What does everyone do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am a commodity and equity futures speculator (i.e. trader). I was recently chosen to assist in trading a large private hedge fund out of St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. and leave next Thursday. Trading takes about 10-12 hours a week and does not require me to watch any computer screens or quotes intraday.
You must be registered for see images

***I have received a few e-mails asking me how I do what I do. Also, the question "Why did so many people lose money the last 18 months or so in the markets?" is commonly asked. To give you an idea of the difference between a speculator and an investor, speculators trade a financial vehicle either way, up or down. Investors obviously normally buy and hold. The last few years most people were speculating as the market was trending strongly up, then acted as investors as it turned down and they held on. A true speculator would've taken his or her signal to get out near the top and would've taken their profits off the table. As one poster mentioned, most speculators have been "short" (i.e. wanting it to go down) a lot of equities the past year and have done extremely well.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for the largest web hosting company in the world! We also happen to be the 2nd largest Internet Access provider in the world. Called Verio, which evidently means "no marketing", very few people outside of the Internet industry have heard of us. So all these web designers, software developers, and CIO's can contact me for high end co-location/dedicated servers or high speed bandwidth (DS3 and OC3) deals.

Perhaps you couldn't tell, but, I'm in sales and am the senior acct executive in the Midwest.

I'm also the webmaster for www.dodgeviperclub.com (gateway club).BTW, I'm not a designer, suggestions welcome

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bug IEATPETS about his spelling 24/7....in my free time I bug VENEMOUS about his grammar.....

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

Tell the truth, you are a used car sales man. Buy sell, buy more sell, buy lots more sell.

Hey congrats on your run at NJ, Heffners stuff works

See you Sat at the fest,
mark

v10venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a student at College, working a summer internship right now.
I don't own a viper yet but plan to own one within the decade. I will work as an Engineer for a while. Then work as a pilot to pay the bills and I want to work for a tuner, for fun, perhaps a Viper tuner for some real fun.

Jon

Speed is in your head

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Retired teacher (Special Education), retired oil field mechanic (Shell Offshore). Worked hard. Saved our money. Lived modestly...until we found out about Vipers!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed that there are ALOT of engineers poking around here. So I'll throw in a shameless plug of what I do for a living.
I buy and sell industrial machinery. Anything that cuts, grinds, bends , breaks metal. CNC Lathes, CNC machining centers, CNC mills, Boring mills, etc, etc. If your companies are ever looking for anything, please drop me a line! HEHEEHheheheh
www.mantamachinery.com

Gerald

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Own a small importing and manufacturing company in NJ. We do all those shower caddies--What you don't know what a shower caddy is? Huh? It is those stupid things your wives and girlfriends buy to hold shampoo bottles and other little things in the shower. Hey how about Bath pillows? OK so it is a semi unknown business to most Viper owners, but it has allowed me to get a new '01 Sapphire Blue viper that just ROCKS. Just don't tell my employees how much it is--then they would want profit sharing!!!

Bob

'01 Sapphire Blue
'98 VFR Honda

snakoil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I do for a living or to pay the bills? For living and having fun, I race an F5 in SCCA Club racing.

To pay the bills, I'm an architect and partner in a 130 person architectural and engineering firm, Baskervill & Son. We design telecommunications facilities, corporate HQ's, DC's and retail facilities all over the country. We are also doing some racetrack facilities design for International Speedway Corporation. Coolest part about that is the pit and garage passes we get for the races at the track.

I own a 93 RT/10, 14000 miles

http://www.baskervill.com

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own two grocery stores and are just now putting gas pumps in at both of them. My grandfather started the business 60 years ago. Not too bad, huh?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I can't believe I didn't add one of my long-winded replies to this thread way back when! Well, I'll keep it relatively short:

I have been in telecommunications all my life, with my dad having started one of the first interconnects in the US in 1962 (contributed to the Carterphone Decision in 1968, which was the "birth" of the competitive phone industry). Started as a "cable rat" working for my dad when I was 13 years old. Worked for Sprint (one of my dad's competitors) for almost ten years as Director of Sales.

I am currently in that same position for a company that provides wired and wireless broadband access to public spaces such as airports and hotels. Been with them for over two years. If you are traveling through DFW, San Jose, Austin-Bergstrom, or SeaTac, be sure to bring your laptop and a 802.11 wireless card (card is $99 at Best Buy) - you can sit anywhere in those terminals (restaurants, gates, bathrooms, or first 8-10 rows of the gated planes) and pull a connection to the Internet of between 2 and 11 Mbps. Makes this board FLY!

RTLittle - Loved your work. If you are available for any freelance and want some pretty nifty Viper graphics to play with, drop me an e-mail. We need to update our site (link below) and I would welcome any help!

Chris

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 23 minutes and 5 seconds of reading what everyone else does...here goes. I think I would consider myself an entrepreneur most of my life. I've owned a lawn care service, building management company and now an exotic car rental company. The 2 prior businesses were on the side during the time I was a manager for a food manufacturing plant. I now do the car rental thing full time and love it. O, and a rich wife doesn't hurt either...HeHEHeHe

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the CEO of a company that sells beef jerky out the back of rusty pickups. Have expanded into Colorado, Wyoming, and looking at other western states (you've probably seen me!). Used to be in the engineering field until this fortunate job enhancement. My wife, Harriett, is the Director of Operations and the only factory employee.

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a general surgeon specializing in telescopic and gastrointestinal surgery. I purchased my GTS to go between hospitals really quickly. Great thing about speeding between hospitals, I never get tickets
cool.gif
. I have been pulled over dozens of times but no ticket. My wife let me buy the GTS so that I might get home a wee bit earlier. Unfortunately, still working too hard and coming home too late
frown.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ANTONIO, MYSELF, SIR HISS, and now CHUCK, hehe

Do absolutley NOTHING.

Ain't life great? (gotta love the word Ain't)

Gerald

Reaction score
A libertarian physician mining the world of liberal healthcare programs.

Have worked in homeless clinics, prisons, and rural clinics.

Presently extracting ore from a welfare clinic which specializes in MediCal patients. Help the poor and disenfranchised while making a reasonable living.

'Tisn't it noble!

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a party rental & special events business in Las Vegas,
Rebel Party Rentals, Inc. We service many of the local hotels, movie productions, etc. Started company in 1989.
I purchased a mint , 93 rt, 5,500 miles, in April and have really enjoyed it.
Have installed SVSI headers, borla catback, aluminum flywheel, vec-1, smooth tubes, 97 polished wheels, Venzanno seats,
various Mgw and Zero Altitude Flight accessories. I like doing mechanical work and have spent more time modifying than driving.

Also own 2001 Lincoln Navigator (stock), 2000 Jaguar 400
series sedan and Hallett 240 boat with modified 454 that I use on Lake meade. I am 53 years old and love mechanics
and my Viper.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperbrat:
I'm a dumb, redneck girl that just GOT LUCKY.... Darn good Gator
wrestler too!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 48, single, unemployed, bored and buy Vipers and guns to cheer myself up.....

Viperbrat, you single? If I really behave, watch all my P's and Q's, and put my best foot forward .... well I Might Be A Redneck.... Oh, I go to FL a lot...

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright tomatper!

It is great not working for the time being....I love extended vacations.......right Gerald, Chuck, Sir Hiss?
LOL

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,
here goes. I probably have the most boring profession on this board. I am a Certified Public Accountant, and a partner in a CPA firm. It is ironic because i have been a body builder
bounce.gif
on and off since 19 and really would love to own a few health clubs. About it, anyone out there selling?
Don't you all need a CPA
devil.gif
(no, not a Corvette Parking Attendant),
I would like to purchase a couple of more Vipers very soon and i need more clients.
biggrin.gif

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
I probably have the most boring job of all these posts, I am CEO (for 21 years) of one of the largests adult video production & distribution corporations in the U.S. (yes I hire all the talent and am there for the shoots).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, quite posting already! SoCal wins!!!!!!

WAR SOCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jenkins:
No doubt, Rebel wins! I'm just a Viper tech. dj
Rollo.....what the h***?????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe Socal can use Rollo in some productions.
laugh.gif

Actually, maybe he could use the whole Tampa Viper community, since they're unemployed! That is, if they're UP for the task ;)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
Maybe Socal can use Rollo in some productions.
laugh.gif

Actually, maybe he could use the whole Tampa Viper community, since they're unemployed! That is, if they're UP for the task ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Slaughter, your a lawyer. Maybe Socal can use you too, you both do the same thing to people. Although Socal just films it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21