What makes the Gen5 worth $100K?

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been lurking these forums as I've gained some interest in the Gen5 viper. Being a track ******, performance is high on my priorities and place the Viper and Corvettes as the cars to beat. I'm somewhat surprised at the price tag SRT has set, and figured the bulk of the cost attributes to the development efforts throughout the years. To be honest, for the money there are more technologically 'advanced' cars out there compared to the raw & bare-bone viper. Look at the corvettes for example (C6 or C7); you can get a pretty stout setup off the showroom floor and beat almost anything out there for under $70k. At the $100k+ price tag I can't help but compare it against the new Porsche GT3. Just looking at the laundry list that the GT3 has to offer I would feel my money is well spent.

So...what makes the Gen5 hold a $100k price tag?

-Arax

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 or optioned out ZO6 are a better comparison. The viper is less than the ZR1 and close to a full option ZO6. The comparison does not hold for a base C6 or C7.

I've been lurking these forums as I've gained some interest in the Gen5 viper. Being a track ******, performance is high on my priorities and place the Viper and Corvettes as the cars to beat. I'm somewhat surprised at the price tag SRT has set, and figured the bulk of the cost attributes to the development efforts throughout the years. To be honest, for the money there are more technologically 'advanced' cars out there compared to the raw & bare-bone viper. Look at the corvettes for example (C6 or C7); you can get a pretty stout setup off the showroom floor and beat almost anything out there for under $70k. At the $100k+ price tag I can't help but compare it against the new Porsche GT3. Just looking at the laundry list that the GT3 has to offer I would feel my money is well spent.

-Arax

OP
OP

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not looking into any luxury packages and comparing base vs base models, the Z06 is significantly less than Gen5. Since the car will be modified to suit my driving style, I'm not looking to purchasing any OEM track packages.

Let's not turn this into a corvette vs viper post, trust me... I'll never buy a corvette. Just looking to see what justifies the price tag of the Gen5.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's not turn this into a corvette vs viper post, trust me... I'll never buy a corvette. Just looking to see what justifies the price tag of the Gen5.
have you driven a viper? If not, try it and experience it first hand. What makes a Rembrandt worth x million dollars? I don't know because I am not an art collector and don't have x million dollars to plop down on a piece of paper.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to ask the Viper is not for you..... The Viper is a low production American exotic...... The C7 is goog for the wife :)

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the exact number, but the motor alone is probably $25k. One place to start adding it up...

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, for me, I always like to have something unique...and the Viper fits the bill. In some ways, we are paying for exclusivity. After all, this is a low volume hand built machine with only a couple thousand per year being built (if that). I can drive around town all day long and not see one Viper....but Corvettes and Porsches are all over the place. When I see a Viper, it's almost like the first time I saw one because it is a rare occasion. That is part of what I love about this car...exclusivity.

I'm sure if they were able to build VOLUMES of Vipers like they do Corvettes, the price may be less. However, if you visit the plant, and watch these craftsmen put these cars together with their hands, you will fully understand why the car is so special and you will forget about the price. Having said that, I am willing to shell out some extra dough for the great machine they are hand building us. I owned a Z06 for about 6 months and while it was a nice car, I sold it for another Viper...

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned a C5 Z06, C6 Z06 and ZR1 - I wouldn't give up my Viper for all four of three of those. The Viper is in a different league for a lot of reasons. And, I consider a Porsche GT3 as well. Just waiting to see if they produce an ACR version in 2015.

ACRJUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the GT3 compares best to the Viper T/A, the viper TA is supposed to be 125K you will have a hard time getting a new GT3 for less than 145K. not sure the gt3 will outperform the viper in any performance statistic. When is Porsche gonna start offering more carbon fiber body parts like all the American sports cars.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes the 2013 Gen V $8,000 more than the 2010 Gen IV?

- printing of money and the devaluation of the dollar
- carbon fiber 1 piece hood
- carbon fiber roof
- carbon fiber hatch
- more electronics, advanced displays and controls
- including mandated traction control systems
- upgraded interior
- updated engine and drivetrain
- development costs of the above
- plant update and production startup after 2 year shut down

Instead of asking what makes it worth $100k, I prefer congratulate SRT on what will probably be the last year the Viper ever starts under $100k

The SRT is a bargain over the 2010, those are my thoughts.

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price point is great. It's peanuts compared to other supercars like Veyron & aventador that its been compared to in tire size and weight to speed ratio yet pricey enough at the same time where every Tom dick & Harry doesn't have one. The new engine features and tech and interior define this model.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask the Viper is not for you..... The Viper is a low production American exotic...... The C7 is goog for the wife :)

Hmmmmmm.....I think we women should be insulted by that comment..........cubican you were on the right track till you said the "wife" comment.....LOL!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Arax
I tend to agree especially about the awesome Porsche GT3 and the new one coming out is the best and fastest yet. Plus they are hard to get but really want one. They got rid of the stick though and unfortunately they (new) are more in line with the GTS prices and not at 100k

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need to ask this question...you don't get it.

YOU GET TO DRIVE A FREEKIN' VIPER!

The driving experience is so far different than a Vette that comparing them is non productive.

It is not the technology...it's the feeling you get driving it. It's not even the performance numbers where people make their buying decisions on tenths of a second. It is the way the car connects to you, directly and at an emotional level. It's that feeling that the car is doing precisely what you command it to do, not that the car is telling you what it is willing to do. It is the difference between riding a well trained and conditioned horse, where horse and rider become one precision instrument, and a rental horse that is going to go around it's trail with you just along for the ride.

It is this feeling and experience that makes the car worth the money. It is why Viper owners turn around, just for a second to take a last look at their Viper in the garage, before going into their home.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the very low volume. I do believe hand labor is overrated; humans get tired, bored, angry, forgetful, inconsistent, etc....Robotized machinery with the programming are very precise but very expensive and can only be justified with more sales volume. The Viper would even be more expensive if it were to use more mechanized labor with its low volume production.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is why Viper owners turn around, just for a second to take a last look at their Viper in the garage, before going into their home.

For some reason I think even "lowly" Corvette owners do the same thing.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Arax

Not looking into any luxury packages and comparing base vs base models, the Z06 is significantly less than Gen5. Since the car will be modified to suit my driving style, I'm not looking to purchasing any OEM track packages.

I believe the GT3 compares best to the Viper T/A, the viper TA is supposed to be 125K you will have a hard time getting a new GT3 for less than 145K. not sure the gt3 will outperform the viper in any performance statistic. When is Porsche gonna start offering more carbon fiber body parts like all the American sports cars.

Um...so you're OK with the GT3 145k price tag, you're OK with a Z06 at 75k, but not really chuffed about 97k for a SRT Viper. But you're a track ******, is there a problem with having the fastest car at a mid range price? I'm pretty sure the GT3 won't outrun a Z06 nor the SRT, so is this really about track cred or curb appeal?

You're using the word 'technologically advanced', which I'm reading as 'toys' because a lot of go faster bits on the GT3 (flappy paddles and rear steering) are neat but still don't make it as fast (afaik) as the SRT's 'raw & bare bone' Viper. If you're looking for a gee-**** every buzzword under the sun machine, your options are probably better fit by the GT3 and Nissan GT-R to be honest. There's nothing wrong with the Z06 and Viper but if you're thinking that the Gen V Viper isn't high tech or that it's crude, I'm pretty sure you've made up your mind already and no one here will be able to change it.

If you're really interested in the Gen V Viper, go see your local dealer or meet up with your local Viper group. Hopefully you'll be able to test drive or get a ride in a new Gen V so you can make a decision.

What kind of modifications are you looking at to suit your driving style?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a large part of the Viper expense is that the parts don't come from a parts bin that is shared with other vehicles. Just about nothing on a Viper is from other Chrysler products, and every little job shop that builds parts is building something almost custom due to the low volumes. It all adds up. Even the little things are expensive.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What makes the 2013 Gen V $8,000 more than the $2010 Gen IV?

- printing of money and the devaluation of the dollar
- carbon fiber 1 piece hood
- carbon fiber roof
- carbon fiber hatch
- more electronics, advanced displays and controls
- including mandated traction control systems
- upgraded interior
- updated engine and drivetrain
- development costs of the above
- plant update and production startup after 2 year shut down

Instead of asking what makes it worth $100k, I prefer congratulate SRT on what will probably be the last year the Viper ever starts under $100k

The SRT is a bargain over the 2010, those are my thoughts.

Also, keep in mind that if you purchased a Gen III off the showroom floor in 2003-2004, you probably shelled out $80-$85K. Ten years later and you can purchase a vastly improved Viper for roughly $15K more than what it cost you back in 2003. Job well done Chrysler/SRT. As for the 911 GT3, a new one could be had for $100K-$110K back in 2004. In 2013, that number has ballooned to a base price of $130K. There are probably countless other examples of pricing as it relates to the evolution of sports cars, and having run a few numbers it looks like the Viper has done an excellent job of offering significant improvements to the car, while only moderately increasing their price. So yeah, AWESOME Job SRT.

As for the Viper vs. C6/C7 comments. HUH??????

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a large part of the Viper expense is that the parts don't come from a parts bin that is shared with other vehicles. Just about nothing on a Viper is from other Chrysler products, and every little job shop that builds parts is building something almost custom due to the low volumes. It all adds up. Even the little things are expensive.

Steering wheel, dash, nav cluster are all shared across the dodge/srt line.

and the seats are going to make their way into other SRT products as well.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2014 Porsche GT3 will be much more than $130k--$140k once realistic options are added.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That GT3 is a pretty sweet car, but the cheapest stripper they make still cost +30% more than a base SRT.

Being forced to drive an automatic changes the driving experience totally. There is no option for a manual transmission : <(

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please show us another car with a V10 engine that makes over 600 hp from the factory, without the aid of a blower or turbos. Let us know how much that costs.

If you have to ask, you likely just don't get it.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche sold out with production of cayenne & panamera. sorta ruins it if u want a 911 turbo aka the real deal when that general look is mass produced and there's brand dilution. Still I shopped the new 991 C4S against the Maserati since I liked both cars. Porsche lost but it was a close second. but that was for a daily sporty ride. when it comes to funday sunday, I just cant wait to get the new snake.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the Gen V is a beautiful car, it appears the Gen V performance #'s don't seem that impressive for a car three years out of production with a new improved version.