Viper maint costs

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Viper in Jan-Feb '05 time frame, and I'm currently in the research stages. I want to make sure that I've covered my bases and check out ballpark maint expenses.

How much do standard things cost like:

Brake jobs (assuming rotors aren't thrashed)
clutch replacement
tune ups
fuel injection service
insurance

How about hidden costs?

A few fun things:

header install (labor only, obviously parts can/will vary)
roller rocker install (" ")
cat back exhaust install

What are the most common failures?

I've heard the Gen I models have head gasket issues, but
the Gen II models don't. What other common issues are
lurking around?

Are the recall items only fixed for the original owner, or
does the car still have to be under a factory recognized warranty?

Thanks a lot. I'm finding some great resources on the web and I'm thinking about going to a local SF Bay area VCA meeting to learn more (I'll definitely join once I get my Viper).

Sorry for so many questions. I've been enjoying reading a lot of the VCA forums.

Thanks,
Brian

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cal, I have had my 04 SRT since 11/03 and hav 4100 miles on it. Maint cost so far only $200 for oil changes (3). My GTS is pretty much a track only car now and those expenses vary. I can tell you it is no more to maintain than my Z06 was. I do all my own labor.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you are talking Gen 1 & I I Vipers, then they are expensive because the parts are post-production. Gen III should be cheaper.

From what I've read on this site, oil changes $75-$150, 15K maintenance $450-$600, wheel balancing $25-$450, tires $750-$1200, labor $50-$100/hr. You save a bundle if you DIY.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have any mechanical aptitude you can do most maintenance yourself. Vipers are the easiest car to work on of any car built today.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I spent a lot of time restoring 60's Mustangs, and even rebuilt a handful of engines (including an original and 100% real 1970 Boss 302). Last performance car was an 89 Saleen vert (not a Viper I know, but fun as heck to drive). I've always loved the Viper and have considered it out of my range, and was considering getting a 2003-2004 Cobra vert (love the new engine), but after seeing that for only slightly more a Viper could be had, I've changed my sights. In my opinion it's the closet thing I'll see to a real AC Cobra, but in a lot of ways better (and definitely a heck of a lot less expensive).

Thanks,
Brian

Viblur

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cal.. if you can work on 60's Mustangs you should be able to take care of brake work, tune ups and oil changes on the Viper... clutch and flywheel will cost $1450, depending on how you go.. good luck, always look for timing cover leaks..

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your in like flint Brian if you can turn a wrench.

Exhaust mods are easy, I did mine from end to end no problems. Take your time and it goes smooth.

Brake pads are easy as well, and any fluid flush is relatively easy. Usually getting the car safely in the air and level takes longer than any specific fluid change after a few times.

As far as costs it can get a little extreme with the Viper tax that is built in for any Viper specific part, hunt around for the best price and then weep while paying. I find $2000 Cdn for a rear muffler and tailpipes for a GTS a little much, I dropped my rear **** completely and welded in a crossover to drop the drone instead. Considering the performace it's all relative. The Italian makes are far worse for slower performance (in most cases!).

Watch out for tires, Kumhos are an annual item all around!

Good luck.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can DYI you'll save a bundle is right. Had high flow cats and cat back installed last week. While at the dealer, had them change brake, steering, clutch and coolant fluids. Talk about sticker shock, ouch! Serious Viper tax. Anyway, it's done.

Your right, the Viper is a modern AC Cobra. I love it when people say, "what size is the engine, like 5 or 6 litres". When I respond 8 you could set your watch by watching their jaws drop. Never fails. Great car, buy one, you won't regret it.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what you consider expensive.
Compared to an Austin Martin or Ferrari, the Viper is highly reliable and un expensive.

In Canada for a 2000 ACR ...

Breaks (rotor and pads) are unexpensive. (500$US for all stock parts)
Clutch is unexpensive (350$US stock)
Insurance is only 900$US with 900$US deductible.

I do all the maintenance myself ... and it is easier compared to other regular cars.

If you are looking for a reliable exotic car Viper should be a good choice.

Hidden costs ? => poor maintenance like for all cars and maybe too much racing :)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clutch and flywheel will cost $1450,

Aluminum flywheel,new flywheel bolts clutch(LUK),and pressure plate cost me $965 last fall. Done at a Dodge dealer by a certified Viper tech.

Steve

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your comments! I'm pretty excited about getting one of these (even if it will be 5-7 months from now), and I've always enjoyed working on FUN cars (not my commuter car) and this looks like it'll be no exception.

I just wanted to do a reality check and make sure it's not outside of my means when it comes to maintenance. I've heard stories about the Porches and Ferrari bills, and would much rather use that wasted money to build up my car :) So far it sounds right on track.

I'm assuming that these "Viper taxes" are the vendors/dealers milking us just because they think all Viper owners are related to Bill Gates :)

Thanks again I look forward to future posts.

Brian

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....I'm surprised....and happy to hear the Viper isn't all that expensive to get worked on. I'm trying to get my '86 911 Turbo Porsche ready to sell so I can buy an older Viper. This car, while fun, has killed my credit card limits. Had car for a month, spun a rod bearing...valves hit heads....$12K+ engine rebuild....new turbo, new exhaust, new clutch, transmission rebuild, AC rebuild and conversion, new alternator, new......etc.

I only have one car...and it is my primary transportation, so, each time..though, just one more thing. Well, it seems each time the Porsche went into the shop, it was $2-$5K each time. (I think I've had to put in over $30K on this car).

From what I'm reading, the Viper is much more reliable...and MUCH more economical to get fixed and maintain.

Anyone know anyone interested in a Porsche that is mostly rebuilt? I want my Viper now...

:)

I'm working on credit and finances right now in prep. to buy a used Viper. Soon as that is all straigthened and approved...will sell the 930, and get me a snake...

cayenne

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is definitely reliable and while most of us don't think it's economical, it definitely seems to be so in comparison with the 911 Turbo.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my '01 for almost 2 1/2 years and 7500 miles ....no repairs. Oil changes are $80.

As far as insurance..it seems to depend a lot on where you are. I pay $1200 a year with a clean record.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Near about ALL Viper parts have the dreaded "Viper-Tax"

What are you driving now?

Good for you checking things out like parts, maintenance, and insurance now before you get it and then find out later that you can't afford it or it's not really the car for you. (Then wind up selling at a loss which just KILLS Viper resale prices! LOL!!!)

GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my '01 for almost 2 1/2 years and 7500 miles ....no repairs. Oil changes are $80.

As far as insurance..it seems to depend a lot on where you are. I pay $1200 a year with a clean record.

I've checked....my insurance will actually go DOWN by $0.48/mo with me in a '94 viper....from the '86 930.

See? Another money saver for me....
:)

cayenne :rolleyes:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,

Vipers are very easy to work on, compared to 60' Mustangs (and I know with a 69 convertible, 69 Mach1 CJR and 65 Shelby)the main difference is fuel injection and all the electronics.

Good luck.

Luc.00GTS

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cayenne, you make owning a 911 sound so good it's hard to resist your offer to sell it. ;-)

You will find the Viper much better all around.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Cal,
Your question has been posted here a number of times before and I always give the same answer.
First of all I have had my snake for over 4 years and all I have done is oil changes, a p/s hose ($40.00) front pads/rotors (the easiest brake job I have ever done) And just last month had the head gaskets and ps pump replaced mostly because my ext. warr. was about to expire.
I have driven it 33k miles and it has been GREAT.
Theses cars are bulletproof and a blast to drive....
I do alot of my own work on it and its very easy for me, and I dont have as much experience as you do.
GO BUY A SNAKE!!!
Cheers,

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Brian - take out the restoration costs on my car; oil + gas + tires and I'm averaging 0.41/mile. A little high, but considering you're looking at premium fill-ups and 9qt transfusions its a very reasonable number.

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cayenne, you make owning a 911 sound so good it's hard to resist your offer to sell it. ;-)

You will find the Viper much better all around.

Hahaha. I know. Actually, whoever buys it from me will get a pretty good deal. Most of the whole thing has been rebuilt...all it really needs now, is a new headliner, and new paint job....

I loved the car...and it is in good condition, but, I'm frustrated with it (from all I had to do to it over the past 4+ years), and ready for something new. I test drove one Viper...and I'm sold.

Anyway, I've just about got all my credit ends *******...and starting to apply for loans. Once I can get a loan...will start hard to sell the Porsche...and I'm hopeful there in that I already have 3-4 people here at work alone interested in buying it. I'm a single guy...and have one car and a bike...so, trying to time it to get my Viper about the same time I sell my present car.

I'll be in touch with you about your car shortly as soon as I finish ironing out my concerns I listed previously. I've already looked into flights on SW up there to take a look at it....so, just trying to put it all together.

Cayenne

ps. If anyone knows someone who wants a classic 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo, that has been pretty much rebuilt....drop me a line. The sooner I sell it...the sooner I can get a 'snake'. :2tu: