Viper Temp Gauge Question

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here is a picture of my temp gauge and the range that it goes when normal. Is this normal?

You must be registered for see images

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, I wish mine ONLY went up that high!! The ambient temp right now is 110F. That makes the asphalt about 160F or higher. If you drive your Viper in traffic in this temp., it WILL go much higher than that. In fact I have had my computer turn off my a/c because of the water temp. Oh well, when winter comes and it is 72F, it is much happier, as am I.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Normal for me, in AZ as well. I hate driving my car when it's so hot out which is why it mostly only comes out at night.

Rob

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in hot, sweaty, humid as hell GA and mine only goes maybe a millimeter past the 3rd center hash mark. Normally its either dead center or on the 3rd hash mark, but I was told by a Viper tech instructor, as long as you're not in the red, you're ok!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factor this in - the sending unit for the gauge is different than the sending unit for the PCM which is different than the sending unit for the red idiot light. It's not that accurate. When I borrowed a really good OBD-II monitor, I saw the PCM temperature reading was consistently 8 - 10F lower than the gauge. Yes, it could be one end of the engine is cooler than the other, but the interesting part was that the gauge read the highest.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
In a stock car on the street, that's about normal.

I've made some improvements to my cooling system for the track and I get about 220 to 225 F on hot days at the track while running hard. On the street, my GTS rarely gets above 200 F unless I'm stopped and idling for a long time on a very hot day.

Hey Tom, not sure if the Gen II is the same as the Gen III in regards to multiple sending units, but in my Gen III, the PCM gauge reads about 10 degrees higher than my dash gage. Go figure.

My Vipers tend to be "night crawlers" too in the summer.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper