What clutch to buy?

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01GTS pushing around 540hp at the rear, my car is at 64000kms and the clutch went. I was wondering what is the best one to buy so that I can still drive it everyday, and race with it. Later on down the road I wanna add more power to the car so I dont want to have to upgrade it again. So when Im changing the clutch, what would be a good flywheel to get also, and any other parts while the clutch is getting done?

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm a big advocate for the SPEC 3+ clutch....Really doesn't get much better than that for a single disc setup. The full face disc has a nice engagement compared to a six puck and you won't have to worry about those pesky springs popping out of the hub of the friction disc.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go stock as per chuck tator.

mine is pushing a lot more than that with a stock clutch and never a problem

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have an 01GTS pushing around 540hp at the rear, my car is at 64000kms and the clutch went. I was wondering what is the best one to buy so that I can still drive it everyday, and race with it. Later on down the road I wanna add more power to the car so I dont want to have to upgrade it again. So when Im changing the clutch, what would be a good flywheel to get also, and any other parts while the clutch is getting done?

3 answers.........

SPEC Stage 2+ would be OK for you NOW....rated at 900 lb-ft.. but you can truly POUND on the S-3 rated at 1100 for future. S3+ requires a short period of break-in. [Great photo-link above from 2000-Black, Thanks.]

Dietz, you also asked about a flywheel. EXCELLENT time to change it out, free labor! Alum weighs 1.75 lbs lighter than Chromoly, but wont take the beating and abuse (drags) a Chromoly steel will. And the Chromoly saves you almost $80 under Alum and 19 lbs under OEM.

A 'weak link' as the car is 10 years old is the hydraulic slave unit....definitely worth considering a precautionary change, it wont likley last 100k miles

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Once broken in (1+ hour mixed drives?) S3+ is fine. Very streetable, non-chattery after break-in. Others here who use it daily might please chime-in? A very famous NASCAR driver customer swapped it into his hard-dragging, hard driven Viper...he and his crew chief swear by it!

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock here and more power then u and it's fine. I like have that weak link to give as oppose to trans or diff. I've heard good things about the spec 2 as others have mentioned.
I also don't drag race, just highway pulls.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spec twin disk

Much lighter rotating mass and easy to drive on street, while having the ability to hold much more power.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
How is the spec3 for daily driving?

It is hands down the most streetable and most capable single disc clutch on the market. I've had them in two prior daily drivers and their engagement is fantastic once broke in....little harsh for the first few hundred miles, but nothing crazy. No chatter...no on/off engagement...very VERY strong for the money. My neighbor slipped his spec 3+ in his 700+ whp turbo camaro a little too long and by the end of his run it built up enough heat to bond the sinistered iron side of the friction disc to the flywheel. Actually had to hook a truck to his front tow hook and broke the friction disc loose from the flywheel with a quick tug...ran the same clutch until he parted the car with no issues. They're that strong.

OP
OP
D

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tryed this clutch before? Its from ROE looking for opinions on it

McLeod Twin Disc Clutch w/ Flywheel / 1500 Ft. Lbs of Torque Rated, 92-06 Viper

McLeod recognized the need for a clutch assembly that was street friendly, yet still capable of handeling up to 1,500 ft. lbs of Torque, thus the Street Twin was born! This series of McLeod clutch kit is intended for high horsepower street enthusiast

Would this be a good one to buy, or is Spec Clutches better?

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
If you're shooting for anything above 900whp then you may want to go twin....if not, then stick with a single disc.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another for the Spec 3+, I have it in mine, after the first couple of pulls on the bottle the stock piece started to slip (to be expected). Since then I swapped to a Spec3+ and chromoly flywheel, no issues while I had the bottle (723rwhp, 879rwtq). Now on the turbos with the same clutch, should be finished tuning today, and I don't foresee any issues.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Center Force Clutch - New....At Tators if your interested.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I just had a bad experience with Speed Solutions Int'l (AKA Gripforce clutches). I certainly wouldn't go that route again. Be sure and check their Better Business Bureau rating before spending the $$$

I've used the chromoly 1-piece flywheels and have had great luck with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960