Weird "cruise control"

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the viper out for the first time in a few weeks, and the first time I got in it, the RPMs didn't want to come down below 3000. And in any gear it would drive itself with no pedal input! Didn't know I had cruise control:omg:

Tried braking it down in gear, and as soon as I let off it would go back up. So I shut the car off, tuned the key to ON, and pushed the gas down 3-4 times and started it back up. It seemed fine for awhile and did it again a little while later, but went away on its own.

Mods: Heads/Cam/Headers/Rockers/70MM TBs/Vec2

Any ideas?

Steve

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try resetting your PCM. Has your PCM been modified to work with your cam? I experienced bad idle hang after having a cam installed. Having the PCM reflahed got rid of the idle hang. You may also have a bad IAC motor.

I have also heard of people having similar problems when 70 mm TB's are installed. Has the intake been ported or extrude honed? Have the throttle body openings on the intake manifold been opened up to match the larger TB's?

DougM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could it be your floormat causing it? I know it sounds stupid, but it happened to me with an old Ferrari years ago.

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem with my 70mm TBs....

One of the idle set screws wasnt loctited and backed out, causing the idle to hang around 3000 RPMs....

You could try to check that.

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I cleaned the IAC when I did the throttle bodies.

The PCM is a Roe PCM.

No floor mat on the drivers side.

The intake hasn't been touched.

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went back and forth with Chuck Tator today. We ruled out the IAC and TPS. The drivers side blade wasn't closing all the way by itself. It would go 95% shut, then kind of stay open...then close after a few seconds. So with the help of Chuck, the problem was in the linkage. Now it works great!!!!

THANKS CHUCK TATOR!!!!!!!!!