Where are all the Air Conditioner threads?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove my viper for the first time in 2 months and the temperature won't change no matter what the "mode" knob or temp knob is adjusted too.

Ideas? Or link me to a thread that has the fix? Search is not cooperating with me currently.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the vacuum connection from the manifold to the air box on the passenger side engine compartment. Watch for the linkage movement with movement of the knob. Pull the hose and check for vacuum with a gauge too.

On the heater the control valve on top of the air box should move with the temp knob rotation.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill check these out this weekend. I really haven't got a chance to look at it.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go out and see if your compressor is working..you probably have a low charge

Well that's the catch, even I turn to outside air wth no a/c the temp still doesn't change. Turn the heater on and full blast hot and still no change, it's just outside temp.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The HVAC system doesn't use air blend doors to mix hot and cold air; it only controls the coolant flow rate through the heat exchanger. What that means is the temperature coming out of the blower will only change as fast as the water in the little radiator under the dash. If you tested the hot-cold air right after starting, you are correct, it would only blow ambient air. You really need to open the hood and look at the heater core valve located on top of the passenger side footbox. There are two long hoses and a short hose that drops into the footbox. Just before that short hose is the valve - there should be an arm with a cable on the end. The far end of the cable goes to the temperature knob on the dashboard. Rotate the knob and the cable should move the arm through at least 90 degrees of rotation.

If that works, it is possible you have air in the heater core. Go to the driver's side and lean on the large diameter radiator hose. Does it sound squishy and like water and air? Or is it semi-solid and only water moving?

If you believe the coolant is full, then find the low pressure cutoff switch. This prevents the AC compressor from running if there is no R-134A in the system. The reason it cuts off is because the R-134A carries the lubricant throughout the system and lack of R-134A = lack of lubricant. Sometimes it's called the cycling switch. Example:
[media]http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/Z/2/71537350.gif[/media]

Get a paper clip and bend it into a "U" shape. Stick the two ends into the wiring plug you just pulled off the low pressure switch to bridge the connection. This will ensure the AC compressor runs when you turn on the car/AC. If it now runs, most likely the R-134A was low. If it was low enough to shut down the compressor, you can most likely add at least one can and get the compressor to stay on again.

Before you add the can, though, get a skinny screwdriver and safety glasses and a glove. Unscrew the low pressure suction port where you will attach the hose to add R-134A. Put your glove and glasses on, then poke the screwdriver at the stem in the Schrader valve. If stuff comes out, then at least you know the R-134A hasn't leaked completely out. If nothing comes out, then you have lost the entire charge and you have a big leak somewhere.

Report back.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nothing comes out, then you have lost the entire charge and you have a big leak somewhere.
Which in a 1997 is probably the o-rings in the system - particularly the ones sealing the hard lines that attach to the condensor radiator in front of your engine coolant radiator. My car would not hold a charge when I bought it used. I read on this forum that the early Gen II o-rings had issues and were superseded by new part numbers. I replaced them when I put in a new radiator and the car has held a charge for 5 years now.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about '97s in particular, but it is very common for the o-rings on the compressor to get hard also. The compressor gets surprisingly and amazingly hot during operation, plus it is nestled up against the block. I used the auto parts store kit that comes with about 15 o-rings of various sizes.

OP
OP
F

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after some playing around with it this weekend I found out the problem...

I didn't realize the heater only works for floor and defrost. Never used it before but after a quick "duh" I remembered this is a 90's model Dodge and they weren't made to have heat come out of them. Never gets cold enough around here to ever use a heater. It's kinda like the windshield wipers on vipers.... They are mysterious beast that only come out once in a blue moon.

The A/C just needs to be charged(it's low) and explains why that isn't working.

Thanks everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang