Viper line up for sale......

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like my sports heros, I would sooner see them go out on top, not follow the way of a Mike Tyson to the end. Same goes for Viper! If it can maintain top performance and still be iconic, then carry it on, but if it waters down and is Viper in name only, kill it and quickly.

Couple of very interesting things to consider:

1. Ford has dumped a ton of development money into the V-10 program which was suppose to power the next generation high-end Mustang and F-Series. That leaves no vehicle for all that development. With the way of the world going Green, that doesn't really make sense anymore for the Mustang since the Shelby thing is a short lived project which Shelby admitted to.

2. I don't think Saleen/ASC is really prepped nor funded to take a run at it in any form other than assembly for a company like Ford. I think everyone is ruling out a Ford Shelby Automobilies partnership to bring back the Cobra. The one that basically started it all.

I guess thos eof us that wanted a Ford GT and a Viper may, in fact get our chance. Body by Shelby, drivetrain by Ford, Assembly by Saleen and nameplate by Dodge (Purchased by Ford or Shelby Automobiles).

It all makes perfect sense to me.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone buys out the Viper--then turns it into a crap-box, then I'd just as soon see it end.

Same here. The key will be to keep it raw. The Viper will die if it turns into the same thing as every other sports car. The sad thing is, our ****** government regulations are gradually blending all sports cars into one.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you only put 300 miles a year on your Viper then I suppose you'd like to see them stop production. But many Viper owners bought their Vipers to drive them and since production numbers too high to put Vipers into any big-dollar market stratosphere we'd like to see the Viper continue to be built.

Are you seeing the same Vipers I'm seeing? High-mileage Vipers are uncommon, not the norm. Honestly, I can't recall seeing a group of performance cars that get driven less for under $100K. Even the majority of Corvettes get parked and driven on sunny days only, and those are 1/2 the price and over twice the number of enthusiasts. The fact is that most aren't driven much, and are tucked away in nice garages.

Need another example, check out prices on turbo Supras. Just about all of those were purchased as daily drivers when new. Now even clean high-mileage ones sell for $35-50K. For a car built in 1993. Why? Supply and demand, they quit building them.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the buyer will be Mercedes. They had already designed the 800ft-lb, 400hp turbo diesel version.

186SL800_Gullwing.JPG

jk

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you seeing the same Vipers I'm seeing? High-mileage Vipers are uncommon, not the norm. Honestly, I can't recall seeing a group of performance cars that get driven less for under $100K. Even the majority of Corvettes get parked and driven on sunny days only, and those are 1/2 the price and over twice the number of enthusiasts. The fact is that most aren't driven much, and are tucked away in nice garages.

Need another example, check out prices on turbo Supras. Just about all of those were purchased as daily drivers when new. Now even clean high-mileage ones sell for $35-50K. For a car built in 1993. Why? Supply and demand, they quit building them.

Depends on one's definition of high mileage obviously. Granted, there will not be many with the kind of mileage of a 10-year-old minivan or SUV, but there are plenty with over 50K miles on them. Collectors wouldn't be too impressed with that kind of mileage.

We don't wanna get into the "cars as an investment" discussion here. Everybody already knows the answer to that. I have no intention of selling my Vipers so this is all a moot point for me.

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this isn't one of the VOI10 'suprises'.

Sorry, it was one of the surprises. There were no specific plans to keep making the Viper after 2009, it was still in discussion. I asked the shuttle driver yesterday who used to work for Chrysler and said the last contract approved allowed for the closing of CAAP. Tonight they told us at the welcome dinner that several companies have offered to buy the Viper line and keep producing them. Chrysler is entertaining the offers and feel it might be the best chance of continued Viper production but it isn't set in stone and no one knows for sure what will happen yet. They did say that the Viper is not going to go off in the sunset and they are commited to keeping it going somehow.

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Cerberus, let's NEVER forget the Viper Halo effect. THERE ISN'T A MORE EFFECTIVE WAY OF MARKETING ALL DODGE PRODUCTS THAN HAVING 1500 NEW (AND 15,000 EXISTING) TRAVELING BILLBOARDS DRIVING, PARKING and PROUDLY PARADING TO PROVE THAT DODGE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP UP WITH THE BIG BOYS!

This vehicle could just as easily be a Panos. I've owned two Vipers and ZERO other Dodge Products. The Viper is a car on it's own and the fact that it has a Dodge badge on it, is not a "plus" for me.

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Dodge dealer told one of our members today that 09 is the last year for our Viper. Dodge will not build a 2010. The Dodge dealer said he was told today by a zone manager ...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: A China company might own us.

This is really the last VOI then. :(

Why release this when the VOI is going on.........
On the first part, nope! There WILL be a VOI 11 one way or another. Was even discussed at the VOI dinner tonight.

The second question actually has an EXCELLENT answer: As a Viper owner, especially one attending VOI, how would you have felt if they announced this a week after VOI had ended? Answer: Betrayed. But rather than risk that, the folks at Chrysler very specifically invited the VCA to their headquarters before that press release went out. They very carefully explained the situation, stressing the fact that this is an incredible opportunity for the Viper to continue on. When was the last time a major manufacturer consulted an ownership group before making a very substantial press release about a key product?

Of course we have been discussing this extensively here in Detroit all day, both with fellow VCA members and the occasional SRT/Chrysler employee. In doing so, there were a couple analogies being passed around that are proving to be very accurate:

"Gee, I guess this means the Viper is dead". Totally the opposite, and here is why: Let's say you were thinking about bulldozing your house. It had served you well for 20+ years and you love it dearly, but you knew it would need some updates to bring it up to your neighborhood code - updates that could cost you considerable money. So you debated and debated - and debated some more. In the meantime, people began hearing about your dilemma and started looking at your house. A couple of them fell instantly in love. And then one made you a pretty amazing offer to buy it and move it to their own neighborhood where the rules were less stringent - even talked about making some upgrades. And still others started making similar overtures. Would you bulldoze that house now? Not a chance. You get to save something you love and even see it go to somebody you know can better afford to take care of it and appreciate it.

"If somebody buys it they will probably just ruin it and change it into something totally different." Now let's say you were going to buy a McDonalds restaurant franchise or even the entire company. Would you immediately change the menu? Of course not! If that were the case you would simply invest that money and start up a new restaurant (or chain) with your own menu ideas. Instead, you buy a McDonalds to capitalize on the heritage and the things people have come to expect from the brand. You might build on it but you will most definitely leave the menu itself just as it was successfully designed from the beginning. Otherwise why waste that kind of money?

So there you have it. The analogies are accurate and being actively discussed here in Detroit. There is a genuine sense of excitement here and never more so about the future of the Viper. Dead? Not even close. Changing? Only for the better.

And allow me to reiterate what I posted previously, as this is a very key piece of the puzzle: Chrysler and Cerberus want the VCA very actively involved during this process. This club and its members have been directly influencing the direction of the Viper for some time now. There is simply not a more passionate ownership group on this planet. They know that we not only buy this model, but every other model they build. More importantly, we directly influence tens of thousands of other potential buyers. When you go to a car show and see people swarming the only Viper there, you want one of your own. And if you can't get it then, you will start with another great SRT product and work your way up. Does Chrysler want to lose that? Of course not.

The bottom line is that this is the best possible scenario for the company, the VCA and its members (both current and future), and most especially for the Viper itself. Throw in a record run around The Ring, and this is a spectacular day to be a Viper owner!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dodge dealer told one of our members today that 09 is the last year for our Viper. Dodge will not build a 2010. The Dodge dealer said he was told today by a zone manager ...
The VCA was graciously provided a copy of Bob Nardelli's memo to Chrysler employees - which most definitely did not (nor would) not include hard dates - as they are completely unknown. Some Chrysler employees will unintentionally fuel some of these false rumors as they are providing their own conjecture along the way. Kinda like the game of "telephone" where the final message is distorted from what was originally said.

Of course with the ownership clearly in flux I don't know that I would plan on on the current platform going indefinitely. Now is one heck of a great time to buy a Dodge Viper!! :2tu:

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT ,

So you are saying that the red/yellow McDonald's Viper is to reappear in future production? :lmao:

J/K... Thank you for your informed input. It means a great deal to those of us whom are not in the immediate loop of information! :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the buyer will be Mercedes. They had already designed the 800ft-lb, 400hp turbo diesel version.

186SL800_Gullwing.JPG

jk

:omg:Wow, Tom, I'd already written that I 'suspected' that...and got BLASTED for suggesting it~!!! :smirk: LOL...JUST CONTINUE THE VIPER...keep it RAW and a BEAST, that's all I ask. :2tu: ~juli
WHOEVER buys it!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, it was one of the surprises. There were no specific plans to keep making the Viper after 2009, it was still in discussion. I asked the shuttle driver yesterday who used to work for Chrysler and said the last contract approved allowed for the closing of CAAP. Tonight they told us at the welcome dinner that several companies have offered to buy the Viper line and keep producing them. Chrysler is entertaining the offers and feel it might be the best chance of continued Viper production but it isn't set in stone and no one knows for sure what will happen yet. They did say that the Viper is not going to go off in the sunset and they are commited to keeping it going somehow.

Thanks Jimmy. I feel much better knowing you're on the case! :2tu:

D

DAMN YANKEE

Delusional......

The Viper is a masterpiece of American Horsepower, built by Dodge. The news IS, Dodge has decided not to continue to build it and would simply STOP except somebody has shown SOME interest in the line...What kind of interest? who knows?

For some of us, this is not news, but a confirmation of obvious trends set in place years ago. Wasn't good news then...it was disappointing and concerning (as was the lack of perception by the enthusiasts) but it is not the first time and won't be the last a fine car's time has come...and gone.

Heads out of the sand (being nice here).

1. Want one of the last ones? Order it now!
2. Like the breadth and depth of accessories both original and aftermarket? Order them now!
3. Spare parts? Stash them now!
4. Don't want to own a car that isn't it production? Sell it now!

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: All just a bad dream.....

I read this thread at 12:30 last night and I woke up this am and thought it might just be a bad dream...Viper sport wagon ,Saleen Viper,merger of equals,etc. Someone pinch me.please...

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Delusional......

The Viper is a masterpiece of American Horsepower, built by Dodge. The news IS, Dodge has decided not to continue to build it and would simply STOP except somebody has shown SOME interest in the line...What kind of interest? who knows?

For some of us, this is not news, but a confirmation of obvious trends set in place years ago. Wasn't good news then...it was disappointing and concerning (as was the lack of perception by the enthusiasts) but it is not the first time and won't be the last a fine car's time has come...and gone.

Heads out of the sand (being nice here).

1. Want one of the last ones? Order it now!
2. Like the breadth and depth of accessories both original and aftermarket? Order them now!
3. Spare parts? Stash them now!
4. Don't want to own a car that isn't it production? Sell it now!

6XX sold 12XX built 50% unsold. lots of cars in dealers stock can't be a good sign :dunno:

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA was graciously provided a copy of Bob Nardelli's memo to Chrysler employees - which most definitely did not (nor would) not include hard dates - as they are completely unknown. Some Chrysler employees will unintentionally fuel some of these false rumors as they are providing their own conjecture along the way. Kinda like the game of "telephone" where the final message is distorted from what was originally said.

Of course with the ownership clearly in flux I don't know that I would plan on on the current platform going indefinitely. Now is one heck of a great time to buy a Dodge Viper!! :2tu:

were you a cheerleader at some point in your life?

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Has it not crossed anyones mind that maybe we, the current Viper owners/VCA should put together a bid to buy the Viper line. USA today says the Viper line could be purchased for 140-150 million.

All of us who are passionate about our cars could become the owners of the company - like the Green Bay folks.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Has it not crossed anyones mind that maybe we, the current Viper owners/VCA should put together a bid to buy the Viper line. USA today says the Viper line could be purchased for 140-150 million.

All of us who are passionate about our cars could become the owners of the company - like the Green Bay folks.

Great intention but talk about having way too many cooks in the kitchen...the carnage would be second to none.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense for Saleen to pick up production. Especially now that their own marquee supercar (the S7) is no longer produced. Well they would likely keep the Viper formula the same, I bet you could expect different trim levels and power levels much like their famed Mustangs. They also have decent experience in production, marketing, and parts distribution of low volume, high performance vehicles.

I would be very excitited if this was the direction the Viper was going. :eater:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has it not crossed anyones mind that maybe we, the current Viper owners/VCA should put together a bid to buy the Viper line. USA today says the Viper line could be purchased for 140-150 million

Sure, put me down for $100. As soon as we get 1.5 million Viper enthusiasts willing to do the same we will have a rep contact Cerberus with the offer.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were only roughly 300 built last year so the plant could close down for retooling for the 2008 model.Herb Helbig approached Cerebus about a future aluminum platform for the Viper but was shot down.
If it wasn't mentioned,the 680 or so cars built were only for the U.S. market.
As well Dodge was still taking orders for the 2008 model past Feb.of this year.I ordered mine the middle of March and received it on June 9

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned.... If Dodge is not building it NO ONE SHOULD. I do not mind a production stop but no way in hell do I want to see something like a Isuzu Viper! If Dodge were to sell to someone like that I might just sell my car and my SRT Ram....

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were only roughly 300 built last year so the plant could close down for retooling for the 2008 model.Herb Helbig approached Cerebus about a future aluminum platform for the Viper but was shot down.
If it wasn't mentioned,the 680 or so cars built were only for the U.S. market.
As well Dodge was still taking orders for the 2008 model past Feb.of this year.I ordered mine the middle of March and received it on June 9

Additionally, there was talk that the ZC-based Viper and the high-end Mercedes-McClaren coupe (whatever they're calling it now) were going to share a platform. I would guess the split between Chrysler and Daimler put the stop to that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude