what's the top speed you've hit on the streets ?

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what\'s the top speed you\'ve hit on the streets ?

that's the question I get asked the most...since I've only had the beast for a couple of weeks,i need your help..How fast have you seen this sucker....ledfoot

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: what\'s the top speed you\'ve hit on the streets ?

305 km/h in my friends Diablo

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

300 km/h - empty autobahn
BURNOUT.gif

S

SUN RA KAT

Maybe 101 MPH in my Viper - hey! it's YELLOW and is easily spotted - the highway where I have been showing off had a whole bunch of patrol cars on it last evening, but I discovered this while going the speed limit - Thank the Lord!

I've gone faster many times in my Dodge Ram truck - 105 MPH.

Going back a few years, I hit 143 MPH in my 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 and I was still being pushed back in the seat from the accelleration - I just didn't have the balls to take it faster.
It previously was my fastest car, now very easily reduced to 2nd place by my Viper.

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kungfool:
Serious Eric, Bigs, Chuck, GTSDeano, and myself have all gone 175-180+ out in the wilds of W.Texas.
Scope our threads in the pit for pics.

Here's one I snapped of Erics speedo... we went even faster... but as I said in the pit... I was to skeered to keep shoving a camera in Erics face to take any more pics!!!

You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Showoff!
smile.gif

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have never exceeded the posted speed limit...and those who have driven their RT's in excess of 160 mph with the top off should be ashamed of themselves...
yesnod.gif

Reaction score

I've been 172 in a RT-10 King Snake and well over 190
eek.gif
in a 650R. Not saying no names but it was in Houston on I-10.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonC:

Showoff!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry. It's photoshopped.
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ledfoot:
that's the question I get asked the most...since I've only had the beast for a couple of weeks,i need your help..How fast have you seen this sucker....ledfoot

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I will tell you all after my drive through Nevada this afternoon!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

My favorite to date:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Orginally Posted by Chuck with 2 Vipers here
I never knowingly exceed the posted speed limit. Exceeding the posted speed limit is illegal. I never knowingly exceed the posted speed limit. Nope, never ever.

If I had ever exceeded the posted speed limit, I would have probably been doing 168 mph. That of course would have been in my RT/10 if I ever did it. If I were to regularly exceed the posted speed limit, I would probably do 160 mph but often times traffic would probably get in the way and I would probably have to safely slow down to the posted speed limit.

However, exceeding the posted speed limit is illegal. I never knowingly exceed the posted speed limit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

135 in a 35, pulled over... let go w/ a 35$ fine and no points. Sometimes its good having family in law enforcement
supergrin.gif

Top speed on a stretch was 163 in my TA (and still climing hard).
Stock f-body overlay was swaped out for a 220mph and calbirated as such
smile.gif

MM

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too would never go so fast. But in my case, if I did, I would probably go around 165-170 racing a motorcycle, RT/10 would be *******. Lonely interstate, late at nite. Only if I were that stupid though
rolleyes.gif

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

165 mph Top down. Sounded like a friggin' tornado in there.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

145mph and I got chicken, at least I'm honest.
laugh.gif

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper-155-156 and then from out of no where a car pulled into my driving line. Had time to shut down. I practice driving a mile ahead when going for my personal land speed. I did drive Talledga speedway at 187 about 6 months ago.

About Trey and 170-175 is believable, I have seen the way he drives, foot to the floor.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper - just over 100, there's just too many cars on the road where I live, and SearsPoint 1/4 mile is all I get (for now). Some day I'll go over 170.

Honda VFR - 120, but I hear they'll do 160.

The 1977 Trans Am (4sp., 350hp, a modified Smokey & the Bandit style) - around 135mph on the road, 155 on a dyno. (Yes, in 1977 he speedo only went to 85, and tach to 6k - I had them both swapped from a 1973 T/A that so they went to 160mph and 7k. The balanced & blueprinted engine would peg the old spedo in 2nd, and redline without hessitation, the new instruments were good for the new top end and new 6.5k redline).

The real story is that I was drag racing a Mach1, and about 300' in the lead at 130mph when suddenly it was daylight in the car! The passenger glass (T-Top) flew off!

The wild thing is it landed on the grass sholder rather than the pavement (or Mach 1's windshield), and upon impact shattered the interior of the two part safety glass, but not so much as a scratch on the exterior of the safety glass. From then on, when passengers got in the car, I'd say - guess what happens at 135? look up! They'd see the spiderweb look of thousands of cracks (no loose glass), and from the outside, nothing.

Also... 1977 cars don't slow down at that speed... we all complain about our Vipers, try slowing down in an old car like that! (It took me over 1/2 a mile to slow down, get turned around and go back for my glass roof).

As for the car, when I moved back to California, the DMV wouldn't let me register it. But that was taken care of by whoever stole it from storage...
frown.gif

Well college days are long over, and so is (most) of the stupidity...

Drive safe - use the track.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So far hit 195 mph (indicated) with the ZX12...Let's just say that air almost starts to feel like a 'solid' substance for some reason...
tongue.gif

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

193 MPH, windows open with a passenger, AC on, 4:00AM, no traffic of course! Soon to go faster with a Sean Roe supercharger! P.C.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

As far as public streets go, once I was racing a Suzuki something or other, with me in my GTS, and after stopping for obligatory compliments, he said we were doing 175 before I backed off.

But I only saw the speedo say 165, when I could steal a glance!

That's it for public streets, let's talk about real race tracks.

A funny thing happens to me when I get my kicks on the track, I no longer feel so intent on racing around on public streets.

Try going to a racetrack, it's a blast, and it fufills your need for speed like nothing else can.

And you can go fast not just in a straight line, but also around turns, much faster than any turns you could find on public streets, so that is an added dimension that takes some learning. It's not as easy as I thought!

And high speed turns, (130+) really test your nerve, and hone your skill. It's WAY better fun than public streets, and much, much safer!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

55 with the windows up, stereo down (so I could be more attentive), and the seatbelt tightly fastened.

...oh wait, were you talking about parking lots or streets?

I have been good and kept it under 135 on the streets. I did take my jeep to over 60 offroad. Now that feels fast. 135 in a viper is nothing compared to bouncing a jeep at 60 mph over rocks and dirt.

S

SUN RA KAT

I have to make a correction to my earlier post. I was showing someone my Viper by taking him for a ride in it and I accidently hit 110+ MPH. I guess the earlier trip of taking my wife for a ride - "Don't scare me!" - "Yes, Dear." - was too un-Viperlike and I had to make amends...

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I looked down for a split second and it was at 170 plus.
Windows down and it was like a tornado, old papers , old french fries along with the payment book all swirling around me. Believe me it takes a lot of wind to get that thing up in the air! I had to use a whip and a chair to get it back in the garage.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King RT10:
I had to use a whip and a chair to get it back in the garage.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha-ha, yeah, that's about it!

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

125 in a 55 zone, yikes, if the police ever would have caught me, over twice the speed limit plus 15 mph for good measure. Never have done it again on the road, about 110 mph at the Gngerman last week!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

170+ (very stupid)

I did over 100 with a friend in HS in a mid 80's z28 with t-tops...put the cruise control on...and we both were standing on the seats with half our bodies out the top. (very very stupid)

since marriage and kids...about 90mph max. (usually on twisty exit ramps)

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ahhh...the Autobahn, you Germans have it good! If I do Autobahn speeds over here it's an Auto(matic)ban on the licence!

Last weekend I went with a few other UK VCA members to a drag race 'plus' event, organized on an airfield. We ran the mile and a quarter from a standing start, my trap speed at the mile and a quarter was 175mph, it's also worth noting I needed another half mile on the brakes to stop (and I was glad I'd fitted brake upgrades!)! The Viper feels so good at speed, it just makes you want to do it! But...(and having had an idiot pull out on me on the road, resulting in a big smash)...it makes you realize just how much road / distance you need to stop if need be. Don't be another member for the crash club, be safe, and do the speed in the "right" places!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte