Viper line up for sale......

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were only roughly 300 built last year so the plant could close down for retooling for the 2008 model.Herb Helbig approached Cerebus about a future aluminum platform for the Viper but was shot down.
If it wasn't mentioned,the 680 or so cars built were only for the U.S. market.
As well Dodge was still taking orders for the 2008 model past Feb.of this year.I ordered mine the middle of March and received it on June 9

You were one of the Lucky customers who probably chose a color in current production. I ordered my RED ACR in Dec 07 & will probably not receive it until late Sept or Oct.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USA today says the Viper line could be purchased for 140-150 million.

The article goes on to say;

"It's a shame to see it go and probably could be interpreted as a sign of desperation, only because it's not a whole lot coming from that kind of sale." "The viper brand is valuable to Chrysler because it gives people a reason to go into the showroom".

"If nothing else, it's given them that halo product that competes with GM's halo product head-to-head."

D

DAMN YANKEE

There are some great new designs that could now be considered....

You must be registered for see images

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, it was one of the surprises. There were no specific plans to keep making the Viper after 2009, it was still in discussion. I asked the shuttle driver yesterday who used to work for Chrysler and said the last contract approved allowed for the closing of CAAP. Tonight they told us at the welcome dinner that several companies have offered to buy the Viper line and keep producing them. Chrysler is entertaining the offers and feel it might be the best chance of continued Viper production but it isn't set in stone and no one knows for sure what will happen yet. They did say that the Viper is not going to go off in the sunset and they are commited to keeping it going somehow.

Another update: Our group toured CAAP today, and again, there are no plans to make any 2010 Vipers in that plant, which is due to be closed. That doesn't mean that it will be. They said that Chrysler promised them that as long as they keep the quality on the Viper up, that they would still build them. It could be built somewhere else, or with another company as a partner, or many other possibilities. The point is, Chrysler doesn't appear to be abandoning the Viper or the employees that make it, but is looking at all options to continue the Viper in some way given the financial situation the Big Three are in at this point. The Viper production is about half of normal because usually they are sold out with orders by Feb. of every year and that didn't happen for 2008 so there are less people on the line. When we toured the Saleen plant, they're also producing less because the demand has fallen. I think most auto manufacturers are feeling the pain of the economy right now and the decreased demand for their vehicles. The Viper isn't dead yet, but the future is unknown. Hey, I have a 94 RT10 and I'm not upset that it wasn't built in the plant I toured today and I will never see the plant it was built in. As long as they keep making a great Viper product, somewhere in the USA, we should be happy and deal with change. The only thing constant is change. IMO

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saleen production is down because they have no clue how to price a car. $100K for a Sterling Edition. $85K for an Extreme. $75K for a fully loaded H302. Come on, the economy needs to be back in the days of Clinton when he inspired all to have Humidores to get that kind of money. Since when did adding a Supercharger, making some minor engine mods, some small suspension mods, adding Katzkin seat covers, constitute a $25K to $50K increase in cost over and above the stock vehicle. Saleen has struggled to find their way since the merger and departure of Steve Saleen a few years ago. Viper painting has helped but it is not the same and is a band aide for the company finances.

However they just abandoned all the new S331 truck owners as they discontinued the line. Same thing for the Saleen Focus, Saleen Ranger and many other lines before it. Having owned Saleens all my life and being bit by Saleen on an XP8 Explorer where they abandoned the truck and ALL support 1.5 years after sale, not even upholding the 3 yr, 36,000 mile Factory warranty you can bet that Saleen ownership is not where we all want to be. Been there and done that. Will never buy a Saleen Viper.

Are Viper owners ready for 1 yr, 12,000 mile warranties on brand new cars, as has been present on every S351R and Extreme I have purchased over the years? Parts that get sourced from multiple areas and undocumented for future colectibility and restoration abilities since they license them under Saleen but will NOT give authority to the suppliers to make more. Saleens can not even get basic floor mats reproduced for cars they made 20+ years ago because they will not release the rights to reproduce them. Heaven forbid they make any replacement parts at all. They backed out of body panel sourcing after only a few years from POS. This is Saleen fellows, understand what you are getting into here. Do you want Viper to continue on like that?

Sorry for sounding sour, but lets be real here, Saleen ownership is not all it is cracked up to be. Yes they can assemble a good car, but ownership is another aspect. Shelby American ownership, well that might help to take the car in a different direction which might be good or bad for the current Viper owners. Same goes for SMS Limited. More than likely V-10 aspect will be gone, but maybe not.

If the purpose of the VCA is to protect the owners and preserve what has been created, than I say kill the damn thing off now after 2008 production or 2009 production. Let it stand for what it stood for. That should protect the investment (though it never is a good investment) of the cars and owners out there. A Viper, not by Dodge, is not a Viper, it is something else.

Are any of you really going to buy a non-Dodge Viper?

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More news. At dinner tonight they are saying there will be a VOI 11, and the Viper will still be produced, and no decisions have been made that are set in stone. I'm not going to give an opinion either way, just passing on the news.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At dinner tonight they are saying there will be a VOI 11, and the Viper will still be produced, and no decisions have been made that are set in stone.

And just last year Cerberus spent 1/2 BILLION dollars to upgrade their minivan plant in St. Louis to a flexible manufacturing facility, raising the hopes of the employees there that they would have a secure future for years to come. The plant will be closing its doors October 31. Happy Halloween, Chrysler workers.

I don't believe anything Cerberus says until it happens.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont be so cool when Tata buys it, puts in a diesel and a pickup bed on the back...wait..maybe that would be cool :)

Not a diesel.. but when I was in the Auburn Hills Chrysler complex many years ago, there was a very cool PT cruiser on display in the hallway, modified as a pickup truck, lowered, and it had a Viper engine in it.

GH & Ford already has a market for Utes in Australia.. we just got news that GM will be selling them over here in North America.. a modern version of the El Camino..

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would a deal have to be done before the Conner Ave. plant shuts down? Since there are no plans to produce the car in 2010, would Viper just go away or would Chrysler try selling the brand after they pulled the plug and let all the plant employees go?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing going on over at GM. They have decided that they need to spin off the Corvette.

With the new gas mileage federal mandates at 35 mpg no major manufacturer will be able to make anything but the most fuel efficient cars.

Small manufacturers like Porshe are exempted from the standards and can produce niche cars without government interferance.

Maybe lines will be sold to Roush, Saleen, or another small volume producer that will take over the underutilized Conner plant and be able to use both of the assembly lines in a efficient manner.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would a deal have to be done before the Conner Ave. plant shuts down? Since there are no plans to produce the car in 2010, would Viper just go away or would Chrysler try selling the brand after they pulled the plug and let all the plant employees go?

I understand the building's lease ends then, but conceivably it could be renewed if a deal were expected, unless there is some other constraint out there.

OPHITOX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lawenzo,

5.4 L supercharged Ford GT engine is awesome, I have one. I also have an 08 SSG coupe, completely different cars but still both awesome. Sad reality is hitting American Sports cars thanks to the legislation, the freaking green people and gas prices. Can't believe that Dodge will sell Viper, they will sink to new lows. I am concerned about warranties and parts, now and in the future. Read page 5 of the summer 08 issue of Viper magazine. It certainly gives one the impression that Chrysler is behind the viper, but with the aquisition of Nardelli, it is a matter of time before this sports car icon is dumped. Maybe Chrysler will bring back the K-Car?

Really disappointed in all of this new info, especially being a new 08 owner, after selling my 01 GTS, and facing a selling of the Viper by Chrysler. Saleen and Rousch are not exactly the darlings of Wall Street right now either. Both are having difficulties.

Last edited:

OPHITOX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Chrysler exploring options for Viper?

The Dodge Viper sports car could be history--at Chrysler LLC.
The company said on Wednesday that it is "exploring strategic options for the Dodge Viper business."
"This strategic review comes as the company focuses on enhancing its core business and leveraging its assets," Chrysler said in a statement.
Here is what Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli said about the potential sale of the Viper:
"We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper," Nardelli said in a memo to employees.
"As the Company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties. We will do so keeping in mind the best interests of those who have shown tremendous support for the vehicle--including employees, suppliers, dealers and a worldwide group of loyal Viper owners and enthusiasts.
"Viper is an integral part of this company's heritage. While this is a strategic review, our intent would be to offer strong operational and financial support during any potential transaction, in order to ensure a future for the Viper business and perpetuate the legacy of this great vehicle."
This article was last updated on: 08/27/08, 10:33 et AutoWeek Weekly

Having a difficult time believing the above assessments. Guess that is the pessimism in me.

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at VOI 10 and heard the news first hand and I have to say I can't get my mind around it. Its been a week but it still doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't matter whether or not they may a profit directly on the Viper or not. That's not the point. Its a halo car. It attracts others to the brand. Heck most of us own other Chrysler products because of the Viper. I have two Vipers and two Jeeps. I have people chasing me down the highway when I'm driving my Viper just to give me a thumbs up. How many other cars get that kind of reaction? Not many.

While on the CAAP tour during VOI they showed a video where a former VCA officer stated how one member had purchased 5000 Ram trucks for his company fleet as a result of his experience with the Viper. They also said how Viper was on the cover of more car magazines than any other automobile ever! How do they give up on all that unless Chrysler is seriously going down the tubes and this is an act of utter desperation?

The best assembly workers work at CAAP and they weren't fans of this news either. They went out of their way to tell us so.

Most of the VCA members I've spoken to at VOI and after are also against the sale. I understand that Fed regulations for 2010, including an offset rear collision standard, mean that the Viper must be re-engineered. I know this may be expensive and may be the reason why Chrysler is considering a sale.

I've always thought that Chrysler had more true car guys than any other manufacuter. I've met several and they are not just engineers they are racers and care passionately about the Viper and SRT. I say to Chrysler let these folks do what they do best. Let them figure out how to make the Viper compliant with Fed standards and let them continue to up the bar for Chevy and all other takers. Heck isn't this how Viper came to be in the first place? Do it again. I'm told that the two senior people at Cerebus took delivery of 08 Vipers in the spring. Where are they why can't we hear directly from them? They must be Viperholics by now assuming they have driven the cars.

I own a Saleen and its a great car that I love but Viper is a Dodge. If Chrysler wants Saleen or any others to build the Viper, fine, but keep it a Dodge and keep it raw. V10 power and lots of torque and horsepower. I recently read a Car and Driver comparison on the Z06, the Viper, a GT3, and a Nissan GTR. The GTR won. They gave it points for a backseat and a larger trunk. I'm sure the GTR is a nice car but what the heck has America come to? Give me a two seater with lots of HP and torque. I don't need no stinkin' trunk and I don't need to stinkin' backseat. Give me a Viper! A Dodge Viper!! LONG LIVE VIPER!!!!!!!!!!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother's father in-law is a very high up at GM and he cannot figure out why they would sell the Viper brand especially for the nominal amount of money they would actually get for it.

trojewski

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sylvan: Well said. It's "peanuts" compared to 7.5 BILLION! There has got to be more to this story. Re-engineering, CAFE? I was at VOI.10, I don't buy the company line. Wha t is the real story?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
private equity ownership means the truth may never be known, they can tell whoever, whatever they want(no stockholders or public to answer to) and change their mind the next day without much consequence. lets just hope that it was a great publicity stunt !

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all about image right now. No matter what they do with their new "Greenies" they come out with, the Viper will down play that image as it is old technology and not change. It's the past.

People in markting should not be allowed to talk becuase they sure can't think. Cerebus must have contacted Anderson Consulting on this brainwave.

I say, just let it die with dignity and on top. Grab them while you can. I am sure their values will be going up soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude