Viper has Build Quality of a Kit Car..But Still Fun

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm still a new owner of a new 01 GTS but in Florida...Florida where's it's really hot and Oh did I mention humid.. my AC works great. No rattles yet...my windshield stay put and I recently drove it through Tropical storm Hanna to a storage area away from my water front place for safety...no leaks....and as a born & raised New Yorker (Go Giants) I'm here to tell you it never rains like that in NY.

So maybe it's just that my Snake is new but maybe it's just yours. Hope you work out your problems.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it's the other cars you mentioned, Porsche and BMW that are laughable. Porsche has had the same ugly design for 30+ years and the only way you'll ever get it close to the Viper performance is if you spend $200K for one.

BMW? Do German car companies have the same old ladies designing their cars? BOREING. Do all BMWs come with a baby seat? The only thing they produce that has any style is the Z8 and don't plan on seeing too many of them around. Hell even the Z8 is too little too late.

Corvette is more of a threat than any comparatively priced German car.

Thank you DC for the ballsiest car ever built.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a black 911 turbo with really cool black wheels that a fellow viper owner was selling not too long ago. That would have been perfect for you.

Riddle me this, batman: What is the most laughable thing in this picture?

00004090.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Makara on 10-13-2002 at 12:00 PM</font>

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. It sure ain't the cars, is it? And I'm willing to bet that pretty boy doesn't own any of those cars either (unless Daddy put one is his name, that is). Daddy should be a poster boy for how not to raise a child.

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going down tommorrow to put a down a deposit on a Ferrari Enzo, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Jeeves, where's my Brandy....Jeeves, we'll be late for our 3:00 tee off at the country club if you don't hurry up and get my Brandy. And while we're gone, wash the Rolls would you please.

LPE 383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In that picture, it comes down to the rice mobiles or the **** daddy wanna be in em.

Also the build quality (paint jobs) on these vipers, could be a bit better for the money....and I ain't whining! just stating a fact.

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread just summed up exactly why I'm buying a Viper.

The viper is the "unpretentious exotic". Anyone who would complain about it in the way the previous post did doesnt 'get it'. Right? Its a Motorcycle with four wheels and Dodge should be forever thanked for making it.

I've had a couple BMW M cars and they're great fun to drive but they were always in the shop. I also had a Porsche 928 that lived in the shop. I had planned on buying a Ferrari 348 Spider after saving for another year but then in July I drove a Viper and it instantly changed my mind about the ferrari ( also reading the Ferrari boards and almost vomiting at the pretentiousness in them didnt help matters) and I realized I could have a Viper THIS YEAR.

Anyway.. dont mean to rant... After watching this forum for three months I find 90% of the people here very down to earth and exactly the kind of people I would hang out with. I cant say that for the Ferrari guys.

Thanks again for keeping it real.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought the wrong car, you are an obvious Porsche guy, but it's real interesting that you're complaining about quality on the rt10, while you're forced to drive it because that stellar rice rally car and that fine german engineered autobahnburning estoril blue hanger queen are both occupying service bays as you write! Seriously, I just sold an M5, put 2 years and 20,000 miles on it, where shall I start...clutch, differential, vanos, rubber door molding... 2 year score 1 BMW 10 problems, 2 Dodges 0. You can fix the leaks in the RT10, ask for help, you might also want to try for some help on the other Viper site, viperclub dot com, there are a couple guys there who can set you straight. but why didn't you buY a GTS? And if you wanna see FLEX, ride in an M3 convertible...I was on the list for a year took it around the block...No thank you..I'll take an SRT in black instead.

This post is dedicated to the fond memory of those who cannot be here and could have done this sooooo much better than I! I had to use facts and experience....the dearly departed could have done it on hyperbole alone. But as you all can see I have sent this poor lost soul in search of them!

S

SUN RA KAT

My Viper (GTS, BTW) has a build quality that is outstanding and much, much better than what I was expecting. There's nothing about it to suggest a kit car.

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
There was a black 911 turbo with really cool black wheels that a fellow viper owner was selling not too long ago. That would have been perfect for you.

00004090.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just now noticed something about this picture. Isn't that Jeeves standing in the overhang between the house and the garage? Probably about to roll up his sleeves and wash the Bentley.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexRedSnake:
but honestly after a Rainy 3 days in New York and I get in the car and water is pouring in from the roof, and water is pouring in at my feet, its LAUGHABLE how poor some of the aspects of this car are. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny but I've been caught out in much of the same torrential
storms...and I was dry and cool!??? No water ANYWHERE even when I was forced to drive through a 1/4 mile of the Major Deegan Expressway which was 6" deep with water. If the tidal pool weren't bad enough, my 5 mph was ticking off every surrounding trucker who was passing me with designs to spray me into the adjacent Harlem River! Astonishingly, not one drop inside the car!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I especially find it funny how much the car rattles (almost like its playing music)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a few rattles (likely due to this lovely city and it's lovelier roads)...but less than my 4 year old Mercedes...and it's hard to even notice them over the summer wind and the winter engine noise/exhaust.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>and also how the entire windshield shifts when you pull up driveways at an angle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? - Must be the starch in your bowling shirt
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Heat too is amusing on those hot summer days, the car is essentially undriveable<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but that's a completely ludicrous statement! You did turn on the A/C...right?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>and the climate control system laughable as well, but it does bake me and give me a nice tan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See above.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Overall the Viper is a fun, exotic looking car<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's where your post should begin and end.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I was forced to since my other cars are in the shop or on order.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny how the undrivable one was the only one NOT in the shop.
laugh.gif

PS- This is the wrong forum to whine and not expect a harsh rebuke.
smile.gif

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like my beautiful wife always says in a situation like this........MONEY doesn't mean you have an OUNCE of CLASS!!!!

Quite OBVIOUS here, to say the least...stop crying and sell that Viper to someone who would REALLY appreciate it.

Drive your POS ricers, with your liquor bottle and don't post garbage talk here about America's #1 Muscle Car.

Dave.......2002 FINAL EDITION GTS #338
supergrin.gif

2BADD-4U

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="14"><FONT COLOR="blue">YO! MTV RAPS!</FONT c></FONT s>
<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="blue">Hair Club For Men should give you your money back...</FONT c></FONT s>

00004090.jpg

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:

00004090.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew I'd seen that face before, That's Laura Davies from the LPGA tour!! I heard she was into nice cars.
puke.gif

Or perhaps (s)he just finished washing those cars for the dude in the breezeway, and was compensated with a 1.5 liter bottle of Thunderbird. He's ready for the weekend now!! His buddy is the one who shot the pic, waiting for him behind the camera and next to the '78 Chebby Vega, lowered with the moonie rims!
laugh.gif

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2BADD 4U:
Like my beautiful wife always says in a situation like this........MONEY doesn't mean you have an OUNCE of CLASS!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Even truer is: Mommy and Daddy's money doesn't buy an ounce of class

AlexRedSnake, have you ever managed to post and not make a fool of yourself?

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex,

You really should take your car to the dealership. It should NOT run at 225 even if you are running the A/C. As you can tell I live in FL and have never seen 225 on the temp gage.

Now as far as the Viper compared to a BMW let me remind you of what YOU said about BMW&gt;

Using good materials doesnt = good build quality and sound engineering. The new M3 is a piece of JUNK! The Z06 and Viper are FAR superior in terms of giving the owners what the expect when owning them.

On a side Note I would just like to say after 0wning 10 BMWs in the last 10 years that BMW is now JUNK! The tranny in the M3 and M5 is Garbage, the Cars are both way to heavy, unreliable and over-rated. I have owned all of them and can say through experience that BMW engineering is not focussed anymore on creating awesome drivers cars, they are more concerned with soccer moms being able to parallel park than an enthusiast gaining steering wheel feel. The Steering in both the M3 and M5 is way to over-assisted and numb.

Pay close attention to what you said here:

The fact is BMW people who knock the Z06 and Viper have never been in one!

Such REAL cars make them insecure about spending all the money for a little badge and no substance. I know I used to be one I used to think my Z3 was cool until my brother smoked me in a s2000. My father has also joined in on the new acceptance of American muscle. After driving my Viper and Z06 he just placed an order for the new Ford GT40 (hoping it comes out).

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex you must stop. Don't you know the viper is the greatest car ever built? There is no car that can rival it's build quality and reliability. You should feel privileged that dodge allowed you to buy such a priceless gem. shame on you - I'm embarrassed to call you my friend. You should apologize to the viper nation and beg their forgiveness. I just hope they don't revoke your VCA membership - that's priceless too.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, you took the words right out of my mouth. How many lives are so shallow and insecure that they can't be honest with themselves when their precious Viper is giving them a problem?

I am a celebrity in my neighborhood, at the gym, and just about everywhere I stop with my car...BUT...if there is a problem, there is a problem. Guys, please, take a dose of the humble medicine. I don't car how much you can fix yourself, I don't care how much you are able to pay to have someone fix your car, and I don't care how often you can pay one of your piss-on employees to run your back and forth to Dodge while you drive your other car. If there is a problem, then there is a problem. You did not buy the car with the sticker listing Leaks, rattles, and yellowing sills as an option.

Alex did not make a fool of himself. As a matter of fact, if his Dad paid for the cars or not, who cares, that's his family's business. And you know....God bless him that he can have what he has...life is to short. At least he can still objectively recognize that there is a problem when he sees it, and he's not so brainwashed by the cool cars in his driveway to miss the fact that one of them has a problem.

Give it up Alex. Objectivity and logic does not exist on this board when talking about a problem with your car, only when talking about which mod will knock a half second off the 1/4 mile.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex, you really pissed them off now... You should know the Viper can do no wrong. Threads like this really give me second thoughts. This is the second thread that I had to reply to like this in the past week. I am still not convinced that I don't want one but will definetly check out the car real well before taking delivery. I will say Alex has valid gripes. For 70 or 80g you don't expect a leaky car or one to hot to drive or the windshield to shake. Maybe a RT/10 but not a GTS. Is this leak thing unique to the RT's? I would think/hope so and that is acceptable to me since the freakin car doesn't really have a roof. The heat issues sound like they are on both cars and are not acceptable in my mind. Now I am sure some of you are going to chime in - You drive a Z06 yada yada, common mobile etc etc but I can say, It doesn't leak, rattle or bake you. A couple tenths in the 1/4 is an acceptable comprimise for dry feet and cool air etc. I could probably deal with these issues occasionally on weekends so I guess I will have to keep the Z and get the GTS for weekend blast on cool dry fall days.
wink.gif
Now that just leaves me about 40g short but I am sure I will work that out.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
It doesn't leak, rattle or bake you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It also doesn't beat me, and it's more than "a couple tenths." It's more like a half second - which is a total a$$ whoopin'. Put the mags away and bring on some real world testing to find out for yourself.

Vipers get hot.
RT/10s leak lots with the soft top in a hard rain.
RT/10s leak a little with the hard top.
Some GTSs may leak, mine doesn't.

If you have ANY reservations then DON'T buy a Viper, the Viper is not for you.

If anybody wants to complain about Vipers, choose your words carefully or receive a thrashing. I belong to other boards and the passion, responses and attitudes towards criticisms about their cars are no different than here.

Vipers were built for one purpose - to whoop everybody's a$$, not to powder it. Mission accomplished.

Admittedly I am a Viper extremist - totally irrational and unforgiving - just like the car.

c2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alex, when I first read your post I had a feeling you were setting yourself up for a major ball busting and the forum members did not let me down.

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agent you kill me, you have reservations about buying a viper because of some stories you've heard? PLEASE DON'T BUY ONE! I'm sure your 76 vette can provide you with all the blistering performance you may need. What did it make? 150 GROSS horses? Please corrrect me if I'm wrong, I need to know next time I come up to one at a stoplight in my minivan, you know having been forced to drive the it due to all it's mechanical problems the Viper is plagued with.

Alex, you're just a priss, go put your dress on and drive the m3.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:

Admittedly I am a Viper extremist - totally irrational and unforgiving - just like the car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA HA HA But Chuck this is why we love you.
supergrin.gif
smile.gif
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew2KRT10:
Give it up Alex. Objectivity and logic does not exist on this board when talking about a problem with your car, only when talking about which mod will knock a half second off the 1/4 mile.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I consider myself a poser and even so- a few tenths in the 1/4 mile means the World to me. I'd give my left ... for another tenth. Plus any little quirkyness with my Viper is soon forgotten when I mash the loud pedal. Yeah baby!!!!!