What controls your idle on the viper?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know the IAC Valve is one anything else? I noticed if I come to a complete stop, my rpms drop a lot and almost stumbles, the lights flicker a bit and sometimes it recovers and sometimes it doesn't?

I remember hearing something to the fact that an old battery can make your car do funny things?

Thanks!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you ab, my does that sometimes. Did it tonite, almost like it wants to die when you stop, idle gets so low lights go dim.. Goes thru fits, then for months it's ok. Then again for a week or so will do that.. Then there's the hanging idle.. Damn V-10 bugs...

G

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does the same, sometimes. The posts I read were to adjust the little set screw on the TB and clean out the TB's so they snap shut.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On all year Vipers a weak battery can cause idle problems. The computer "forgets" were the base idle was when the battery voltage drops below 10 volts during engine cranking.

On Gen 1 cars:
1. Check the battery
2. Check the throttle body synch
3. Make sure the throttle blades are not carboned up.
4. Make sure the TPS and IAC are working properly.

On Gen 2 cars much of the same applys (except the throttle bodies are permanently synched).
1. Check the sensor grounds and connections on the wiring
harness behind the manifold. A bad connection will cause
a sticky idle.

Hope this helps,

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Jdawgs car, I just did heads/cam and it would die 50% of the time when coming to a stop.......as you were coasting down through about 8 mph it would die. If it made it to a dead stop it would not die. JH said to turn the throttle stop screws open a little more. I forget if we turned them 1/4 or 1/2 turn, but it fixed the problem. Try that...if it doesn't work, I think Sean Roe found that a restricted IAC inlet would help in some cases.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On Jdawgs car, I just did heads/cam and it would die 50% of the time when coming to a stop.......as you were coasting down through about 8 mph it would die. If it made it to a dead stop it would not die. JH said to turn the throttle stop screws open a little more. I forget if we turned them 1/4 or 1/2 turn, but it fixed the problem. Try that...if it doesn't work, I think Sean Roe found that a restricted IAC inlet would help in some cases.

Is there any negative sides to using your method Tony? It sounds simple to do but will it mess with something else or is it as simple as it sounds?

Thanks for all the advice people! I may have to check my battery too. I think it's about 4-5 years old.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tony,

Wouldn't the Idle air control valve compensate for the changes with the screw? So any adjustments would be adjusted thus bringing it back down to where it was before?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Wouldn't the Idle air control valve compensate for the changes with the screw? So any adjustments would be adjusted thus bringing it back down to where it was before?

Ab, It only takes less than one minute to do this and less than one minute to put it back.......so what's the hold up ? If you are dieing at a dead stop it may not help. If it is dieing as you are slowing to a stop, it may just work.....it worked for us. Obviously John Hennessee has done it before with success because he is the one that suggested it to me. How much does it cost to try ? $000.00

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tony,

Ab, It only takes less than one minute to do this and less than one minute to put it back.......so what's the hold up ? If you are dieing at a dead stop it may not help. If it is dieing as you are slowing to a stop, it may just work.....it worked for us. Obviously John Hennessee has done it before with success because he is the one that suggested it to me. How much does it cost to try ? $000.00

ha! Tony, you are correct. I am over analyzing here. (but it's cold out side! :D )

I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for your advice!

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 1999 Trans AM with Stage 2 heads and a very lopey cam. It exhibited similar problems. I drilled a small hole in the blade of the TB. This allowed a bit more air in without actually opening the TB. Problem solved.

Mark
:)

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a mechanic, but I was told to tighten down the intake manifold from time to time (Viper Wizard). My car sure did run a lot smoother after I did.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like mentioned above, clean thottle bodies, synchronize cables. If this does not solve the problem, turn the set screws on the throttle bodies 3/8 to 1/2 turn. I had to remove the throttle bodies to adjust mine. This solved my idle stumbling and low idle problem. :usa:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tip, before you turn those little set screws on the TB, mark them with a marker or paint stick. Put a little dot on the side, they are a total pain to tell how far they moved and marking them will get them exact.

Also, I think they are metric allen wrenches so have both types of sets ready so you don't strip the screw.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
nope...didn't work. The car would just rev too high and low. Maybe I have a bad O2? I went and got a new battery and that really didn't help either. But I drove my car for about 20 minutes on the highway and hoping the computer would relearn, but it still stalled everytime I can to a stop. Do I have to let the car idle for a while to help it relearn to idle?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry that didn't work.....how much of a turn did you give it ? Best way to let it learn idle coming down from rpm is to let it practice. Sitting still, rev it up and let it come down over and over. When did this start ? At s/c install ? Put the throttle bodies back to where they were and start restricting the opening to the IAC. I have seen one car with a big cam that we had to block the IAC and then adjust the throttle blades for idle.......could take a combo of IAC restiction and throttle blade adjustment. One way to restrict is to use a rubber cap and start with a small hole. Sean Roe also did this post for restriction for idle hang:

Hi Everyone,

As idle hang is always a topic among stock and modified Vipers, here's how we eliminated it on a car that had no reason for it other than PCM programming ('97 GTS). Get a piece of 3/4" round stock from the hardware store (metal, wood, plastic, etc..) and cut off a piece about 1/2" to 3/4" long. Drill a 21/64" hole in it. Put this "restrictor" in the idle air control hose that goes from your airbox to your idle air control motor, on the passesnger side of the engine. Experiment with a larger hole if the idle is too low with the A/C and lights on, but this worked perfect for us at sea level. It completely eliminating the idle hang that bugged the heck out of the car owner.
Hope that helps some people out.

Regards,
Sean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant