Where should I start with trying to cool the cabin?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the heat shield fabric underneath the center console of the GTS, and it seemed to help. Any better ideas for an SRT/10 and the engine heat?

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
corsa exhaust. Works great. I can drive barefoot. Once installed, no further heat problems in cabin. Even sidesills are warm to the touch.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa NO crossover/seat heater, removing the cats will also cool down the cabin more at the expense the car getting louder(much from what i have been told)

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to touch the exhaust. I love the way it sounds stock but, I would add more heat shields to them.

2005 Silver SRT/10

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would not use a insulation wrap on the exhaust, there was a post/thread on this not all that long ago where someone tested and found that they caused/released that heat upon stopping or shutting the car off and prolonged the time it took to allow the car to cool down. Also it should be noted that the cats are designed to operate within a certian temp range and there may be a good chance that the heat wrap will cause them to overheat and fail in time.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To add most of the heat in the car/cabin comes from the vents on the hood and the way the air circulates/swirls you can feel the HOT air coming around the side view mirror sail panels with the top down. another large part ofthe heat is the crossover that heat the underneath of he rear bulkhead especially once the car is heat soaked.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can assure you that the corsa sounds great and isnt too loud. Well worth it. The heat issue was a pain in the butt. Now i can drive bare foot. try that after a few hard miles with the stock exhuast.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember hearing about the heat wraps. I thought of just buying another set of stock shields and doubling them up.

Most of the heat I'm feeling is around my legs. I keep adjusting the a/c to direct more air to the floor boards but once the car heats up, your done.

2005 Silver SRT/10

SRT10Mike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The floorboard area heat was unbearable for me from the very first day I got the car. That was last December too! The heat in the hot summer would have been torture.

I installed the Corsa Track exhaust and some hi-flow cats. There is no noticeable heat anymore and the sound is much much better than stock.

Midgetfist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To add most of the heat in the car/cabin comes from the vents on the hood and the way the air circulates/swirls yo can feel the HOT air coming around the side view mirror sail panels with the top down. another large part ofthe heat is the crossover that heat the underneath of he rear bulkhead especially once the car is heat soaked.

100% TRUE

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The floorboard area heat was unbearable for me from the very first day I got the car............. I installed the Corsa Track exhaust and some hi-flow cats. There is no noticeable heat anymore and the sound is much much better than stock.

Cool Running; Less Weight; More HP; More TQ; Guaranteed. IN STOCK. THANKS

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, too much heat. As Mike indicates the elimination of the crossover helped. As did cat removal. But, even with that, the heat on hotter days is too much. 70 degrees out is perfect. 80 a little hot. 90 or more and it is unbearable.

I keep wanting to try blocking off the rearmost hood vents to see how that helps. Maybe with Woodward coming next week I will give that a whirl. Most of my heat problem is now that which comes over the windshield or by the side mirror.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport thats comparing apples and oranges

gen I no vented/louvered hood,
no crossover pipe in exhaust sys
much different aerodynamics in and around the car
not sure if gen I & II have 2 cats(gen III have 4)

these are some of the major differences that would contribute to the heat.

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have corsa without the crossover, and I even hollowed out 2 cats, but my cabin is still super hot in the summer, even if the sun isn't out. The center consol, sides, footwells, everything is hot to touch. Any ideas?

Nico

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ATP wrap makes some insulation for the foot wells that will help cool the cabin.

Autoform makes a vented hood that will also cool the engine compartment and help cool the cabin.

I have both of the above and they work.

The Corsa Track exhaust that eliminates the crossover is the best bang for the buck, and you will pick up a few more ponies.

If you're not willing to change the exhaust, you will not be able to solve the "heat in cabin" problem.

Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the rest of you, but my car is fine even on the hot days. The only time it is hot is when heat soaked when sitting after running for while on a super hot day. Even then after driving for a few minutes it cools off. I do have the wrap on the corsa and can confirm it does take longer to cool down due to heat soak but is always just warm when exiting after shut off.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat soak is my big issue. When first driving it it's great but once it sits, it starts cooking.
Is DC addressing this for future Vipers?

Thanks everyone for all the feed back. I need to hear what the Corsa sounds like.

2005 Silver SRT/10

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered the cosa track I hope it helps with the heat? Also how much hp will I pick up I have the Paxton on now and all stock?

AxlRoseViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Corsa Track system...had it installed 1st week..and it DRASTICALLY reduces the cabin heat..and sounds great.

Question I have now...should I have installed high flo cats? What is ths difference sound/power?

Thanks!

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the heat shield fabric underneath the center console of the GTS, and it seemed to help. Any better ideas for an SRT/10 and the engine heat?

Belanger headers with hi-flo cats. No cabin heat at all after I did this set up on both my Gen IIIs.

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m bone stock with 23K on the car and normally drive top down with the air conditioner off. I don’t find excess heat to be problem unless I’m stopped in traffic for a long time or it’s really hot and humid outside. Because of my big feet, I drive bare footed. The dead petal gets a bit warm but doesn’t burn my feet. I keep the air handler set to recirculate, the temperature set to maximum cold and the fan off otherwise I pull in hot air into the cabin even with the fan off. It will get toasty in the cabin if the air handler is not set to recirculate.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep the air handler set to recirculate, the temperature set to maximum cold and the fan off otherwise I pull in hot air into the cabin even with the fan off. It will get toasty in the cabin if the air handler is not set to recirculate.

That is how I run mine. Maybe, that is why I never have a heat issue?

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the cabin heat - Believing that most of the heat was coming from the engine/transmission and not from the just the side-sills as is usually blamed, I removed the aluminum pan (streamlining sheet metal) from under the transmission and the difference was immediate and very discernible. It takes just a few minutes so give it a try!

Thanks,

Lynn

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had headers done along with the side exhaust and it did eliminate most of the heat. I also dynamtted the car to dampen noise.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"To add most of the heat in the car/cabin comes from the vents on the hood"

Has anyone found a way to keet the hood vent heat from entering the Heat-AC fresh air vent becides putting the heater control on recirculate?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:
"Regarding the cabin heat - Believing that most of the heat was coming from the engine/transmission and not from the just the side-sills as is usually blamed, I removed the aluminum pan (streamlining sheet metal) from under the transmission and the difference was immediate and very discernible. It takes just a few minutes so give it a try!"

Just how big a difference did this make after runing the car for a hour and then letting it stand for about a hafh an hour? How many degrees cooler was it with the pan removed than with it in place? I fabricated a piece for the rear section of the pan that directs all the air to the rear axle, Diff., and helps keep it cool. It made a huge difference in the operating temperture of the diff on a hot summer day. The diff used to whine when it got really hot and no longer does. It sounds like the answer it to cut the foward part of the pan off and leave the rear section in place to cool the diff. I made up extra pieces of this mod when i did mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960