What is the Best Highway Mileage for you 800 Plus HP Cars?

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best highway mileage for cars that are 800 to 1500 HP? Very curious to see what the relation of Amount of HP to Miles Per Gallon on the highway.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It truly depends on your driving style. I get close to 20 mpg on the highway when doing long drives. daily driving I get closer to 11mpg. But I only got like 12 mpg before the mods...

JD

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends how you drive. I can could get good mileage if I drive without pushing it too hard. But it's hard to keep it toned down :p I'm around 20mpg highway on a slow day :laugh: :2tu:

-Lou

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charlie,

I would cost me over 50.00 in Cam 2 to go to the beach, have a few races and get home with the DLM car. It was only about 45-50 minutes of driving.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
What is the best highway mileage for cars that are 800 to 1500 HP? Very curious to see what the relation of Amount of HP to Miles Per Gallon on the highway.

Chucky CHeeze, I think you would look great in that new Honda Hybrid......... :2tu:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
;) actually it isn't a silly post - because cruise mpg is a measure of efficiency.. look at the good mileage figurs the DLM cars are getting - that's very good and close to stock!

Obviously when you drive on boost mpg will go down.... I'd say 800rwhp would return under 4mpg - but how long can you keep it down? So the average isn't too bad.

SVS did a 580rwhp n/a Viper that got 28mpg according to the guy who tuned it.

Paolo returned 28mpg on his 883rwhp Heffner SC car in the Magazine shootout economy test if I recall - he coasted down hill, but had to climb the hill, so it averages out.

It is technically possible to achieve 30mpg, 1000hp and pass emissions (at part throttle)- but not on a stock shortblock. Because the combo would be very expensive to build, it is not a mass-production likelihood. It could be done however by any avid hot-rodder with a few bucks.

Why wouldn't the factory do it besides cost?

The tune would be suitable only for enthusiasts - not customers who don't maintain their cars properly and have little horse sense.... therefore not something anyone would warranty. It's one reason knowledgable hot rodders can always out do factory results.... the factory has to dumb down for the mass market as they accept liability for dumb customers who do all manner of dumb things.

Turbos should be slightly easier on gas than blowers - but only if driven off boost.

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charlie, Ted's car got 22mpg on the way home from texas with the paxton s/c. and you have driven that car, it all depends on how much you step on the loud pedal (as ted calls it).

OP
OP
V

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all the Big Dogs for sharing your info. A lot of people have no idea how efficient and practical the supercharged/twinturbo cars really are. 800 plus HP, 20 mpg, air conditioning, street ability, is trully an amazing feat of engineering.
-------------------------------------------------------
Chucky CHeeze, I think you would look great in that new Honda Hybrid.........
and JW as for you I say yes, your damn right I would look good in a Honda Hybrid especially after I drive it into a brick wall.