Viper line up for sale......

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh sh#t. If this is true I hope who ever acquires it keeps the Viper a Viper.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Chrysler exploring options for Viper?

It sounds to me like they are either looking to sell the brand entirely or keep the brand and contract it's production out to another company, who knows?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Based on my experience, when I hear this line: "...planning to explore strategic options"...it means that the particular asset in question is not in the company's future plans. Having third-party discussions is not a bad thing. At least they're trying to keep the Viper alive somehow.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What does this do to your warranty and/or plans to buy a Max care warranty?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Only 600 units? Isn't that historically low at this point in the year? Is this a retail number of delivered vehicles? I understand that the brand and dealer network will give it traction but 600 units makes the business really hard to value...

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont be so cool when Tata buys it, puts in a diesel and a pickup bed on the back...wait..maybe that would be cool :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that Nardelli said that: "We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper." and: "As the company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties."
indicates to me that the Viper is done after the 2009 model. There have been no tests meeting the 2010 certification requirements to my knowledge. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about the certification issue.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Dodge Viper sports car could be history--at Chrysler LLC.
The company said on Wednesday that it is "exploring strategic options for the Dodge Viper business."
"This strategic review comes as the company focuses on enhancing its core business and leveraging its assets," Chrysler said in a statement.
Here is what Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli said about the potential sale of the Viper:
"We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper," Nardelli said in a memo to employees.
"As the Company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties. We will do so keeping in mind the best interests of those who have shown tremendous support for the vehicle--including employees, suppliers, dealers and a worldwide group of loyal Viper owners and enthusiasts.
"Viper is an integral part of this company's heritage. While this is a strategic review, our intent would be to offer strong operational and financial support during any potential transaction, in order to ensure a future for the Viper business and perpetuate the legacy of this great vehicle."
This article was last updated on: 08/27/08, 10:33 et AutoWeek Weekly

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
One can only hope that "outsourcing" all parts and assembly, but keeping the Dodge Name on the car would be an option.

With Ralph G in our corner.... one can only hope!

C'mon Cerberus, let's NEVER forget the Viper Halo effect. THERE ISN'T A MORE EFFECTIVE WAY OF MARKETING ALL DODGE PRODUCTS THAN HAVING 1500 NEW (AND 15,000 EXISTING) TRAVELING BILLBOARDS DRIVING, PARKING and PROUDLY PARADING TO PROVE THAT DODGE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP UP WITH THE BIG BOYS!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have only one hope, whoever buys it, keep it a Viper. I don't want a backseat or a V8. I'd rather see it die completely than become a mass produced, babyseat hold-down having, family version of the Corvette.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that Nardelli said that: "We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper." and: "As the company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties."
indicates to me that the Viper is done after the 2009 model. There have been no tests meeting the 2010 certification requirements to my knowledge. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about the certification issue.

Bob, AFAIK 2010 is the last currently planned year for the Viper. I agree with your overall assessment of the situation, however.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have only one hope, whoever buys it, keep it a Viper. I don't want a backseat or a V8. I'd rather see it die completely than become a mass produced, babyseat hold-down having, family version of the Corvette.

I totally agree the VIPER should STAY the RAW BEAST that it is. A full-on DRIVERS' car...I DO disagree that the Corvette is a babyseat holding family car~~! :D
LOVE my Vette, but NO, not as much as the VIPER/BEAST!!!! :drive::drive: ~juli

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I totally agree the VIPER should STAY the RAW BEAST that it is. A full-on DRIVERS' car...I DO disagree that the Corvette is a babyseat holding family car~~! :D
LOVE my Vette, but NO, not as much as the VIPER/BEAST!!!! :drive::drive: ~juli

Hey Juli, I meant I didn't want the Viper to become a watered down Corvette :) I haven't seen any baby-seat tie downs in Vettes, and for that, I'm glad :D Vettes are great cars, but I prefer to keep the Viper 5 notches above them

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys, this is GOOD news, I just spoke with Chris Marshall by cell as he and the other National Officers are rolling back down I 75 to the VOI hotel from their meeting with Jim Press and other Chrysler officials. Chris will be on the board to comment shortly but the VCA through the National Officers have been informed of this process and I believe the timing of the release was to be right after their meeting. They see it as good news and they wanted you to know as soon as possible.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Juli, I meant I didn't want the Viper to become a watered down Corvette :) I haven't seen any baby-seat tie downs in Vettes, and for that, I'm glad :D

LOL...I hear ya! Cus, ya know, we actually saw a Canadian RACING VIPER with a babyseat installed in the front...VERY VERY STRANGE!!!! :omg: I would not accept ANY watered-down performance vehicle!~! I definitely hear ya, we are AGREEING totally!
Viper = RAW BEAST! Corvette = Comfort w/performance as needed ~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanx Lee...it's GREAT to know this can be GOOD NEWS for us VIPER-FANATICS...can't wait to see what Chris has to say about it....thank you, Lee~~~juli

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is Chrysler will have a contractor build it under Chrysler direction. Not unlike other how Daewoo builds GM cars and keeps the badge under the OE name. It will still be a Dodge Viper but built by (Pininfarina, Saleen, Roush, Prefix............)

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only 600 units? Isn't that historically low at this point in the year? Is this a retail number of delivered vehicles? I understand that the brand and dealer network will give it traction but 600 units makes the business really hard to value...

I dont understand either..... my understanding was that they they were all sold, and that they were building about 1500 Vipers in 2008. how do they come up with 600 sold units?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted in the other thread but I will follow up here, Chris Marshall just called me by cell at the VOI hotel as he and the other National Officers were leaving their meeting with Jim Press and other Chrysler officials, they were informed about this process and they consider it GOOD news for the continuation of Viper, and they wanted to let you know that as soon as possible. It seems the timing of the announcemet was to coincide with the end of their meeting. Chris will be on the board shortly to comment further.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude