire runs these also :p

Enough can't be said for the sound of the GT3, it has probably the sweetest engine and exhaust sound. Take that Ferrari lol.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a new Porsche GT-2 and I have to agree the porsche is just awesome and I can tell you around here the gawk factor is every bit as strong as my viper was. Last weekend I took it to the track and the car was strong, on the stock tires with only 700 miles the car went 11.52 at 123 as a best pass and 11.77 at 122 as a worst. The temp was about 96 degrees and I had never driven a porsche at the track before. Even though the car is not really set up to drag race it puts up good numbers because it makes the big power, and when the air gets cool I imagine it will pick up some mph and et.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it has probably the sweetest engine and exhaust sound.

If so, it's the first time a Porsche ever sounded sweet. I always thought they sounded like they looked - a Volkswagon. Of course, the perform much better. :)

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, you can never argue with VCA opinions or so it appears. Congrats on the new purchase. I wish I had the garage space. :)

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How could 380HP car be faster than 460HP car?

easy, go to any track & you will see it every day. look at the speed vision cup, factory gt3 cup cars with 400 hp spanking the big bore cars?? Look what they do against the Comp Coupes. If you want a straight fight, the comp coupe should be up against the GT3R! Brakes, traction, drivability, handling, its like a good stereo system, you need them all not just one. The twin Turbo is a 4wd Luxury GT car. It is set up for all sorts of drivers from experts to my mother. The GT2 & Gt3 are another story. The GT3 is a race tuned car that is basicly a carrera cup car with emmisions & saftey equip. It is not for the novice. The porsche factory press releases show the gt3 as fast as the TT.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look at the speed vision cup, factory gt3 cup cars with 400 hp spanking the big bore cars?? Look what they do against the Comp Coupes.

Wait a minute. Weren’t the CCs required to run smaller front tires in that series because they were kicking *** so badly?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the 380HP Porsche is faster that TT 115K than what is the point of selling it? Everybody should buy GT3 and forget TT.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, you can never argue with VCA opinions or so it appears. Congrats on the new purchase. I wish I had the garage space. :)

Jon, you need you get yourself a pair of car stackers for your garage, then you're set :) I'm actually looking at doing that myself as I have 4 cars, 1 truck and a motorcycle, plus I currently partk the jet ski in the garage and am getting a 2nd one, so way out of room.

MC

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the 380HP Porsche is faster that TT 115K than what is the point of selling it? Everybody should buy GT3 and forget TT.

The 381HP GT3 weighs a whopping 440lbs less than the 415HP 911TT, which is why it can keep up with it's big brother despite AWD and more torque.

But as it has been mentioned, many people who can afford these cars are not actually looking for just a racecar, and they want a car that has strong power at low revs, and is easy to drive fast.

And the 911TT meets those goals very well.

-Dean.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
911TT = incredible street car/GT.
GT3 = incredible track car with a license plate.

Different cars for different tasks El.

Chuck - I'm not too keen on the Porsche soundtrack myself either but I actually heard this GT3 at the track and perked up before I even saw it...it was a screaching but deep banshee wail and it was GOOD. Really good. Maybe someone can post some vids of one at speed.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nex, I'm going to Sebring on Sept 13 with SAFE Motorsports. There are usually a few Porsches there. Although I can't tell the difference from one to another I'll try to be more observant and maybe I'll hear the new sweet sound. :)

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds fun Chuck - do you ever take video of your runs?

Would love to see some sometime!

I'll be honest - if someone had an uncorked 911TT on the track that day alongside the GT3 I'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference myself but the GT3 certainly did sound as if it wasn't running through a normal exhaust setup.

Just make sure to keep those buggers behind ya. ;)

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just 4 the record gawk factor changes depending on where u live. 4 instance nobody gives a crap about a porsche here in arizona. they will gawk over a vette b4 they drool over a porsche. but if u live in california than the porsche will get u more chix than the vette will. but no matter where u live the viper will always turn heads. truly the viper is the best of both worlds.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nex, there's a GT3 stripped, caged, factory built race car that whoops my *** every time. I don't even bother to try.

I recnetly purchased a remote lens that I'll be positioning around the car for some interesting shots. I'll put something together at the end of the year and post it.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to the vids Chuck!

You might get a kick out of some of these vids - this is a friend of mine who lives in Portland purely to track at PIR (actually quit his job and moved to Portland to live next to PIR - a man after my own heart and my personal hero these days :) ).

Major track rat. Matter of fact, that's his day job these days. Besides designing and building cars...

He tracks a few cool cars and bikes - a Westfield Megabusa (super7 replica), a Lotus Elise, an M Coupe, etc. A few Ducs.

Some good vids that you might get a kick out of watching. I'm supposed to take the '69 up there to PIR here in the next 2 months for her shakedown run - hopefully I'll get that on tape.

Elise @ PIR getting twitchy

Elise @ Thunderhill

Westie @ PIR turning 1:29 (CARTs do :59 ~1:00)

Here's his site - lots of good stuff there. Great guy.

dp's - track rat extraordinaire

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddy - good point on the locale.

That does certainly make a huge difference. I'm sure driving around Hollywood/Beverly Hills in anything is pretty uneventful for example.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a new Porsche GT-2 and I have to agree the porsche is just awesome and I can tell you around here the gawk factor is every bit as strong as my viper was. Last weekend I took it to the track and the car was strong, on the stock tires with only 700 miles the car went 11.52 at 123 as a best pass and 11.77 at 122 as a worst. The temp was about 96 degrees and I had never driven a porsche at the track before. Even though the car is not really set up to drag race it puts up good numbers because it makes the big power, and when the air gets cool I imagine it will pick up some mph and et.

Ah yes - but will the GT2 beat a twin turbo Viper? :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great vids Nex. Looks like that Elise took some getting used to. Understandable since it's so dang light.

I gotta not watch these racing vids. Now I can't get to sleep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960