WHAT MODS FIRST?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I AM A NEW MEMBER AND I RECENTLY PURCHASED MY FIRST VIPER AFTER YEARS OF CORVETTES. MY 2001 SAPPHIRE RT/10 IS THE BEST. NOW I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT PERFORMANCE MODS SHOULD I DO FIRST. INTAKE, EXHAUST OR WHAT? ARE THERE CERTAIN BRANDS THAT WORK BETTER FOR THE VIPER? WHO IS A RELIABLE RETAILER? THANKS TO ALL! I LOVE MY VIPER!

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N Filters and Smooth Tubes seem to be everyones first mod, ( it's worth it ), but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Put a *** of coffee on and exercise that "Search" button, you'll find TONS of info! Welcome to Club Viper!
cool.gif

MW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
J Smith

It's depends on what your Viper service will be. Drag racing, street, stock or serious roadcourse ? Driving school for sure for roadcourse...
I'd just enjoy it stock for a while!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After smoothe-bore intake inlet hose (5-layer, not 3,4) and hi-flow K+N filters like the ACR / GT2 uses:

--Exhaust mods...mild (muffler delete) to significant (cat-back / HF cats) to wild: All of these + headers.

--My belief is the #1 performance mod for the $$ is a rear gear swap. Low cost. Little/no risk warrantee or otherwise. High grin appeal. SOTP feel is phenominal. 3.55 feels like 70HP.
3.73 (careful here) feels like 97HP. Under $1000 installed !

Jime, et/al: CAFE has nothing to do with the 3.07 !!!
Corporate Avg Fuel Economy of the Viper could be 1 mpg and the low build numbers of Viper would not affect CAFE at all of Dodge Passenger cars.

The REAL reason is the GAS GUZZLER PENALTY. Dodge puts a 3.07 in, and a skip-shift lite simply so that we buyers can AFFORD the federal gas guzzler tax penalty! With a 3.55, the best overall choice, the $3000 gas tax would rise by ~20% !

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J SMITH:
I AM A NEW MEMBER ....WHO IS A RELIABLE RETAILER. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can trust all of the major VCA advertisors here. We police our own !

Archer; Cragin/Viper Shop; Roe; TNT, Woodhouse, all specialize in Vipers.

Apex is a good bet too......a more recent Viper entry. Levin M/S specializes in sooooooperchargers.

And please consider PARTSRACK, thanks !

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually 3.07's fall short of a 1/4 mile in 3rd gear (at least for my Gen II). You will have to shift into 4th with 3.07's at about 108 mph. And remember that to average 118 mph in the last part of the quarter you will reach about 125 mph (according to my G-Tech at least)

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1/4 mile:

3.07 - Will finish in 4'th with a GTS
3.73 - Will finish in 4'th, unless you can achieve 125++

I have 3.73's, and they are freak'in awesome.

P.S. - A funny story: I took the car to a local Dodge Dealer to get a 'service engine light' checked/reset. After the technician test drove the car, the service manager refused to do any warrantee work due to the 'engine mods' I made. Well, I haven't done any engine mods, only (Smooth tubes/filter, 2.5 Corsa, High-Flow cats, and 3.73 rear gear). He told me when the technician returned from the test drive, he said that my Viper was faster than any he drove before, and I must have done some serious engine mods. Now keep in mind, this tech. has only driven stock Viper's, but in his word my car was 'night and day' from stock. I basically told the dealer I don't care how fast he thinks it is, I didn't do any engine mods. Well, instead of debating his claim, I just took the car to another dealer. A 'Viper Friendly' dealership, and got a bad O2 sensor replaced. I do have to agree with the tech. on one thing: There is a 'night and day' difference between my Viper and a stock Viper, at least in the SOP (Seat of Pants). Gears are GREEEAAAATTTTT!!!!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J SMITH:
THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I AM GOING TO GO WITH A SET OF SMOOTH TUBES AND FILTERS. I AM THINKING ABOUT THE 3.55 GEARS BUT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT TRACTION. I AM ALSO GOING TO LOOK INTO GETTING RID OF THE REAR MUFFLERS. ARE THE REAR MUFFLERS JUST CUT OFF AND NEW PIPE WELDED ON?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are going to do any significant HP upgrades in the near future you would be better off staying with the stock 3.07. If not, changing to the 3.55 will improve acceleration . You may want to also install an aluminum flywheel to get into the RPMs faster and improve throttle response.
Yes to your rear muffler question.
Good luck!
smile.gif

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I AM GOING TO GO WITH A SET OF SMOOTH TUBES AND FILTERS. I AM THINKING ABOUT THE 3.55 GEARS BUT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT TRACTION. I AM ALSO GOING TO LOOK INTO GETTING RID OF THE REAR MUFFLERS. ARE THE REAR MUFFLERS JUST CUT OFF AND NEW PIPE WELDED ON?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21