Viper Totaled Today , PICs

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, thats not how it works. The offending party insurance company will probably want YOUR insurance to pay first before/if they will pay the rest. This will not be an easy transaction.

I agree that nobody will want to pay for any of this. What I like about what my insurance told me is that I'm covered either way including the mods. Further more they said that even if they end up paying for part or all of the cost, it won't affect my rates since I was no part at fault. Time will tell. :usa:

TFAST4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I like about what my insurance told me is that I'm covered either way including the mods. Further more they said that even if they end up paying for part or all of the cost, it won't affect my rates since I was no part at fault. Time will tell. :usa:

[/QUOTE]

This is good news. Keep us posted

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
As all the others have said, it just plain S*^%KS !, I have that fear as well since it is not the money or the car but the uniquness of our own cars that we get attached too as we make them our own. Fortunately I live within range of Tator Country and he is the only guy to work on the car so far. PS Remeber you health and Family, keep a smile and get what you deserve for the car !!

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is really a tragedy. In reality the best thing to do is to let your insurance company handle it. They have lawyers on staff ready to go after these guys. This is what you have insurance for. The main objective here is to get you back in a Viper ASAP. Even once your insurance company sues the shop's insurance company it could be years before this is settled. Good luck and I hope to see you back behind the wheel of a Viper soon.

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shelby3, I am sure sorry to hear about your car. I can sympathize, I lost my GTS almost exactly one year ago (May 27) to a teenager doing 65 in a 35 who came across the centerline at me. The only bright spot (if you can call it that) is that thanks to a witness I was found not at fault and my rates did not go up. I loved that car and I am still not over losing it. I wish you the best of luck getting the full value of your car.

Poolfanatic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My quick .02 -

1) I would consult with an attorney who specializes in liability cases of this type, but not retain him at this time. Give the insurance companies time to work it out to your satisfaction - if not, then retain him and go for the jugular.
2) Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle is a felony - the ability to press charges in this instance might also be used as an ace up your sleeve if needed.
3) Collect all your receipts for everything that you have done to the vehicle and have your own independent assessment of the fair market value for your car and modifications done - present it to all parties involved and let them know that you will not deviate from this by one penny.
4) Above all, stick to your guns. Do not accept anything less than what you're 100% comfortable with.

Good luck.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I saw a guy recenty post a 96 Blue/White with 6K miles. Use that as input too and maybe buy it as your replacement.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next time I will service my Viper I will ask for an insurance proof from the dealer. Especially in Canada that would ****. In Quebec you can't even sue the guy.

tealviper94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would also go with pain and suffering. The pain that you felt when you got the call that your car was wrecked, and then the suffering that you experenced when you saw the car. Plus all the hasles of trying to find another car that meets your standards and going without your baby to drive. I feel your pain. Be sure to document everything! Be sure that you don't cuss or call the persons involved names or any physical contact. If this does go to court you dont want to give them anything that they can use against you. Granted all of us would love to go balastic and just beat the living crap out of them!. Just keep a cool head and it will work out. Sorry for the loss and good luck.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is sad. I showed my 11 year old son the pictures of your car and he nearly cried. (He likes ours a lot as you can imagine). He couldn't believe that someone would do that to another person's car. He asked me not to leave our car at a shop.

A nice opening jesture on the part of the shop owner would be a very public firing.

On the insurance front, your company sounds like mine. I have State Farm. We were in a 5 car accident thanks to a drunk driver. All cars totaled except our SUV (slight bend to the bumper and gas tank skid plate; we ended up with a car below ours. (Wife stuffed it into 4wd and drove off the car underneath hers!)

The drunk's (a lady) insurance company (Allstate) called up the next day to start telling my wife the hoops she would have to jump through before they paid the claim. (ridiculous)

I suggested she call our agent to see what's up. His immediate response was do nothing, agree to nothing, don't even talk to them until you hear from me again, which will be about 5 minutes. It wasn't five minutes, it was about three, and a State farm employee called.

His direction was pretty simple: "Take it where you like, when you like, and get it fixed to your satisfaction. Rent an equivilent car until yours is repaired." (Allstate told her she could have an econobox). "Send all of the bills to me and I will pay them. I will in turn collect from Allstate. You pay us to take care of problems like this. If they call again, give them my name and number and tell them not to call you again."

It went just like he said, and no rate increase. I'd let the insurance company handle it.

I would noodle on pressing charges, if possible, as a seperate matter.

Best of luck, and start looking for another Blue and White!

Craig

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Re: State Farm

Not to hijack this thread, but if they offer insurance in your state, even if you pay a slightly higher premium, go with State Farm. They are an EXCELLENT insurance company. I've had my last 3 cars with them and they treat you right when something goes wrong. Best insurance company I've ever dealt with.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

Not to hijack this thread, but if they offer insurance in your state, even if you pay a slightly higher premium, go with State Farm. They are an EXCELLENT insurance company. I've had my last 3 cars with them and they treat you right when something goes wrong. Best insurance company I've ever dealt with.

As point of reference I have same positve results with SF for all my vehicles, fortunate that I have yet to a have a viper issue, again good luck !

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ditto on State Farm. They even covered a motorcycle which I wadded into little twisted bits at Buttonwillow racetrack during a track training day.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well so far at least I found out the guy driving the car is insured by State Farm. Police report said driver stepped on gas pedal too hard resulting in excessive speed and loss of control. I kinda had that part figured out by looking at the car. :confused: :usa:

C4L3B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,
One of our salespeople told me that they have recently sold a viper to someone that had the same thing happen.

are you guys watching your mileage (before/after the shop) more closely now?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have looked at my mileage to make sure no one is joy riding the car. You can never be too careful.

I hope everything goes in your favor!!

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Davis DriveRight carchip (I think that's what it's called). It's about the size of a 9V battery and plugs into your OBD port. It records distance, time, speed, acceleration and deacceleration levels as well as 4 other selectable engine parameters. It also records when the unit is removed or inserted into the OBD port. You can download the data to your PC to view it. I have one and I love it.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recording the mileage or installing a chip won't prevent someone who doesn't care from jumping in the car and taking it for a spin. Both methods would tell you if joy riding took place but neither would prevent it. The guy who did it in this case clearly knew he shouldn't have done it.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know it doesn't do you any good after the incident, but you can make a valet Smart Card for the VEC2 that would set the rev limiter at whatever RPM you desire (say maybe 2,500). Could definitely help prevent a situation like that from happening to someone else.

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, That's a great idea. You can be sure that my next Viper will have the valet card. I'm thinking maybe 2000 rpm. :2tu: :usa:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My worse nightmare.Someone including me totaling the car.I got an appraisal done for $120.Listed all mods color condition rarity of color etc.Appraised for $75,000.Done by James Sandoro.Founder of the Buffalo car museum(Pierce arrow etc).Address,phone etc can be found in Hemmings.He is an expert wittness in cases like this and travels around the country.East,West,North,South.Of course you pay.I handed in pics and my appraisal to my State Farm agent when I renewed the premium and they accepted it.SECOND.I stay with the caar when its at the dealers. Bruce

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to start thanking some people for advice and assistance in dealing with this situation. JonB for advice and assistance with invoices, Wendy Macedo for research and assistance, Kingman Hitz and Keith Vergas for advice, and Mike Anderson and Bill Pemberton for vehicle valuations. If I forgot anyone I apologize in advance. I just heard from the State Farm claims rep and so far it looks ok. Scott at Vipers by Elite, please give me a call.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read every post, but I remember my dealer telling me that if the car is damaged in their possession, it's your insurance that pays. As for joy-rides, that's a different story. I nail him.

AC

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy $hit!! I can't imagine what I'd do if this happened to me, but I'd probably run out of ammo. Best of luck in your quest for justice. :(

Rapid pulse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOOOO sorry man, You had a gorgeous car... Get a LAWYER! do not even speak to the shop, let you lawyer do the talking

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another reason for using Archer at a ViperDays event for any and all of my service / maintenance needs!

I feel your pain, just looking at thise pics make me nauseated.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happen with this? Did Shelby get his money?

Just settled with my insurance company today. Big learning experience, pain in the ***, but I think I came out ok. Didn't buy my car back, they wanted too much for it and I would have lost the tax on the balance. Thanks to John Holmes,(no not that one) for doing my appraisal. I'll fill in more details and thank others who have given great advise and assistance after I pick up the check tomorrow. :smirk: :usa: