What causes your exhuast to pop and burbble on deceleration?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like the way it sounds but I heard it does that due to a leak in the exhaust? I kind of wondering if one of my exhaust band straps are loose.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that's exactly correct. My dad had a good size leak in my present car a few years back, and it didn't pop or burble (although only a 1.6 4 cyl).

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was the exhaust straps, I'd loosen all of mine. On my Roe car, the VEC 2 can shut off the injectors during deceleration to minimize the pops. That's an option I have declined. I have yet to hear a Viper that I thought was too loud.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually happens more without cats. This is from unburned fuel "exploding" in the exhaust rather than being consumed durring the combustion process. This unburned fuel is what the cats burn off in an unmodified exhaust. This is also what causes the cats and side sills to become so hot, and why the sill feel so much cooler without the cats.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had thought it had something to do with the fuel. Mine does it quite a bit but it's not a back firing noise...I love it!

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's to much fuel. Mine did not do this with the f-up paxton fuel system. It now does it with the vec II though. My car also loads up a little now. But Right now I would rather have this car run rich then lean.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its cold air being sucked back into the motor through the exhaust. all cars do it with out cats or mufflers.

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s the sound of MUSCLE. I love that sound. I wish it was louder. Mine does the same, and I have no leaks. Now I just need some headers to make it even deeper.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the less restrictive exhaust and less backpressure have anything to do with it? My Z-06 did it stock and with the Borla cat-back, as did the Viper with the Corsa (but not stock)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has gotten noticeably more of them (pops and burbles) and louder since I put the cat back exhaust on

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are close... It's actually a slow leak in the flutz capacitor just below the knute valve modulator. It will not hurt anything. If you add a bit of ****** synthetic 40w oil to the tip of the capacitor below the fractator input it will improve not only the sound but the timing and fuel usage.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are close... It's actually a slow leak in the flutz capacitor just below the knute valve modulator. It will not hurt anything. If you add a bit of ****** synthetic 40w oil to the tip of the capacitor below the fractator input it will improve not only the sound but the timing and fuel usage.

I thought so too at first, but the B&B catbacks come with bigger flutz capacitors and were pre oiled. :2tu:

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but the socks should be made out of fiberglass for best performance

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you do a dyno pull on a Viper and leat the dyno continue to sample on deceleration, you'll see that the A/F ratio goes super rich at more than 10:1 (that's as rich as the meter reads) for quite a while.
When you get off the gas, the injectors stay on.
If someone with a VEC2 wants to turn them off, go to the Fuel Load page and set the deepest vacuum cells (active during hard decel) to negative 4-6ms, which will turn the injectors down (must be software S106). We did all the testing on the dyno and were able to easily see the difference on the graph (as well as hear it).

Regards,
Sean

Dash Riprock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jerry & Pa Viper it is flux capacitor. When giving information as important as this the spelling must be right. How would it look if ab went to the local autozone and asked for a flutz capacitor? They might think he didn't know what he was talking about. :2tu:

Dash
2004 SRT10

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine does it at about 4-4500 rpms when i let off and are really lound as one other viper owner said "like a series of gunshots" it doesnt do it all the time though only when its cooler out. is this normal?