VIPER HORSEPOWER @ 450 FOR RT-10/GTS IS VERY LOW!

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CRAIG 201 MPH,

YOUR POST SAYS THAT YOU ARE AN AUTOMOTIVE MARKETING STUDENT..

I HAVE POSTED A RESPONCE TO YOUR AND OTHER POSTS REGARDING THE LIMITED PRODUCTION NUMBERS OF THE VIPERS AND ABOUT THE DESIGN TOOLING COSTS..

IF YOUR ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE PRODUCTION NUMBERS I POSTED FOR OTHER CARS MANUFACTUERED BOTH IN THE PAST AND CURRENTLY BY DC ARE FAR BELOW THAT OF THE VIPER HERE THEY ARE AGAIN..

I DISCUSSED THE PRODUCTION OF THE MERCEDES 6.9 MODEL BUILT FROM 1975-1980..

TOTAL PRODUCTION FOR 5 YEARS WAS AROUND 2,000+/- CARS FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD!!

2,000 CARS BUILT OVER 5 YEARS TOTALS APROX 500 CARS PER YEAR..

MERCEDES DESIGNED A SPECIAL 6.9 LITER ENGINE AND THEN HAD TO TOTALLY REENGINEER THE ENTIRE CAR FOR A TOTAL PRODUCTION OF ONLY 500 CARS PER YEAR.

DC CURRENTLY BUILDS THE 6.0 LITER V-12 600 SERIES S600, SL600.

THE TOTAL PRODUCTION FOR THE YEARS 2001 AND 2002 FOR THE V-12 600 SERIES CAR WAS AROUND 1,750+/- CARS FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD.

THIS EQUATES TO ONLY 875+/- V-12 600s FOR ENTIRE CARS BUILT PER YEAR..

LETS SEE IF AS A STUDENT YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHICH COSTS MORE?

1. THE COST TO DESIGN AND ENGINEER A TOTALLY NEW V-12 ENGINE AND THEN TO REENGINEER THE ENTIRE DRIVLINE SPECIFICLY FOR THAT V-12. PLUS THE COMPLETE REDESIGN OF THE CHASSIS TO HANDLE THE ADDITIONAL POWER AND WEIGHT OF THE V-12..PLUS THE EPA CERTIFICATION OF THE NEW V-12 ENGINE..

2.THE COST TO REENGINEER ONLY THE TOP END OR INDUCTION SYSTEM OF A CURRENT PRODUCTION V-10 ENGINE AND THE EPA CERTIFICATIONOF THAT ENGINE..

I FIGURE THAT THE NEW V-8 KOMPRESSOR ENGINES WILL BE SOLD IN AROUND THE SAME NUMBERS AS THE VIPERS BUT THEY DESIGNED AND CERTIFIED THESE AND ARE BUILDING THEM..

ALSO CAR COMPANIES HAVE HAD TO DESIGN ,BUILD AND CERTIFY CARS SOLELY FOR CALIF THAT HAVE SOLD IN FAR FEWER NUMBERS THAN THE VIPERS..

HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THE FACT THAT OTHER COMPANIES LIKE ASTON MARTIN,FERRARI,PORSCHE ECT. CAN DESIGN AND BUILD ENTIRE CARS THAT ARE SOLD IN FEWER NUMBERS THAN THE VIPER.. WHAT ABOUT THEIR COSTS??

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EXECMALIBU:

HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THE FACT THAT OTHER COMPANIES LIKE ASTON MARTIN,FERRARI,PORSCHE ECT. CAN DESIGN AND BUILD ENTIRE CARS THAT ARE SOLD IN FEWER NUMBERS THAN THE VIPER.. WHAT ABOUT THEIR COSTS??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about their MSRP's?

Go look up the word REALATIVE.

The Chrysler portion of DaimlerChrysler makes MINIVANS, TRUCKS and SEDANS, not state of the art luxo-sedans with 100K+ pricetags.

Here's another term for you to explore

TARGET MARKET

The Viper is aimed at people who want a raw car that they can play with, hence the simplicity of the engine. Once you start adding superchargers, and fancy elctronic gadgetry like a manumatic tranny you start increasing the costs of production and increasing the costs to your warranty department. What benz has a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty?

Before the Viper was introduced in 92, what car ANYWHERE stock from a factory made 400 + horses? A ferrari and a lambo, that's about it.

How willing would you be to open the hood of your SL600 and try to do some work on it yourself? Could you even? You probably need special tools just to remove the cutesy wutsey plastic coverings to make the engine bay look pretty.

TECHNICALLY Dodge does offer a more powerful Viper from the factory, the competition coupe. Sure it's not street legal but that's not it's purpose, same as with the S/C Cobra but lax licencing laws at the time allowed for them to be driven on teh streets because they had VIN's

If you want one so bad send in your application, I'm sure with all your racing experience you should have no problem getting your hands on one.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ExecMailbu,
I did re-think your position of this post and you have a valid point.

My re-reading of your somewhat abrasive postings led me to deduce the following question that I think you were trying to put across originally.

Why will DC not offer engine options for those of you that have the means to purchase them.

I have absolutely have no problem with that concept in fact I'm sure two super rich buyers would take them up on that program.

The only problem is that as Craig pointed out the cost incurred by DC to offer this would be outlandish as well as the emissions regulations.

I'd love to raise my Viper's hood and see a ********* and orange dual quad Hemi lurking about. Our Tuner community is there for a reason, to make you go as fast as you can afford, use them.

Cheers and go get a hug you'll feel better.
laugh.gif

BTW... Good post Craig.

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TIEPILOT,

DC ALREADY HAS THE TECHNOLOGY FOR THE SUPER-CHARGER.AND UPGRADING THE HEADS TO FLOW BETTER OR WITH MORE VALVES COULD PROBABLY BE MADE TO PASS EMMISSIONS EASILY.. .

HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT DC PROBABLY SPENT A FEW HUNDRED MILLION $$$ DEVELOPING THE V-12 600 SERIES THAT WILL SELL IN VERY VERY LIMITED NUMBERS..DC WILL LOOSE THIER *** ON THE V-12 CARS BUT THEY KNEW THIS GOING IN..IT IS ALL ABOUT IMAGE..

I WAS WATCHING A SHOW YESTERDAY ABOUT T-BIRDS AND THEY SHOWED THE 57 T-BIRD WITH A "FACTORY" PAXTON S/C..

DO YOU THINK THAT FORD EVER INTENDED OR EXPECTED TO SELL THESE IN QUANITY?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! BUT THET STILL BUILT THEM..AND THEY LOST MONEY ON EVERY ONE OF THEM!!

CHEVY OFFERED THE 1957 VETTE AND BELAIRE WITH THE OPTION OF "FACTORY" FUEL INJECTION ..

DO YOU THINK THAT THEY EVER EXPECTED TO RECOVER THEIR COSTS??
I DONT THINK SO...

CHEVY LOST BIG $$$ ON THE ZR-1 BUT THEY EXPECTED TO..

CAR COMPANIES OFFER IMAGE CARS CONSTANTLY WITH THE FULL KNOWLEDGE THAT THEY WILL NEVER EVEN GET CLOSE TO BRAKING EVEN..

I DISAGREE THAT DC COULD ONLY SELL 2 FACTORY HI-PO CARS.

IF DC OFFERED THE WORLDS FASTEST OR MOST POWERUL CAR WITH NEW VIPER S/C I THINK THAT THEY WOULD PROBABLY SELL 25-50 PER YEAR MAYBE MORE EVEN @ $150- 200K..

HOW MUCH DOES FORD PLAN TO GET FOR THE NEW GT-40? I BET FORD WILL OFFER A HI-PO MODEL EVENTUALLY...

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EXECMALIBU:
HOW MUCH DOES FORD PLAN TO GET FOR THE NEW GT-40? I BET FORD WILL OFFER A HI-PO MODEL EVENTUALLY...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to squint harder into that crytal ball. With 5.4 litres of displacement putting out 500 horses with the aid of a supercharger, how much higher do you think they can go while maintaining emissions and reliability?

It's funny how you dismiss the viper as an IMAGE car now with "only" 500 horses.

rolleyes.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Execmalibu,

I didn't read all the bickering (from BOTH sides) but I did read your response to me and I agree with you 100%. I think DC very well COULD add forced induction and meet emissions and give more power. They could reduce the warranty to 1/12k but I am not sure what the market is for that kind of car. I guess if they thought they could make money doing it, they would. I don't think they make much $$ on the Viper, and would make even less on such a "Viper SS"... and it might detract from the "regular" Viper. I don't know... personally I think DC *should* bump the power up on the Viper, but I guess they have their reasons.

95yellovett,

I know you want to think that the brand you own is faster than the Dodge, but it's not.. not your car, not a C5, not a brand new 2003 Z06. Why don't you show me some facts rather than spouting off? Show me a stock Z06 running 11.6's and show me a stock Z06 running 121mph. I think the fastest two guys I know of are Powershifter and Ranger in the Z06. Powershifter is a friend of mine - and his car is NOT BONE STOCK. He has an intake and runs on drag radials. His best time I know of is 11.67@119. That's not a stock car and that's not faster than 11.6 and it's not more than 121mph. As for Ranger, I think he ran a 120.5mph but that was with an intake and he was on drag radials. Again, show me a STOCK CAR that can run 121mph or 11.6. You can't, because the CAR CAN'T DO IT!!!! There is no more to it - the car is not capable of it.

95yello, please don't bench race until you know the subject. It's easy to do some intake/exhaust mods on a Viper and run in the 123mph range.. and I'm sure a few have even run higher. Jason H ran 11.5's stock and my friend Greg ran faster than that on drag radials. You can't compare a modded car being driven by some of the best drivers and compare that to a magazine time for a stock Viper and claim the former is faster than the latter. That's just ********. So are you ready to correct your statement or do you have some evidence of a stock Z06 running more than 121 and less than 11.6??? Waiting.... waiting.... waiting.... (just like I do at the traps for the Vettes to catch up)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What we said back in the olden days was, "the only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic money".
I think it's obvious that this is why we have the V10 that we have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang