Went in for a free car wash and came out with a totalled Viper!

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are unbelievable. I will admit that in hindsight I should have not allowed anyone to drive the car. I also do expect the people that are running a business where they are driving different kinds of cars all day to let me know if they are not comfortable with the situation. I used to run errands for a company when I was 18 and the owners of the company regularly let me drive their Porsche's, Corvettes and even a Pantera. No, I didn't wreck a single one. Maybe it's not the best idea to let someone drive your car but you guys make it sound like I should have to pay for this myself because of my stupidity. I will say that having just sold a really nice 05 Supercharged Mustang that the Mustang forums were a lot more pleasant. I can definitely take the constructive criticism about not letting someone drive the Viper but the name calling and derogatory comments are pretty immature. Just so you know, This is the first time I have not washed the car myself. I happened to be running out of time and had family coming over and I wanted the car to look nice and got the oil changed at the same time. I'll go to confession in the morning.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's sad when people are mad about the people making comments about somebody doing something so idiotic... then the guy wants his viper totalled because of his own stupidity... He buys and exotic high horsepower car and doesn't even have enough ambition to wash it? then he posts on here to get advice so he doesn't get screwed in the deal?

We have seen many similar stories posted before. One could easily reasonably believe that anyone with a driver's license and the abililty to drive a car with a manual transmission could drive Viper a few feet without crashing into the back of a truck, but sadly this is not the case. Posts like this will potentially prevent similar future episodes.

That being said, there are those who relish in accusing other owners of being stupid, lazy, and worthless. The sad part is that if anything untoward ever happens to whitebluevipe or dano and their cars, we probably will never hear about it.

DrDJ

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you guys know the back window got broken when the back tires hit the automated track causing the back of the car to fly up in the air and slam back down. The pictures probably don't look that bad but the hood got pushed into the doors bending and cracking it and the doors about an inch back. The passenger door doesn't open at all and the drivers window won't go down. Airbags don't deploy unless your'e going close to 30 MPH so I imagine there is some internal damge from that kind of impact as well.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. As a new viper owner myself, I could easily see how you could let this happen, not realizing the very possible consequences. Your unfortunate experience is a lesson for all of us new viper owners. For those who would critisize, I would say that they must be superior to the rest of us, for they must have never had a lapse in judgment, a single solitary moment of trusting the ability of others. Not once have they done something that in hindsight was clearly not the best move.

For the rest of us, we, unfortunately have these instances. They are instances we would love to avoid and would do anything to undo, but the simple realistic fact is that we cannot undo them and just need to learn so as to avoid it again. All you wanted was the car clean and ran out of time. Anyone could do it.

I hope things work out for the best. Don't beat yourself up too much. The simple fact is that everyone posting here has done something that they would regret, they just don't seem to have the ability to remember. :crazy:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He squeels the tires and turns into the machine wash area. Next thing I know I hear a loud crash and screaming.
This car is not for valets, (inexperienced) mechanics, brothers, friends, (inexperienced) spouses, kids, etc. Doing so is asking for it to be totalled. Now you know. There have been so many accidents by those above, it's amusing that no one is listening.

Sorry for your loss. I hope it's totalled.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE: "Airbags don't deploy unless your'e going close to 30 MPH so I imagine there is some internal damge from that kind of impact as well."

Actually, airbags deploy depending on a change in speed. A 12 mph speed change within a short time period (crash) can deploy the bags. It's not based on how fast the vehicle was traveling at the time.

Just my .02. Good luck with the claim.

~Craig

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your misfortune. Horrible thing to happen at X-Mas. I was devastated when I hit a mailbox after a mis-shift but in the end all was made almost as good as new. Best of luck on getting back on the road asap!

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I really do appreciate it. I am going to call a lawyer. I have Prepaid legal so I can actually get legal help at no cost. I'd at least like to know what my rights are. Maybe I can get a few free car washes out of it.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I really do appreciate it. I am going to call a lawyer. I have Prepaid legal so I can actually get legal help at no cost. I'd at least like to know what my rights are. Maybe I can get a few free car washes out of it.

Make that a lifetime of free car washes considering the damages.
It does not look like a total to me at all, if it's possible I'd absolutely try to get it repaired depending on how badly the back part of the hood and the door hinges are damaged. Got any pics of that area?
For parts and assesments I would call Chuck Tator as well, he's one of the people in the Viper community who definately knows his stuff and can help you out :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dom.....dano doesn't even have a Viper (still says Enthusiast under his name).....so we can ALL take his 2 cents for facce value minus 99.98%. :)

Tony: Dyeguy also says "Enthusiast" under HIS name..... the profile system on this site is woefully inadequate. Too little info, too much anonymity.

Those above saying "NO TOTAL" could well be wrong. Did I miss the year? Not in profile. No where does it say the YEAR. THE YEAR MATTERS. This appears to be a 1997 w/ aftermarket silver stripes? A 1997 could indeed be a TOTAL, whereas a 2001-2002 might not. And, depending on the STATE it is located, this car might indeed be a mandated total. Hint: Airbag Deployment.

1) IS YOUR INSURANCE CO. THE SAME AS THE CAR-WASH's ? (unlikley coincidence?)
2) The CW Operator will be 'responsible' til he sees the estimate.
3) CWs are notorious for posting "your risk" signs everywhere. LAWYER could be needed AFTER U see how 'responsible' the CW proves to be....or not to be.
4) What does YOUR insurance say? Best to call me. I can help you craft a simple strategy to GET THIS CAR TOTALLED, or at least PUT SOME D.V.in your pocket.
5) LESSON TO ALL: This is about the eleven-teenth example of this same mistake. DONT LET ANYONE UN-PROVEN DRIVE YOUR CAR, OR EVEN START YOUR CAR.

I can tell you another eleven-teen 'clutch slipped' stories on startup, where the left-canted pedals contributed to valets, sons, girlfriends, daughters, bankers, etc smack these cars. I bought one donor that drove thru a BANK WALL in GA, when the bank-loan-lady started it and revved it to 'hear the motor'...foot slipped off the clutch....the next thing she heard was BRICKS coming down on the RED AND SILVER Viper.

Good Luck JonB

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, I will definitely give you a call in the morning and thanks for the offer to help. That is greatly appreciated. Yes, it is a 97 and I live in Arizona. The car wash does have the same insurance company as I do(Allied). I have already verified the claim number with a representative from Allied. The car wash owner had already called and told them about the accident and his version was the same as mine so it seems like he is taking responsibility for it.I guess I don't understand why the total price would make a difference to the car wash owner-isn't it between myself and the insurance company at this point?
Here are some more pics of the damage to the hood and doors.

You must be registered for see images attach

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry anyone has to go through this. I can relate, my SRT10 was totalled last month (by the dealer) and everything turned out fine. My case was different though because it was a lease and it was obviously totalled.

Not sure if you should go in with a lawyer. Wait and see what they come back to you with. The offer may be just fine. If it's not, then consult an attorney (before signing anything or cashing any checks), but you should prepare yourself. Decide now what you really think you should get out of this situation. As long as your calm and realistic, it should work out ok.

Part of the difficulty of having someone do this to your car is that it makes you feel alone in the situation. This site was instrumental in helping me get through it.

Most of the people here are very cool. The ones that aren't, exist everywhere in life... just step over them.

Good luck.

Mike

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B. helped me w/ my ACR when I totalled it. Although I really miss it I am now playin w/ a 1900 mile FE Daytona 24 Viper.

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike and Walker. I appreciate the kind words. I talked to Jon B. this morning. I'm actually going to make another post about it because I do want to let everyone know what a great help he is.

Just A Dream

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to go with the boyz here,you let some ******** car wash attendant take your car around back? what were you thinkin
Note to self wash your own car ya lazy bastard

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was really surprised when I read that you even considered letting the attendant "hand scratch" the car. Do you know the garbage washing accessories and soap they use in those places? You would have had a super swirl finish...something else to consider next time.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you know, don't depend on "Pre-Paid Legal" to do anything for you other than write a letter.........maybe. I was with them for a couple of years, and when I needed them, they came up with all kinds of excuses as to why they could not take my case. Might want to look at retaining a reputable lawyer if it looks like the insurance company is being unreasonable.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you know, don't depend on "Pre-Paid Legal" to do anything for you other than write a letter.........maybe. I was with them for a couple of years, and when I needed them, they came up with all kinds of excuses as to why they could not take my case. Might want to look at retaining a reputable lawyer if it looks like the insurance company is being unreasonable.

Lol... You mean to tell me that Prepaid Legal didn't have you a Lawyer ready and waiting for your $40 a month??!!! :)

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some legal experience & still took Jon B's advice & counsel. @ the very least just knowing he was in my corner helped.

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Agreed. PPL is a joke. You're going to need to present a depreciation (diminished value) claim in addition to the repairs. The carrier is not going to want to pay DV and that is why you will ultimately need a lawyer. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm sure you are probably right about Prepaid Legal. The shop is supposed to have the estimate done by Friday. (Kind of took forever because of the holidays) Then we're going to sit down and see what the best strategy would be before we have the insurance adjuster come back out. Don't want to say too much about it right now til the thing is over but Bill Pemberton from Woodhouse Dodge has contacted me and written a letter to help out with the DV and Jon from Partsrack is doing the same thing. Those guys are awesome.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the back window blowing out is a big deal here. That did NOT happen from the air bags deploying. Remember those vents on the side of the trunk? Besides, your eardrums would burst before the rear hatch glass.

And what do you mean "the rear tires hit the automated track" and bounced the back of the car up? This was the handwash, right?

I think the back glass shattered due to some serious body flex. Get that thing on a frame machine asap. It might be totalled yet when all is said and done.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local carwash here use to have and advertised a "hand wash".
There were "hand washers" inside the very beginning or "wash" section of the carwash facility. The track still pulled / pushed the car through to the next stages like rince, wax blow dry etc

And what do you mean "the rear tires hit the automated track" and bounced the back of the car up? This was the handwash, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21