When hitting brake pedal , does anyone

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
accidentally hit the accelerator pedal too? I constantly do this when I deaccel and brake,even at stop lights. I guess the pedals are just THAT much closer? That and I constantly turn the wipers on on accident. grrrr :confused: :curse: :nana:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what shoes I wear.

I have big feet, but when I drive the Viper I usually wear driving shoes. I don't have the problem so long as my shoes are cut relatively close. Dress shoes with wide welts cause "missteps" such as you describe.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got mine I used to just nip the brake when trying to depress the clutch, occasionally causing some really interesting bucking motions..

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have size 13's and when driving the car to work I am usually in BDU's with combat boots. So I guess the short answer is yes.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think I've ever done either (size 11 feet with tennis shoes on almost all the time). I did let my dad drive it a couple nights ago and before he had it backed out the garage he had turned the wipers on somehow and was cussing b/c he couldnt get them off. Ofcourse he does the same exact thing in my mom's Montero. He drove a fire truck for 28 years, but cant handle windshield wiper controls to save his life :bonker:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done the gas pedal thing a couple times.... also knocked the windshield wiper lever a couple times as well :rolleyes: hahaha

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember haveing the problem with my Gen I, but in the Gen III I routinely hit the wiper stalk during track events- someone should look into a shorter wiper stalk!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Gerald, in September of 2002 when the not-yet-released 2003 SRT-10's were offered for test drives at VOI.7 in Nashville, a Skip Barber instructor rode with each driver on the small autocross courses. As one entered the driver's seat, the instructor pointed out several things...one of which was that they wanted you to engage the ABS at the end of the course, AND stated that you would LIKELY be carrying 3000 rpm on the tach as most of the drivers would not be aware of the proximity of the brake pedal to the gas pedal, thereby catching the gas pedal upon right foot braking...especially since the addition of a dead pedal had caused a "right shift" in the pedal relationships. When switching among our Gen I's, II's, and III...I have to be very careful about this at the start of the outing.

Remember just how many folks driving a Gen I or II for the first time hit the brake pedal with the tip of their left foot as they were depressing the clutch for a full stop ?? !!!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it a few times.
I let my 78 year old Father drive my Viper when I first got. He hit the gas at a stop sign and we ended up in the middle of the street :-( Lucky no traffic was coming. I think I pissed myself too :-}

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
accidentally hit the accelerator pedal too? I constantly do this when I deaccel and brake,even at stop lights. I guess the pedals are just THAT much closer? That and I constantly turn the wipers on on accident.

GERALD... we all know you just got a Viper last week....as soon as the newbee-blues wear off, you'll be fine......

Oops, um, er.... Wrong Gerald?! Is this the long-time owner/driver Gerald in the Geriatric Capital of USA? IN THAT CASE: As you age, the feet flatten and the mind slows down, as does the hand-eye coordination. [Those same reasons explain why the same thing happens to me on VERY, VERY RARE ocasions] ......but never when wearing driving shoes. The only time I hit the wipers is during spin-recovery.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, definirtely. Even on the track once.

Most times it is when stopping and I notice the high idle. Never happened in an Gen I.

And yes, the damn wiper stalk is [******]. Hit that on the track too!

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds so trivial, but I constantly hit the go pedal when braking.... oh well. And I'm not buying driving shoes. That kinda strikes me as tacky as seeing some porsche drivers wearing driving gloves in bumper to bumper traffic.. HILARIOUS

G

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pedals are designed (sort of) for heel-toe shifting. It's a good thing that they are close together for this reason. When braking, try rolling your foot to the left (move your knee to the left) and it shouldn't depress the gas, even if your foot is overlapping the throttle.

The only time I hit the wipers is during spin-recovery.....
ROFL! I just HATE doing that, hehe--it's insult to injury really to first lose it and spin the car AND THEN look like a dork with your wipers going on a nice dry day. Oh, yea, he's got that thing under control in there. Yeaaaa, riiight, hehe. :D

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG! i am so happy someone made a thread about this! I thought i was the only one. I just wear size 11 Nike sneakers almost everyday and the first week i had the car i kept hitting the gas when stepping on the brake. I thought i was the only one. I still have a problem when my shoe is on the dead pedal and i pick it up to go on the cluth, sometimes my foot get stuck on the back of the clutch since i guess the shoe is wide. But i never drove a car with pedals so close together. I am more use to it now though.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, frequently hit the wipers.

Yup, hit the gas when hitting the brake. Especially when applying brakes too rapidly (quickly hitting ABS). The pedal seems to sink faster and farther. When tracking, I apply more gradually as the Viper seems to stop harder with less brake pedal travel.

I think the pedals are in the perfect position for heel toe shifting. But if I wanted change, it would be to reduce brake pedal travel while maintaining the same pressure feedback.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i do it some times but you should get use to it. took me a while to get down the brake and gas being so close. i hit the wiper all the time and that ****** me off. i say screw it and keep on truckin :nana:

Max

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROFL! I just HATE doing that, hehe--it's insult to injury really to first lose it and spin the car AND THEN look like a dork with your wipers going on a nice dry day. Oh, yea, he's got that thing under control in there. Yeaaaa, riiight, hehe. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Me too. Here I am, after barely avoiding the wall. (Nope, it wasn't raining that day.)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the dead pedal? Used to driving the Gen II so when driving my buddy’s Gen III I kept get hitting the dead peddle when going for the clutch :-(

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't hit the brake/gas pedals together, but have hit the wiper accidentally a couple times, [******]?

But I have a different problem, with the clutch pedal. Sometimes when I go to release the clutch when wearing dress shoes, the top of the shoe gets caught on something and I have to slide my foot down the pedal a bit to be able to completely disengage the clutch - now that is annoying!

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a clumsy bunch! :rolleyes: I think for some of you with other vehicles it's more of a problem. Do your other cars have automatics with the shifter on the column? That could be why you hit the wipers. I did hit the brake once when depressing the clutch. :eek: I did the gas thing once or twice earlier in my ownership but now I have adjusted (know to move my foot over a little more); it's easier for me because this is my only car. The other machine is a motorcycle and I don't get that mixed up with the Viper!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
1 - Get driving shoes.
2 - Adjust pedals correctly.
3 - Pay attention.
4 - Problem will go away.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, I drive with racing shoes while going for a cruise, to work or other regular uses. Not!

I only have size 10 and I have done this on multiple occasions. I have been driving Vipers for over 10 years. Experience is not the question. It is proximity and brake pedal travel related. I have never heard anyone make that complaint about a Gen I or II (and there pedal positions were shall we say much more misaligned).

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Me too. Here I am, after barely avoiding the wall. (Nope, it wasn't raining that day.)
Awesome! Photographic proof! :D

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one too... :eek:

I have size 12 feet and the first thing I do when I get in my car is take my shoes off....

So used to it now that I don't even think about it... :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4