Which Shelby-inspired car should I get signed?

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the choice, which Shelby-inspired car should I get autographed, and it what scale? Although naturally I'd choose a Viper, this is going to be more of a small investment to add to my collection (his signature come @ the cost of a $190 donation & about $80 in return shipping), so I want to choose one that'll bring me the best return in the years to come.

I was thinking one of the following in either 1/24 -1/18 scale

Viper RT-10 or GTS
60s Ford Mustang GT350
'67 'stang GT500 (likely an Eleanor look-a-like)
2000s Shelby 'stang
99 Shelby Series I
60s Shelby Cobra
1980s Shelby Omni GLH Turbo (lower budget diecast w/so-so quality... but a left field choice none the less)

also thought about a Ford GT (both old & new), but they don't seem to be that popular in the diecast realm.

Im not sure if the car and it's quality & scale even matter, but thought I would ask for some opinions. I appreciate any advice

Last edited:

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
(I adore my vipers!!..(obviously it goes without saying the VIPER is THE first choice!)...).However..having said that.....if you're looking for monetary appreciation ....I'd go with the RAREST!! So..if the Ford GT is the most elusive...find one of those and get it signed!
Failing that I'd probably go for the 60s Cobra!

But for $190...I think I'd bring one of each and try and get them ALL signed!! LOL!!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have him sign the Cobra or better yet take 2 cars and have on signature that crosses over to both to be like a puzzle.

Bruce

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my GTS for many reasons and the inspiration from this car is pretty high on that list. This is probably his crowning achievment if the people that have voted wth their wallets is any indication......

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice so far guys. So I should probably go with something with Shelby's name attached to it, more so than a Viper....and a well known classic. A was surprised that nobody mentioned the Mustang. I guess Shelby Mustangs are too overplayed.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of Ford GT's (the new car) and GT40's (the 60's original race cares) in diecast from 1/24 to 1/12 in scale.

I hate to plug "flea bay", but it is a quick way to see what's out there.

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Toys-Hobbies-/220/i.html?Scale=1%253A10%7C1%253A12%7C1%253A16%7C1%253A18%7C1%253A20%7C1%253A24%7C1%253A25%7C1%253A32&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4203&rt=nc&_nkw=Ford+GT&_dmpt=Diecast_Vehicles&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

(In case that didn't work right, just search for "Ford GT" in Toy & Hobbies...

Best of luck!

OP
OP
J

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, I guess there is several. It just seemed that fewer manufacturers were making the GTs (and most guys who even collect ford stuff, don't have one on a shelf)....but I guess I just never looked that had. thanks

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra, Daytona coupe or GT350 definitely not elanor. You should stick to the Mustang or Fords for you biggest bang for the buck! Hard to beat Cobra or Daytona Coupe! Shelby Mustangs are not over played they were kicking Corvettes a&$@ befor the Vioer came along!!!!!

viperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an investment (which you say it is) it won't be worth it. It's going to cost you $270 and no-one will pay that extra price + any extra you want to make from it. So from an investment point of view, save your money.

OP
OP
J

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a few high-end Shelby cars in my collection anyway...most of which I inherited, some are rare, so I thought getting a Sig on one or two wouldn't hurt, cuz he's getting up in the year. Plus Im a fan.

Shelby Cobra it is I'm thinking. I got a nice 67 I might send.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I never really put that much thought into his autograph being worth much. I live only a few miles from his shop and see all of his new creations long before they hit the market. Some of his top people drive the cars from his museum collection on some of our car runs when the urge hits them. I have some great photos of the 700hp Mustang pace car cruising with us.

OP
OP
J

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although he signs a fair bit, I wouldn't think his autograph would take away from an items value. In Canada, it's seems bit different. Although he was here this past year for a gala in his honor, I honestly think prior to that, the last time we saw his was back in the late 80s when he and Lee Iacocca were showcasing their fwd lineup to Canadian dealers. We seem to freak out a little more over him.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats somthing i have been trying to get done for years........ Just cant get it done from this side of the pond.....

If anybody can get his autogragh on a gen 1 RT burago i would pay up front....... and be MOST GRATEFULL...........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala