Viper Reliability

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a pre-owned Viper, and I was hoping this forum could steer me in the right direction.

My greatest concern is the reliability of the car.

Is there a year/model, 1999 or earlier, that is known for being particularly trouble-free (or troublesome)?

I realize the Vipers weren't made to be Honda Civics, but you'd hope a car as expensive as a Viper wouldn't fall apart if you look at it funny.

Anyway, due to my line of work, I won't drive it much. Say under 10K miles per year. But I don't want a car that lives at the shop, either. I won't be racing it, aside from the ocassional streetlight sprint, and it will be taken good care of (regular maintenance, etc.)

Also, are there any known, really good Viper techs in the South Florida area? If (when) something goes wrong, I'd like to have a go-to guy.

All (useful) input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen1 Vipers, 92-95 and 96 R/Ts, had a head gasket problem. The fix is a new improved head gasket kit from Dodge. It has all the things needed to change over and sells for about $500 or so.
I don't know the percentage of those cars that wind up needing the new ones. It's not a sure thing need but it seems fairly common.
Total cost for the fix should be under $2500.
As far as I know, this is the only "big" problem with any of the Vipers. Other than that, they are very reliable. The gen1 cars are fairly stark. Not too many doo dads to break.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This topic has been covered seveal times and you might try doing a search for some detailed information.

I have found my 94 RT and 97 GTS to be very reliable and with routine care should serve you well. There are many very nice pre-owned Vipers for sale, so take your time and find the "right" one!!! Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This topic has been covered seveal times and you might try doing a search for some detailed information.

I have found my 94 RT and 97 GTS to be very reliable and with routine care should serve you well. There are many very nice pre-owned Vipers for sale, so take your time and find the "right" one!!! Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Me to!! :cool: