Where can I run amp wiring from the trunk?

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading the stereo system in my Gen ! RT/10. Part of my install includes replacing the 2 factory amps with a more powerful 4-channel amp. Now, I need to run new speaker wire and RCAs from the trunk to the stereo in the dash. I need some help finding where I can run these new wires. I've disassembled much of the cabin area, but cannot find where the factory trunk wiring harness enters the cabin? Here are some pictures of what I'm looking at...hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. I'd like to be able to use the same rubber grommet that the factory wires feed through. Where does this enter the passenger area at?
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The factory wiring goes *under* the car, believe it or not. I routed the CD changer wire on my old gen I by fishing the wire from one of the holes around shoulder height on the horizontal surface under the roll bar (I had to widen the hole a bit) to a rubber knock-out plug on the back side of the trunk. It was a lot of fun - took a loooong fish wire and a lot of trial & error.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran mine through the grommet in the passenger footwell and down the transmission tunnel on the outside.

If you are running wires on the outside there is an easy way to cheat to get in the trunk. Just follow the frame rail into the rear bumper and punch a hole in the large plug/grommet. Super easy, just buy a new one as a spare and you can go back to stock in seconds.

4355Cd2.jpg

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Red,

There is a channel that runs just below the passenger side of the rear window (inside the cabin) that goes down into the trunk. In the trunk you'll see the wires come out of the hole that is at the bottom right of the passenger side trunk hindge. This hole is featured in your 1st photo which is plugged with a black rubber gromet which has 3 sets of wires coming from it. This is the easist place to run the wires. I found that it helps to duct tape the amp wire to a staightened wire coat hanger and push it through. Of course its a good idea to cover the ends of the wires as you run them.

Hope this helps,

Steve

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where does it come out inside the cabin? I can't find an access? Do I need to remove another panel (not removed in the 2nd picture)? I started to peel the carpet away, but didn't see/or feel any holes behind the passenger seat.

Hi Red,

There is a channel that runs just below the passenger side of the rear window (inside the cabin) that goes down into the trunk. In the trunk you'll see the wires come out of the hole that is at the bottom right of the passenger side trunk hindge. This hole is featured in your 1st photo which is plugged with a black rubber gromet which has 3 sets of wires coming from it. This is the easist place to run the wires. I found that it helps to duct tape the amp wire to a staightened wire coat hanger and push it through. Of course its a good idea to cover the ends of the wires as you run them.

Hope this helps,

Steve

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed in your pic you have the JL's in there. Are they the 6W0's? I looked at them but thought they were to deep. Can you let me know as I want to replace mine as well and they were my first choice.

Thanks,

Craig

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 6W0's.

They fit fine, however, you'll have to grind down the screws that stick out on the factory grills...otherwise they contact the speaker surround.

'93 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 6W0's.

They fit fine, however, you'll have to grind down the screws that stick out on the factory grills...otherwise they contact the speaker surround.

Great...thanks for the info. One other question. You also mentioned you were going to replace the stock amps. I have also thought about this but still have not determined how to mount them to the wall in the trunk where the factory ones are. Was curious if you already had an idea how you were going to mount yours? I have not looked at the car to see if it would be possible to just screw it to the front wall of the trunk without going though to the wheelwell, gas tank or???.

Thanks again.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you complete this install? I have the interior out of my 1996... and want to install a new stereo. I have not even looked at stereo equipment for 15 years... and quite frankly I went to a stereo shop and they scared me with a price of $3100!!!!!

I think I want to replace the amps... and I definitely do not want to retain the 6 disc CD changer...... I want an Ipod connection on my stereo that I can plug in my Ipod.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
[/IMG]I recently had a new stereo system installed in my 94 RT/10
for 1,792.95 Here is what i got:
ALPINE PDX 4100 (1)
Pioneer TS-SW841D sub woofer(1)
Set of Bosten RC 520
proline rca jack
amp wire kit
Xtreme Wedge pack
kenwood kdc-x791 installed plays mp3 from a flash memory stick(i picked a 4GB for 39.00 now i dont have to carry CD,s
And Installation. it took the installer from 9am till 6:30pm I watched him off and on during the install.
This System Rocks!!! unbelievable Bass sound from one subwoofer.

Last edited: