what "healthy" mods are there"

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey I was wondering about mods. id like o get some stuff for hp gain over the winter. What mods are out there that are not damaging to the car, vs the ones that damage the car (nos, supercharger, turbo, etc) i wanna get some stuff that wont damage the car as far as wear and tear (for now) :)

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anything that helps the engine 'Breathe'.
Try, intake upgrades and some good hi-flow mufflers...

Some folks like to remove the cats, some dont...

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers, cats, exhaust, gears, dyno tune, intake are good places to start. I did exhaust and gears this year and love it (3.54 ratio).

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything that helps the engine 'Breathe'.
Try, intake upgrades and some good hi-flow mufflers...

Some folks like to remove the cats, some dont...

ive been looking around for a while, and I have yet to see any sort of performance intakes. I am thinking a catback system is a sure thing. My car has a K&N air intake kit, so im just seeing what other options there are.

and i read on another post that removing cats dont really give a HP boost. if this is true then it's not really worth my bother. My mustang had punched cats and the car reaked like a gas station

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a rear exit exhaust, full decat and Belanger cat back system. With the decat you do get a hell of a lot more fumes swirling around the car. I normally drive the car with both windows down and the aero from the rear diffuser and wing seem to swirl air round the car! All part of Viper ownership I guess :)

If you don't like your neighbors, the full decat is the way to go :D

As far as air intake goes, there are a couple of options
1st is to keep the original air box, add K&N filters and smooth tubes.
2nd as above but you can modify the air box removing the baffles inside to help with flow
3rd Add a Vipair airflow kit....now weather this is effective is of great debate and there are many threads on this so use the search feature to find more info ;)
4th If you want a bling look, remove the air box and fit chrome tubes with K&N cone filters.
Problem with this once your engine gets up to temperature its hot under the hood and you end up sucking hot air into the engine, not ideal!
(this is my current set up, but I like the look)

Last edited:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a rear exit exhaust, full decat and Belanger cat back system. With the decat you do get a hell of a lot more fumes swirling around the car. I normally drive the car with both windows down and the aero from the rear diffuser and wing seem to swirl air round the car! All part of Viper ownership I guess :)

If you don't like your neighbors, the full decat is the way to go :D

As far as air intake goes, there are a couple of options
1st is to keep the original air box, add K&N filters and smooth tubes.
2nd as above but you can modify the air box removing the baffles inside to help with flow
3rd Add a Vipair airflow kit....now weather this is effective is of great debate and there are many threads on this so use the search feature to find more info ;)
4th If you want a bling look, remove the air box and fit chrome tubes with K&N cone filters.
Problem with this once your engine gets up to temperature its hot under the hood and you end up sucking hot air into the engine, not ideal!
(this is my current set up, but I like the look)[/
QUOTE]

Bend up a piece of aluminum sheet between the radiator and the support bar. Keeps the heat from the cones.

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my Gen 1, I did smooth tubes and K&N's, HS 1.7's with new lifters and Trend push rods and a Roe full exhaust. Along with fresh PS2's and all the fluids changed. It really woke the car up!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with K&N's, Random Tech High Flow Cats and Corsa's. Some say a 3.55 rear also makes them feel much faster on the street.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what your modification goals are, will be in the future. I started the same down the same path you're underaking now, "healthy" mods. I did:

(1.) Smooth Tubes/K&N Intake
(2.) Headers/Catback/Hi Flow Cats
(3.) VEC3
(4.) T&D Rockers/Pushrods

...then I got bored and did:

(1.) Greg Good Cam/Heads
(2.) SCT Tuning

Mods don't damage the car but idiots certainly can. Supercharger, tubos, NA is all fine so long as the builder isn't an idiot.

It all depends on what you're looking for. For seat of the pants fun, 3:55 gears have made many Viper owers happy.

High flow cats help cool the side sills.

Different catback exhausts produce different exhaust notes. Corsa/Belanger are popular.

Headers help. For stock I'd go with a stepped header.

Vipair sells a high flow airbox, fairly cheap, in the classified here. JMB Performance has a nice looking airbox for the bling factor.

But if you skull-crushing power mods...save your money for boost, supercharger or NA builds.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
4th If you want a bling look, remove the air box and fit chrome tubes with K&N cone filters. Problem with this once your engine gets up to temperature its hot under the hood and you end up sucking hot air into the engine, not ideal! (this is my current set up, but I like the look)[/QUOTE]

"Hot Air Induction Kit: Looks Cool, Runs Hot..... Reduces HP by 25-40 less!"

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the info JonB, I did not realise I was loosing that much HP :(

My last dyno figures were 479hp at the flywheel and 393hp at the rear wheels (before the decat).

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats a vec3

It depends on what your modification goals are, will be in the future. I started the same down the same path you're underaking now, "healthy" mods. I did:

(1.) Smooth Tubes/K&N Intake
(2.) Headers/Catback/Hi Flow Cats
(3.) VEC3
(4.) T&D Rockers/Pushrods

...then I got bored and did:

(1.) Greg Good Cam/Heads
(2.) SCT Tuning

Mods don't damage the car but idiots certainly can. Supercharger, tubos, NA is all fine so long as the builder isn't an idiot.

It all depends on what you're looking for. For seat of the pants fun, 3:55 gears have made many Viper owers happy.

High flow cats help cool the side sills.

Different catback exhausts produce different exhaust notes. Corsa/Belanger are popular.

Headers help. For stock I'd go with a stepped header.

Vipair sells a high flow airbox, fairly cheap, in the classified here. JMB Performance has a nice looking airbox for the bling factor.

But if you skull-crushing power mods...save your money for boost, supercharger or NA builds.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes a VEC 3 is computer related to increase performance....but I know that it also makes a big difference naturally aspirated or SC/TT. I woudl love to see what kind of power increase the VEC 3 and or the VEC 2 have for a Naturally Aspirated GEN 2 with basic mods.... anyone? THANKS!