Whats with this Seat bolster on this GTS for sale??

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i am in the market for a GTS and came across this one but the seat bolster looks like it has some sort of growth on it. Anyone seen this before? I havent gotten a chance to see it in person yet. :dunno:

You must be registered for see images

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree....looks like a bad re-upholster job or could be defective (not likely) padding/stitching issue. But, nobody would accept a new car like that and it would never be allowed to leave the factory looking like that.

I would also check carefully under that side of the car, as you never know!

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a low mileage car 7k miles, cant imagine them looking that bad from improper exiting already? Is there some kind of hard support in there such as a metal stiffener or something that came loose and is trying to escape?

I will have to give them a call and see what the deal is.

Dave: been looking for one with white vents but they are very
rare, possibly one of a kind? :dunno:

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes when exiting my car I use the bolster to push myself out.
Mine doesn't look like that but I can see how that might happen if you did it all the time. The leather would stretch.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They could be just that rare. Maybe I have the only one ever built.

Its probably better for everyone if it stays that way :lmao:

J/K im jealous not matter what color your hood vents..

I sent them an email asking for better pictures and to tell me what was going on. Didnt feel like calling and dealing with a dealership while im at work here. I will let you know what i find out.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a low mileage car 7k miles, cant imagine them looking that bad from improper exiting already? Is there some kind of hard support in there such as a metal stiffener or something that came loose and is trying to escape?

There is no hard support there anywhere near the surface. If it has not been reworked, I can only imagine that the underlying foam has collapsed or has been pushed out of place like LiquoRT/10 suggested.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that on a 2001 GTS I was looking to buy. The original owner said that it simply collapsed over time:dunno:

I would go with the pushed in theory when exiting the car as well.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i first got my car, I used the bolster to make it easier to get out, end result being that I teared up the bolster in less than 1 year ( BTW the bolster is not made of leather but of vinyl)
I had the seat back replaced under warranty and since then i have been using the latch on the door jam instead of the bolster
luc 00GTS

Sometimes when exiting my car I use the bolster to push myself out.
Mine doesn't look like that but I can see how that might happen if you did it all the time. The leather would stretch.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the replies, I called the guy (salesman at a dealership) and he had this very hard to understand Russian accent, I asked about the seat and all he could say was “its fine! Very nice car”. I asked him to email me some pictures of it up close and haven’t heard back yet, been a couple days. Guess i won’t be checking out that GTS.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyoneelse besides me think that it is just plain ridiculous passing up looking at a car for something minor like this?

whats next, the floor mats are scuffed up?, give me a break...

my seats dont look the greatest having 46Kmiles on em, but its the last of my worries considering i let anyone and everyone sit in my viper because i love my viper's fans.:usa: Its not like im gonna be an ass and yell at them for getting out the wrong way or anything. The only thing i say is to the girls to try not to scrape the sidesills with their heals, and im sure to help em in and out ;)

Maybe i'll have the seats re-leathered sometime down the road, no big deal.:)

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyoneelse besides me think that it is just plain ridiculous passing up looking at a car for something minor like this?

my seats dont look the greatest having 46Kmiles on em, but its the last of my worries considering i let anyone and everyone sit in my viper because i love my viper's fans.:usa: Its not like im gonna be an ass and yell at them for getting out the wrong way or anything. The only thing i say is to the girls to try not to scrape the sidesills with their heals, and im sure to help em in and out ;)

It's not the seat problem as to why i will pass up on it, its the salesman/dealership who was rude and didnt want to provide any of the information that i was asking about. Never recieved any high res photos of the car that i asked for and never returned my last phone call. Ohh well, theres more out there for sale and i would rather buy from someone who knows a little more about the car they are selling, hopefully a VCA member.. :2tu:

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey chinook47,I have a 2001 sapphire blue with silver strips that i'll sell for $42,000 firm.It's my second viper and it only has 9,340 miles.It's in great condition.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I passed on a car because the seat had elongation marks in the vinyl where it was stitched. Everyone's description of a perfect car is different. I met guys here who won't drive their car because it's dirty, then wash it and won't drive it cause it's clean. Some guys want to buy a modded car, some like me would never touch a modded car, even though I'll end up modding it myself. It all depends on how the car crazy genes were embedded in you.:)