Which Viper is right for me?

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, let me start by saying that this is not a "Plan to buy a Viper in the next century" post. I have wanted one as long as I can remember, and the time is finally right. I am 29, and I want a Viper when I turn thirty. I have owned many performance cars, mostly Ford-powered, including my current 2004 Lightning. (Insert SRT-10 Ram slur here.) I rented a 2001 RT/10 for a week while I was visiting my family in Minnesota and fell in love. I can't decide between Gen I and Gen II, however, and I was hoping for some input from current owners. Is a Viper a practical daily driver?
I am looking around 35K for a decent Gen I, and around 50K for a decent GenII. I already know all the basics, 50 more hp after 1997, different interior, actual windows, etc.; with the money I save on if I get a 1994 Viper, I can buy another car to drive on really bad days. If I get a 2000 model, it will probably be my only car, at least for a while. I live in SC, so no worries about snow. I do not want a GTS. I have never been in a Gen I, so is the Gen II that much better that I should sacrifice having a second vehicle?
With Vmania windows (non-vented with electric door openers) and a hardtop, is a Gen I Viper just as secure as a GenII? I am in the Navy, so it will be parked on a Navy base during the day while I am at work. It will never be parked for more than 6 hours at a time, though.
I own Matt Stone's book; can anyone recommend any other reading for a future Viper owner?
I have been lurking here for a while, so I know the basic ins and outs of Viper ownership, but one thing that is not discussed a lot is maintenance. I assume since I haven't read about it here, that the stock Vipers generally do not break much. Is that safe?
Thanks for your help!

Matt

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GenI would be a lousy daily driver. I was hung up on the side pipes thing and did not mind the rawness of the earlier cars. If your going to use for transportation get one with windows and door locks for sure.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1993 $6000 Caddy STS as a daily driver, wount bother me to see it rusting away...

I leave the Gen 1 only for nice days! You want some good memories with it right?

I've owned my Gen 1 for 4 years, from 7000 miles to 36.000 miles. I had to get the headgaskets replaced, other than that it has been just brakepads, oil changes and tires. Oh, some gas too... :headbang:

I was also worried about it being "excotic" and not very reliable, it turned out to be almost bulletproof! I bought mine at Myrtle Beach, ex Florida car.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently dailing driving a 98 GTS and have to say that even though there are many people on this forum that will **** me as a wuss, the Viper is a crappy daily driver. At least one with a loud exhaust. Oh and BTW, my commute is 5 miles with no traffic. I have decided that if I keep the Viper, and get a new job farther away (or in any case when the weather gets warm) I need to get another car to daily drive. On the bad days I think I need to sell the Viper, add in whatever I would spend on a daily driver, and buy a 996TT (now that theie resale is plummeting) or get the SLK55 I am on the list for and have one car. But that takes all the greasy, frustrating "hobby factor" out of owning a car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loath the term "daily driver" but if you have to ask then a Gen I isn't for you.

As for Gen II I have 98,000+ miles on my 98 RT/10. Anybody who says they aren't a daily driver is a p*ssy...or drives a Vette.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loath the term "daily driver" but if you have to ask then a Gen I isn't for you.

As for Gen II I have 98,000+ miles on my 98 RT/10. Anybody who says they aren't a daily driver is a p*ssy...or drives a Vette.

Sssssshoot, only 98K?! You're wimping out on us Chuckwagon :D :D

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody that says the viper is a bad daily driver is too spoiled for thier own good, or doesn't really appreciate raw sportscar. They are dependable. One word of warning, you will NEVER get away from the "AWE" factor! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sssssshoot, only 98K?! You're wimping out on us Chuckwagon :D :D

Still waiting to hear from the lawyer about the "scratch" the kid put in the rear quarter.

Besides there's no time, the Dr. has me climbing every roof in central Florida.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First get a daily driver.I have always liked trucks.Prefer 4x4 PU to SUV or Full size Van.Use the truck to get,haul,drag,push,drive over curbs,up and down embankments,through the woods,get groceries,etc.Then get a Viper for fast pleasure driving when its sunny,cool, and you have the significant other with you or are looking to find one.LIke having work clothes and a tux.Different vehicle for different occasions. GTS Bruce

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone that says a Gen I isn't good for a daily driver is a pu$$y too...... ;)

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With respect to being daily driven the biggest drawback for me is the attention the car gets. It is always nice to have people wave at you, thumbs up, etc etc. But, when you walk away the attention continues...in the store, at work etc. People all over your car. NO WAY could I leave mine parked where I work all day.

In a perfect world my GenII would be a fine driver (no snow, no jealous morons)

Kurt

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my "02" RT/10 as a "daily driver" (My wife hates those words).
I work from home and make customer visits once or twice a week.
I have had the car about 7 months now and put about 5000 miles on it using it as a "daily driver".
I can say that I think the car makes a great daily driver, was surprised that even in the rain the top or windows did not leak.
The things that I hang on seem to be these:
1. Keep it shinny - I want to take care of the car's appearance (truly awesome looking cars) so I find myself washing or at least quick detailing the car after each weeks drives...then, I find myself wanting to "save her for nice days".

2. Keep her outta the ditches - The next thing I noticed is that the tires are so wide that they can act as paddles in wet weather conditions...(car throws an amazing rooster tail though :D ).

3. Care and Feeding: - Now I can't speak for anyone else's gas mileage but mine averages 12.39 over the last 4000 miles...need to consider that if you have a lengthy commute :confused:

4. Creature comforts - Next thing that (insert **** here) because of MX accidents my left ankle isn't 100% and in Dallas stop and start traffic clutching these things can be a PITA (Can't imagine doing a parade in one at about 10 Mph either :shocked: )Don't forget...there isn't a clutch foot rest on these!...Get a descent sound system (audio or exhaust), the RT top rattles.

5.Prize Value - Another strange trend is that cars with higher miles seem to be worth less :) so at a point you want to keep the miles to a "re-sellable" amount :rolleyes:

I mention these things for consideration, If you have never driven one, you can't really understand how they "handle". I actually had a Lightning myself that ran 11.6's at 119's and "assumed" that since my SVT was pushing 486/621 to the rear wheels that the Viper would be the same type of power...Nope!
It takes concentration and driver input to drive one. My Lightning' I could get away with talking on the phone and a certain amount of other "distractions"...the Viper demands that the driver give it 90% or better of your attention...not for the average minivan mom driver :D (in no way implying you were such driver)
I personally chose to pick up an additional car for driving in conditions where trips to the grocery store or freezing precipitation are involved :D

Before I bought mine, a buddy who already had two of them told me, "you aren't buying just a car...your buying a lifestyle"...couldn't have said it better :2tu: it is a rolling car show :headbang:
I am sure whatever you get you will soon measure in "Smiles per gallon" :smirk:
After you buy the car, then add it to the mod list you are going to have...just another line then :D

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The worst thing about the "daily driver" thing is that you have to wash it ALL THE TIME! I wash my cars maybe twice a year. My Vipers are always beautiful, my Grand Cherokee is always a mess! Unless you live in sunny southern Ca or you love to wash your car, get a diff daily driver.

And wusses should not ask about the gen I. This car is for serious enthusiasts (locos) only. Why do you think they're 15K cheaper? $7500 will give you 600 rwhp, so its not the hp issue! Remember the time you saw that dude driving that old British roadster in the rain? Well, it takes THAT kind of crazy to drive a gen I daily.

I love my gen I because it FORCES me to cruise with the tops/windows off. I sorta feel bad for those gen Is when I see them all buttoned up.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windows and ABS are a nice thing...No matter what you do, you will love the power at first, then you will want more. Get ready for a supercharger!!! Forget the extra car and use your money to slap on a Roe!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously the Gen I is not a daily driver.....but I don't think the Gen II is either. And this is why: People can't keep there hands off it. Especially kids (had a kid hit his skateboard on my door), cute girls (one of them almost laid on my hood thinking she was going to pose LOL), ugly girls (more easily shoed off LOL), and various annoying people. Basically any non car person doesn't know how to treat your vehicle with the respect it deserves.

Before anyone calls me a Sally. I drove my Gen I with the top off (I don't have a working top LOL) in 35 degree weather this Christmas. LOL. Word to the wise don't do that.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously the Gen I is not a daily driver.....but I don't think the Gen II is either. And this is why: People can't keep there hands off it. Especially kids (had a kid hit his skateboard on my door), cute girls (one of them almost laid on my hood thinking she was going to pose LOL), ugly girls (more easily shoed off LOL), and various annoying people. Basically any non car person doesn't know how to treat your vehicle with the respect it deserves.

Before anyone calls me a Sally. I drove my Gen I with the top off (I don't have a working top LOL) in 35 degree weather this Christmas. LOL. Word to the wise don't do that.

Like that is a bad thing :p Just remember to put a warm hat with earflaps on and wear a scarf/sjawl the next time you drive it in cold weather ;)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper isn't a very good all weather, every day car.

Rain can be a problem.
Snow is just about out of the question.
Speed bumps? Vipers are very low.
*** holes?

People keep asking about driving their Viper every day.

Anyone who can't afford to own at least a plain second car, probably shouldn't own a Viper.

Sure, you can drive your Viper every day.
But..
Do you want it to look special?
Will you be upset by a door ding or pebble hits on your windshield or front end?
Do you ever drive to places where you wouldn't want to leave your car?

There is much more wear per mile on a daily driver.
Wear it out if you want.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a GenII. And get the extra "daily driver" car. Why knock the snot out of a beautiful car like the Viper. Stop and go commuter driving would not be fun in your Viper especially if yours happens to run hot. Forget snow, and driving in rain could be a lot more exciting than you bargained for. Common sense pervails here. Have fun with whatever you choose. Remember, with a few exceptions, you own the road.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You MUST spend $25 on "Viper Buyers Guide" by Maurice Liang.

Heck, Ill even give you your money back on one if you dont like it, or even if you buy something later from PartsRack. MUST HAVE!

We had 120+ inches of rain so far this year (10 feet!) I have put over 200,000 miles on 12 Vipers since my 1992. Call for more.

The Year Matters
The Tires Matter
Driving Skills Matter
The Grin-factor Matters
Not much else matters ! Good luck in your quest

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with owning a Viper, but you sound like an average Joe, kinda like me. I can only liken it to when I was in the Navy (I was an E-6 and my wife an O-3....a story for another time), anyway, I had my Kawasaki ZX7, second year they were out, and it was my toy. Rode it for fun, to escape, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I only rode it to work on nice days, mainly Fridays when I knew there was a likelyhood of leaving early. Conversely, a friend rode his EVERY stinkin' day, and I mean every day. He had absolutely NO desire to get together on the weekends...the bike had become something he tolerated (not that this could EVER happen with a Viper).

My 2 cents, from a US Navy active duty family (wife is still active) who has moved from VA, to the UK, then to Italy, then to.....ah, you get the point....Have your Viper as your release. DO NOT think you will be comfortable for one second parking it on base ANYWHERE. Heck, mine doesn't even have ANY base stickers on it. Both Naval Stations and Naval Air Stations (not sure if you are an airdale of a shipboard type) have tons of CRAP in the air, either jet fuel or paint from painting the hulls pierside. Now, your mileage may vary. There are many who have no problems.

Your best bet is to snag a hoopty...there are TONS of them in the papers in the Virginia Beach area. Drop $2-3K on a ****** and relish the fact that when you are done with that part of your day you get to go home and take the toy out of the garage.

Heck, even now...I very easily COULD daily drive my Viper to and from work. It is only about 13 miles, little traffic at the early hour I go in, and parking is pretty secure where I work....I just choose not to. For me, during the workday/workweek, I get the same pleasure from owning a Viper whether it is sittin at home, covered, clean, and waiting for me....or sitting out in the parking lot.

My psychic abilities tell me that you will be happy with a Viper (no brainer there, eh?), but in the end you will either sell it because it is not working out as a "daily driver".....or you'll end up realizing that I am right ( :) ) and get a ****** later down the road. :)

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Vipermad (and everyone else), it is great advice! I am a single E-7, shipboard type, nuclear type. I am a very average joe, but there is only one money furnace in my house, and I want it to have a Dodge logo on it. I am thinking the way to go is to sell my motorcycle and my Lightning, buy the Viper (Gen I) as a weekend toy, and still have 10K left over to buy a decent ****** truck to drive to work. I am going to get the Viper Buyers Guide ASAP, where is good place to get it...I found it on Amazon, do any vendors sell it (Parts Rack)?
One last thing...I talked to my bank about a loan for the Viper, they said they can't find it in NADA, so I will have to get it professionally appraised before they can cut a check for it...has anyone else come across this? Is the Viper not in NADA? Why not?
Thanks again everyone.

Reaction score
I'll have to investigate the NADA website as well as kbb.com...but those numbers rarely work out to be accurate due to the exclusivity of the car (relatively speaking) and the overall condition.

I beleive with all my heart that you have chosen wisely young (?) Jedi. :) I was a Nuke EM1/SW, parked on/near the piers at Norfolk with my then-new Starion ESIr....it was never the same. :( I went through a Lightning as well, when I first moved back to VA. Awesome truck...but too toy-like and I can really only have one toy right now. :) Went to a Neon R/T...now I am back full-circle to the truck, just a bit more useful truck for now. :)

This is NOT to say that you wouldn't enjoy driving the Viper everyday...but there is just this special feeling I get on Fridays when I change cars after work and head out for the weekend. Might just be me....Besides...you can ALWAYS daily-drive (sorry 2-Viper-Chuck) the Viper....IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT!! The great thing about having the ****** is that if you get a wild hair up your butt and feel like treating the snake like a garage queen for a spell...you can! :)

What bike do you have? Might want to think about keeping that...just for $hits and grins. :)

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say get a Gen I with the hard top and you will be fine.
I could drive my Gen I everyday and not be bothered at all by the lack of real windows or the fact that it is loud as heck. The only real obstacles are bad weather and like someone else mentioned trying to keep it clean.

I personally enjoy driving the 95 over the 2001 GTS any day.

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermad, I am an ETC(SW), and I am familiar with the piers at Norfolk. In fact, I am going to be living there again, starting this summer. I ride a 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa; can you see a pattern forming with all my vehicles?!? I just figure that if I had the Viper every day, I would not need the bike to satisfy my need for speed. But you might be right!

Matt

Reaction score
Matt,
You would quickly tire of having to commute (assuming you aren't gonna live on the boat :) ) in the Viper, sad to say...but it is true. :) Nothing worse than sitting in over 400HP of vehicle crawling to work at 15MPH! The bike will allow use of the HOV lanes when you feel like treating yourself to a bike ride to work too. :) Heck, I think Joe is still selling his black RT/10 for a decent price...I posted pictures of it a month or so ago. Take that, and a nice little commuter car and you are in the mix! Let me know when you get into the area (Virginia Beach) and I'll hook you up. :)

OP
OP
I

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a VERY tempting offer, but I am not quite ready to it yet...I don't want to have move three vehicles from SC to VA. But at that price...wow, I have a feeling I will be kicking myself in the butt. Hopefully, there will be something similar in a month or two once I am settled.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine with the intent for a daily but later decided it was not a good idea. I was in school at the time so it was worse. The main problems are:

Parking/Attention
Keeping Clean
Gas Mileage
Bad Weather

Parking/Attention:

This car CAN NOT be parked at a local mall or store. Just asking for trouble. Believe me, I tried it, and I felt VERY unsecure everytime so it does not happen anymore.

Keeping Clean:

The car needs to be kept clean. It is an exotic. If it is always looking like crap it will not look good for you and I do not know many people that like keeping exotics bad looking.

Gas Mileage:

City driving, forget it. Gas goes to crap. 12MPG if you are lucky, not to mention your clutch is hard as a rock.

Bad Weather:

The car handles all right with LIGHT rain but in bad rain I would not chance it. Snow, forget it.

Good luck with your search. Keep us updated!

JoeD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt -

If you're a member of USAA - check financing arrangements with them. They often offer great rates and service. Last I checked with them on pre-owned Viper loans - they were willing to approve loan amounts HIGHER than many asking prices?!?!

Warning about a daily driver - the more you drive the car the more you'll love it.
:usa: check out ad 5788 in the classifieds - just might be the right ONE :usa:

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get some financial matters situated, but, I do still plan to get a Gen 1 as a daily driver. I'm single, no kids (that I know of)...so, why not? I just have to have the hardtop and windows..as that I live in New Orleans...and it does rain a lot here. That, and covered parking is a rarity.

But as far as mileage goes, if that is a concern for you, you shouldn't be even considering a car like the Viper. My 930 gets 10-11 mpg on a good week....and as far as a noisy car, personally, I get the biggest grin on my face with my car and bike setting off peoples car alarms in parking lots and in the French Quarter...

Can't wait to do it in a snake.

But, yes, cars like these are completely impractical, and to me, that kinda makes it fun.

I just make sure I have lots of friends with trucks and SUV's when I need to pick up something large or move stuff.