Went in for a free car wash and came out with a totalled Viper!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never take my car to a car wash, I dont care if it was ******* girls, or super models. I enjoy washing my viper

Even I havent done the ******* girl carwash thing :eek: I did let them wash my Eclipse back before I bought the Viper and I'm not even sure they used soap...they just wet it and said done :buttkick:

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as far a value what yr is the car, mileage, ect. i work for wachovia, and we show the loan value on my 2000 rt/10 with 33k miles at about 54k. if you need me to pull loan value for you let me know. our values seem pretty fair in my eyes.

ryan

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i wouldnt be that ******* the guy. he stated he wasnt going to allow them to run it through the machine wash and was paying the difference to get it handwashed. if you been to a jiffy lube or similiar place to get your oil changed you know they never allow you to pull your own car over the pit or pull it out of the bay when exiting. if the guy wasnt comfortable driving the car then he should have stayed out of it. I have had people at shops resposible eough to tell me that they wouldnt dare get behind the wheel of my car and I respected them for that. unfortunatly you have people fully aware they cant hadle the car but because many view it as an opportunity that comes very rarely or never as a chance to fulfill a dream.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think I still need a lawyer?

Absolutely. Having a decent lawyer up-front will allow you more
leeway in the future settlement. Best case senerio is that the
car wash treats you right and the insurance pays what's do - then
you can simply pay the lawyer and say no further action is needed.
If the car wash tries to wiggle out or (much more likly) the
insurance decides your used car is only worth half of book value
that lawyer will be a blessing to have on payroll from the very
begininng.

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words and offers to help with the value of the car. I will let you guys know. How do I post pictures on here? I managed to post some of the car in my member gallery but don't see how to post here. (It must be because I'm a half idiot as suggested)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt be that ******* the guy. he stated he wasnt going to allow them to run it through the machine wash and was paying the difference to get it handwashed. if you been to a jiffy lube or similiar place to get your oil changed you know they never allow you to pull your own car over the pit or pull it out of the bay when exiting. if the guy wasnt comfortable driving the car then he should have stayed out of it. I have had people at shops resposible eough to tell me that they wouldnt dare get behind the wheel of my car and I respected them for that. unfortunatly you have people fully aware they cant hadle the car but because many view it as an opportunity that comes very rarely or never as a chance to fulfill a dream.

All quick lubes around here have the owner drive the car in and out of the bay.
Vipers won't fit through an automatic wash.
Nobody has ever washed our car but us
The pedals can be a problem--all the more reason to not let a 'lube kid' drive your car.
My wife drives our car -- whenever she wants
My son (23) has driven the car 3 times in 6 years -- with me in it. OK, we let him take it to the prom where we picked it up after he made his entrance ;)
My step son (38) has driven the car -- once -- in 2000
My twin brother -- 3 times -- while on a trip and open road...and he messed up one time with the pedals at 65 trying to downshift to 3rd for some spirited drivng experience.......hit the brake instead of the clutch and locked up all 4 tires for a second...pretty scary when you expect the opposite to be happening.
Ron, the Viper Tech, at DSD in Plymouth, MI --2 times into the garage for steering gear recall and coolant change.

That's it -- nobody else has driven our car in it's 64,000 mile life to date.

I sympathize with your situation and wish you the best, but your story further cements my position on who drives the car. Good luck with getting an equitable settlement. The point made above about KBB book value, and actual selling price, is a very good one. I think I'll assign a value next spring and pay a little extra to cover the spread.

Steve

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words and offers to help with the value of the car. I will let you guys know. How do I post pictures on here? I managed to post some of the car in my member gallery but don't see how to post here. (It must be because I'm a half idiot as suggested)

Do you have any pictures of the car after the carnage? Get a lawyer, the insurance company will try to screw you.

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
The airbags work!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want that lawyer because your car hit someone else's truck. The truck people will normally go after the insurance of the vehicle that struck them.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he hit something with the front.......what the heck happened to the back glass?

Although the carwash guy may want to make everything alright, HIS insurance company wants to give YOU the open cheek special. That's why YOU should get an attorney.

If you need diminished value documentation (due to the fact that your car now has the stigma of being crashed, and could affect future value / sale), contact Jon B at PartsRack. He has helped many folks that have been in your shoes from getting royally fu&ked by the insurance company.

Good luck and keep us posted

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the pics dont look that bad. (not downplaying the situation at all)

i am seeing replacing a rear window and a nose job. is the car a "total" loss because the airbags went off?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! That really *****.

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't feel that is a car total. That viper will be repaired and back out on the street.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, let me check my crystal ball for a 2007 prediction...

The clouds are swirling..........swirling........getting clearer now......

Somethings coming into view-

Ah, there it is!

Your Viper gets fixed better than new, and you drive her happily down the road....

Wait, there's more.....Whats that?.....Ah, its says-

You will never let anyone else drive your Viper again!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he hit something with the front.......what the heck happened to the back glass?

When I 1st read this thread, I thought maybe he hit the truck so hard it blew out the back glass. After looking at the photos, that seems highly unlikely. So what did cause the back glass to break?

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The force of the airbags deploying could have done it. I totalled my 1996 B/W viper 4 years ago and the rear glass exploded (and dangled 40 feet up in a tree). Of course I was going in excess of 100MPH and hit head on so it's a totally different situation. The airbags deployed (late, IE: after I hit the stearing wheel) and the rear glass exploded.

D

dano

Re: Went in for a free car wash and came out with a totalled Viper! *DELETED*

Post deleted by dano

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many of these people that are totally bashing this guy will have something bad happen to them out of karma here in the next few days or weeks.

Bottom line is we all have done stupid things. This will certainly be a lesson learned. I was lucky that I learned my hard lesson in my 2000 Camaro... and not my dream of the Viper.

I wish you good luck on getting the Viper fixed and still strongly suggest contacting your lawyer.

A few dollars well spent to insure things go your way.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Jason
viprvenm

D

dano

Post deleted by dano

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's what you get for being a lazy dumba$$.

Man, nothing like kicking a guy when he's down.

I recently came back to this site after a seven year absence because I'm in the market for another Viper. I've been spending a lot of time reading the forums trying to catching up what's new and I've run across many posts like this. Has the VCA sunk to the level where these kinds of degrading, sarcastic responses are accepted? I must say I'm a little disappointed. I would expect better from Viper owners.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Lesson learned"?? Hmmm...should I toss my keys to some kid at a car wash?...hmmm....

Ladies & Gentleman... Introducing the ONE & ONLY in the WORLD... The Perfect Human... dano! Crowd goes..... yeah right.

Sorry ... had to. Just trying to give the guy a break. He admitted it and just wanted people's advice.

What happened already happened... he will learn from the mistake as we all do.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "complexion" here has changed........as it has on a lot of boards....not quite the Alley.....it's the "new" breed......you notice any difference in sports too?...........

Has the VCA sunk to the level where these kinds of degrading, sarcastic responses are accepted?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's sad when people are mad about the people making comments about somebody doing something so idiotic and not the person that did it. he gives his keys to some kid to a car probably with his modifications to have 460 to 480 hp. and low and behold the kid wrecks it. then the guy wants his viper totalled because of his own stupidity. i love these cars and the last thing i want to see is another one totalled. he buys and exotic high horsepower car and doesn't even have enough ambition to wash it? then he posts on here to get advice so he doesn't get screwed in the deal?

D

dano

Post deleted by dano

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear your news man. What a crappy Christmas gift!

But, as stated above what the f&$# are you doing taking a Viper through the local car wash? I guess you don't consider your car your baby like the most of us on this site and nobody washes my kid, but me (or my wife).

Your insurance will try and screw you for the KBB value of your Viper which will be 10-20K below what they go for. The insurance company wants to lose as little money as possible which is why you want to pay for an attorney to fight for you against your own insurance company, not the car wash.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21