What color should I paint or powder my GTS wheels?

ViperLogic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is nothing new, but I truly cannot decide what color to paint or powder my stock 17's. I honestly do not care much for the wheels and hopefully will upgrade next year (wife willing). My GTS is silver no stripes and I was thinking matte black, gun metal or maybe semi-gloss black. :dunno: Should I do the fuel door to match?
You must be registered for see images attach

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think Chrome wheels are the best on silver Vipers, unless you go with a deep-dish that has black center/chrome lip. But stock wheels...I'd leave 'em.

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrome them or nothing at all....However, If you go aftermarket I would then suggest black centers w/ chrome lips.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy. SILVER! Note that I did the gas cap to match and also painted my fog covers after I decided to ditch the fogs and kept the covers as opposed to trying to fill the fog cover slots.

You must be registered for see images

Don't anyone freak out. I started with a gas cap that had failed/frosty clear coat, rims that also had clear coat and edge issues, And beat to heck fog covers so I did not ruin perfect shiney stuff.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey PhoenixGTS. are those painted or powdercoated? How are they holding up? Of course where you live, you probably don't have to deal with gravel on the roads after the winter is over :D

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey PhoenixGTS. are those painted or powdercoated? How are they holding up? Of course where you live, you probably don't have to deal with gravel on the roads after the winter is over :D
They are painted with wet paint. My powder coater talked me out of coating due to issues with bubbles coming out of casting. The edges of the rims scuff a little when the tires are installed, but all in all the paint has been fine (it is a low budget job done by a huge wheel refinisher in Tucson - my body shop guy wanted WAY too much to paint them). I still like the look. I never like shiney wheels on silver Vipers (but for some reason I don't mind the polished wheels on my sivler SRT-8 Jeep).

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely leave them as is. I think they look great. Better than the silver thats for sure.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it's tied to buying new rims, why waste money on the powdercoating. It is not cheap de-chrome the wheels first and then powdercoat them...
Save that and get new rims next year.
I personally like the chrome wheels.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave the stockers alone and go buy some aftermarket. Stock rims will become more valuable in the future and chroming or coating them will make them less desireable to collectors.

But that's easy for me to say because I like the polished stockers. :)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say Dave, I like your hood vents, and I think white wheels would look great with your car!

97 gts vettslayr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry but those white vents are the ugliest thing I've seen on a Viper! My Viper is red w/white stripes as well and if someone did that to my vents I would call my insurance company and report it as vandalism! I'm sure they would agree with me. But if he did paint the wheels white he could possibly have a fourth shade of white! (stripes, sticker, vents and then wheels)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but those white vents are the ugliest thing I've seen on a Viper! My Viper is red w/white stripes as well and if someone did that to my vents I would call my insurance company and report it as vandalism! I'm sure they would agree with me. But if he did paint the wheels white he could possibly have a fourth shade of white! (stripes, sticker, vents and then wheels)

Well, you missed the details regarding such. Yeah, I took the OE ones off and another set were carefully paint matched to the stripes.

I love it. You don't.

Now what?

Funny thing is, after the PPG paint camera produced the paint code it returned a code of a Hyundai number.

Double the rice, double the fun!

Like I care...

Got Lone Star?

97 gts vettslayr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dave, it doesn't matter what I or anybody likes about your car. It's what you like on your car that matters. I'm sure there are things I do that people don't like but like you said "who cares?". Rock on! I must say excellent taste on the red w/ white stripes!:devteeth:

OP
OP
V

ViperLogic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just cam across this! This what yours would look like, white vents and all!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Hcmo_Mow8&feature=related[/media]

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think white wheels would bring it all together. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic. White wheels rock!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang