Wanted to buy a spare key for the car.. not to be robbed!!

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I went to my Chrysler/Dodge auto dealer to buy myself a spare key + remote for my GTS, just in case I would break or loose the only one i got. They told me that if I wanted the key with the Viper head it would cost me 175 CAD for the key alone. A standard Chrysler key that also fits the Viper cost 15 CAD, so that was my choice.. What a ripoff!! I cannot understand why it cost that much? Of course it looks cool with the Viper head.. but 160 CAD difference? Give me a break!!

The remote cost 95 CAD which isn't even a Viper remote, but one that can be used for the Viper. That is still fairly expensive.. I will not even guess how much an original Viper remote will cost!!

So I bought the standard key + remote for a total of 130 CAD including coding of the remote. Was that stupid or could I have done a better deal somewhere else?

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Falconeer,
I feel your pain. I almost did the same thing that you just did but someone told me to check ebay. I did get it way cheap than what the dealer will charged you. Since then I checked ebay whenever I need something.

You only live once, Own a viper... :2tu: :2tu:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealers down here charge about $75 US for the viper key. The plain key they just handed to me. The remote is around $45 US. Try ebay for very good copies of the VIPER key for around $25 US.

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dang, sounds like they tried to rob you.I bought my 2nd key(exact copy of original)off of ebay for $25US and it cost $1 for a total of 26 US ,and you can buy the remote from ebay also for around 20. Then you just have to have someone program it for you.

NguyenJ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a spare red viper logo uncut key for sale if you want. $25 plus actual shipping cost. I bought 2 on ebay for $55 shipped. Only needed one.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just dont let the dealership program your remote..i figured i'd have them do it while my csr was in for the 998 recall.........they charged me $70!!!!!!!!!!.......to program a remote that takes 5 minutes to do!! RIP-OFF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960