Wheel Spacers: Anyone try them...are they safe???

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a wheel spacer on the Viper? Here's why i was thinking of trying them:

1) In the stock stance, the Viper wheels are tucked under the front and rear wells by about 1/2".

2) If the wheels were pushed out more, it would give the Viper a wider, more aggressive stance

3) Possible improvement in handling? "Wider is Better?" Wider track both front and rear?

Question:
Are they safe? Can they handle the loads of the Viper under race conditions?
If anyone has used them, WHO MAKES THE BEST SPACER?

Just curious. I have seen some that say they are made of aircraft grade T-.... aluminnum with titanium, etc.. and are made to handle big loads. Of course I will need longer wheel studs, but i do not want to jeopardize the safety, reliabilty, and performance of the car.
Thanks!

Reaction score
While they may be fine on the street, wheel spacers don't belong on a road course. They can fatigue wheel bearings, spindles, hubs, etc., especially with the sideloading added by wide, sticky tires. If you're set on getting a set of spacers for the street, make _sure_ they're billet and not cast. Cast wheel spacers are very failure-prone.
P.S.--when are you going to get rid of that picture of your silver GTS and post one with your yellow GTS?
You must be registered for see images

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horrible idea, IMO. Changes scrub radius, increases loads on bearings & studs, and may give weird steering kickback over bumps and braking on surfaces with different surface side-to-side. Why not get wider wheels (still with proper offset), especially in the front? I have always thought that the fronts should be 11" or 12" wide and Purner can do that (I presume others can, too).

FWIW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21