Which viper is the better deal?

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personaly love the look of a coupes. The verts in my eyes loose the lines of the cars. That being said a paxton may help me change my mind. Have you seen both cars in person. That right there might be the desiding factor. One might be in alot better shape then the other. And that might make your hard choice seem pretty easy.
I know first hand about going to look at a car that was "MINT" (by owner) and it turned out to be a ****. A complete misrepresentation of the car. And it just happened again to a buddy and i when we went to go look at a bike for him.
Sellers, if your stuff aint MINT, don't list it as MINT. PERIOD.
Sorry to get of topic.
Good lucK and post some pics

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subjectively I would go with the coupe. Better looking imho, more comfortable, and more areodynamic. The gen 3 coupe was only made one year.

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you go with the 2003 please have it inspected by a mechanic, specifically engine compression. It's easy to damage an engine with a Supercharger with improper tuning. I'm not saying don't buy it, just use enough care to buy someone elses issues. Older Paxton SC's were a bit sketchy, but the newer ones are pretty good.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the 03 with the paxton is the better deal if everything checks out .... get someone you trust to check it out completely and don't trust carfax or any of those other services.

If you plan on tracking the car, the coupe is the better bet ... otherwise in South Beach you'd have to be silly not to get the vert

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the 03 with the paxton is the better deal if everything checks out .... get someone you trust to check it out completely and don't trust carfax or any of those other services.

If you plan on tracking the car, the coupe is the better bet ... otherwise in South Beach you'd have to be silly not to get the vert
I've got to Agree, South Beach & if you're Single (VERT....NO QUESTIONS)!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my convertible for a while, and I'll admit, I'm kinda over the whole ******* thing.

Mostly cause I don't tan, I burn.... so only certain conditions are ideal for ******* motoring for me.

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going ******* in Miami may not be as fun as you think in mid summer. When stopped or going slow it gets hot inside a vert, even with the AC on. My favorite time to be in a convertible is fall/spring, maybe 60-70 degrees.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The perfect ******* weather is right now actually here in Miami, which actually being in South Beach may have multiple meanings haha

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personaly love the look of a coupes. The verts in my eyes loose the lines of the cars. That being said a paxton may help me change my mind. Have you seen both cars in person. That right there might be the desiding factor. One might be in alot better shape then the other. And that might make your hard choice seem pretty easy.
I know first hand about going to look at a car that was "MINT" (by owner) and it turned out to be a ****. A complete misrepresentation of the car. And it just happened again to a buddy and i when we went to go look at a bike for him.
Sellers, if your stuff aint MINT, don't list it as MINT. PERIOD.
Sorry to get of topic.
Good lucK and post some pics
Jeebs, the real good ones have ALL kinds of tricks up their sleeves. I remember years ago I was in love with a Jaguar & the owner let me take it for a spin, he was with us naturally & when we got in (my indy was with me) the owner had the radio on, not to loud but just loud enough (& he was constantly talking) & I never thought nothing of it but after awhile my indy told me to turn it off he thought he heard something in the rear & SURE ENOUGH the rear end was humming like a bird. If my indy wouldn't have been with me I would have never even thought about thats why the owner had the radio on to start with. That was a long time ago when I was quite a bit younger but people will go to any lengths to sell you something, this was just an example of some of the slimy things they'll do. jmo

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This pic makes me want to get a silver one

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought real hard about a convertible before buying another coupe. The part I couldn't get past with the vert was the rear end doesn't have the "viper overlap" look at all, and the double **** roof line is missing. Because my new (to me) Viper has turbos I'll want to get it on a 1/4 mile at some time and a vert is limited to 13.99 and over :)

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought real hard about a convertible before buying another coupe. The part I couldn't get past with the vert was the rear end doesn't have the "viper overlap" look at all, and the double **** roof line is missing. Because my new (to me) Viper has turbos I'll want to get it on a 1/4 mile at some time and a vert is limited to 13.99 and over :)

13.99? i can do 12s in my bone stock convertible. not having a top might pose some top end speed limitations due to aerodynamics but 1/4 mile? not a chance. BTW, drop the gears in the rear end and buy some slicks. that alone will turn a bone stock 12 sec viper into a low 11s strip machine. THEN start work on performance upgrades. another 100 hp for 10k or better MIGHT take 1/2 a sec off youe 1/4 time. a 3k differential swap WILL take a full second off your 1/4 time. best bang for the buck if you want street light to street light performance.

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL Rosco!!! If you run faster than a 13.99 in a vert they kick you off the dragstrip :) NHRA rules. i think IHRA allows another 0.5 secs. You must have a 6 point rollbar installed to run faster and pass tech inspection, and that means door bars as well as the rear hoop. I'm not sure when a coupe requires a roll bar but 10.99 sounds right, and 9.99 requeires a competiion license, full cage, etc. It's all to try to keep you safe but can be a real pain.

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In your market the convert would be preferable I would think. I personally prefer the coupe. IF I were you, I would buy the cheapest lowest mileage 06 Coupe I could find and then supercharge it if it wasn't done already.

I think I know the Silver vert, is it in CO? If it is the same one, I know that the S/C was not installed by DC Performance or Woodhouse. I would be wary right there.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is the same one, I know that the S/C was not installed by DC Performance or Woodhouse. I would be wary right there.

It is that car, I wanted to have a compression check done before I purchased the car and also the first thing I was going to do once having it down here is take it to Roe since they are located in Florida and have it properly tuned.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since it is a Paxton I'd take it to Doug Levin instead. He may have even been the one that installed it. Also have the crank bolt tq. checked

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there are a couple good viper tuners in Florida? I used to worry about tunes on my heads/cam corvette and my mkiv supra but the last corvette I left mostly stock so don't know any big tuners anymore.

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe Racing seems to have a good reputation in Jacksonville. Sean is the only Viper tuner I have ever dealt with myself. I'm sure there are other Viper tuners using our products but that's not my end of the business. I can get a list of who buys Dodge tuners from us if that will help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang