Went in for a free car wash and came out with a totalled Viper!

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my car to a local oil change shop today, had the oil changed and got a free carwash with it. I told them I wanted it hand washed around back and didn't want it to go through the machine. I told them I'd be willing to pay the difference. So I go inside and a few minutes later a young guy gets in my car and starts it up. He squeels the tires and turns into the machine wash area. Next thing I know I hear a loud crash and screaming. I go back outside around the corner and I see the back hatch window on my GTS is completely shatterred, the airbags are deployed and the front end of the car is trashed from hitting a truck already in the carwash. Supposedly the guy says he got the brake and the accelerator mixed up. The car wash is going to take full responsibility but I am sick about it. Ive had the car for 2 months and just got the wheels, tires, exhaust etc done. Obvioulsy, I want this thing to be totalled. You guys got any input or advice? Thanks

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how I would react.
Call your lawyer!
Did you get any pictures?

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These nightmares seem to be happening more and more. I cannot imagine. I am sorry this happened.

First thing is first... contact your lawyer as Casey stated. DO NOT rely on their "word" ... oh yeah we will take care of it.

Get some legal help and good luck.

Try to have a Merry Christmas despite this as well.

Jason

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant emphasize this enough,

NEVER EVER let anyone drive cars like this, no valet, no mechanic, etc, etc...

Sorry to hear about your car, you need to get a hold of some legal advice right away. The car wash will want YOUR insurance to pay for the car, and their insurance to cover what yours wont.

Dont leave it up to them to screw you, get a viper rental for as long as you do not have another car paid for by them, that should be a nice lesson at $500.00 a day.

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely won't let anyone drive my car like this again. The car wash owner has already called his insurance company and filed a claim. I have the claim number and the nice thing is I have the same insurance company. I have already spoken to someone at (Allied Insurance) and he was able to look up the claim number and verify that the car wash owner is claiming full responsibility. Do you guys think I still need a lawyer? I did get pictures but haven't figured out how to post them on here yet.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, my first job at 16 was working at turtle wax car wash and a kid floored a jeep coming out of the car wash to show off and the accelorator stuck and he freaked out and jumped out of the car and the car went bye bye into a cornfield and hit a street pole about a half mile away. Not cool

Id never let anyone drive a viper. The pedal position is weird compared to a normal car and I can see how a youngster can do that. Im sorry for your loss but Im sure it will be taken care of! Good luck and happy holidays!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't take my car to a car wash if it was free and they were giving away hundred dollar bills.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mistake # 1, shame on them. Mistake # 2, shame on you. Don't make mistake # 2. :) Merry Christmas.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wont total it. They will repair it and you will have a repaired/repainted Viper that many people will not buy when your ready to sell. That is a stigma on your vehicle from now on and you will get screwed on resale value when you sell it. Ask anyone on this board if they will buy a damaged/repainted Viper...Some may if the price is right, others would not buy it period like me. I would rather pay an extra 10K for an unscathed vehicle...Very sorry that happened to you...AL :( :( :bonker:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id never let anyone drive a viper. The pedal position is weird compared to a normal car and I can see how a youngster can do that. Im sorry for your loss but Im sure it will be taken care of! Good luck and happy holidays!

Thats what I was thinking. The pedals in the Viper are offset so I really believe his story. It still ***** that it happened though, especially right here at Christmas :(

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pedal position is weird compared to a normal car and I can see how a youngster can do that.

This is VERY true. To someone not familiar, they can lay on the gas when going for the brake pedal. Very, very few people drive mine without me in it....these folks have Viper experience. Anyone else I sit in the passenger seat ready to give instruction with my hand right beside the e-brake.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My big concern is the book value of a Viper. Have you ever looked up the value of your Viper on KBB…NADA…etc? They are off by 10k – 20k. You will need to argue with the insurance company to prove the real value.

Kurt looked up the value of his 2000 with 10k miles yesterday. Book says in Excellent shape = $30,000. I don’t think so.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HORRIBLE....this is exactly why I am as anal as I am about the car....to avoid these types of situations....Tator/ROB are the only one other people than my self who drives my car. I just hope you get the right $$$ out of this, buy a new viper and never let any other losers drive your car.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys must have some small feet (or mine are huge) :shocked: . I worry drilling the brakes when going for the clutch, but the righty takes up everything on that side.

I would be most worried if you both have the same insurance. How do you play hardball if they are on your side too?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't take my car to a car wash if it was free and they were giving away hundred dollar bills.

AND, this goes for those "charity" washes too. i tried one of those a few years back thinking i was doing a "good deed" by letting them wash my car.

WRONG.

those idiots had dropped those wash mits in that parking lot probably all day, and i had scratches ALL OVER my car when i got it home. (THANK GOD - NOT THE VIPER BTW)

:evilmad:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never take my car to a car wash, I dont care if it was ******* girls, or super models. I enjoy washing my viper

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon me for be so blunt but you have to be half and idiot to take a fine auto through a automated car wash or for that matter let anyone behind the wheel of a viper unless they are qualified to do so...Next time get your oil change and take her home and wash her yourself using clean soft washmits and micro fiber towels to dry her..

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon me for be so blunt but you have to be half and idiot to take a fine auto through a automated car wash or for that matter let anyone behind the wheel of a viper unless they are qualified to do so...Next time get your oil change and take her home and wash her yourself using clean soft washmits and micro fiber towels to dry her..

actually he was paying extra for a *******, that is why the attendant took it out back and crashed it. If he had just done the automated he still might have his car today

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get it fixed and you will be fine. My Viper has hit several years ago and I got it fixed, better than new. They took out all the factory orange peel on the doors and put on a new hood and front facia. Also got new tires and refinished all the wheels. They gave me back the damaged parts and I sold them for about 5000$. Mine fortunately was only body damage. Yes, the resale value will probably be down a bit but I can't imagine ever selling my Viper.If I had put the 5000$ in Apple stock I would have been way ahead but of course I spent it on goodies for the car!

I wouldn't ever let anyone I didn't know well drive the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten