Who has had their stock wheels chromed?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the center caps, did you have them chromed as well? With the additional thickness of the chrome buildup on the wheel and the cap, did that cause an issue fitting the cap back on?

Thank you

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had my wheels and metal center caps powdercoated a color and then cleared, and havent had any problems. i am assuming the powdercoating thickness would be about the same or even greater?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had mine chromed , no need to do the center cap
491.JPG

144.JPG

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the center caps, did you have them chromed as well? With the additional thickness of the chrome buildup on the wheel and the cap, did that cause an issue fitting the cap back on?

Thank you

u would think the chrome would add additional thickness/weight but imho it didn't

OP
OP
J

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss,

I'm pulling off the wheels/tires and sending evenrthing to California Chrome next week (same 5-spokes you have) . I'll post some pics when complete.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JohnK-I have some curb rash problems on a couple of rims so I have been thinking about chrome or some new rims. I have contacted Cal. chrome so I may be doing the same thing later this winter.

I really want to see those pics and your openion of the quality of work. Keep me posted

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As stated above, centers are plastic and don't need to be chromed.

OP
OP
J

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated above, centers are plastic and don't need to be chromed.

The centers on my '06 5-spoke wheels look like the centers on Wallbanger's H-sytle wheels above and are metal (at least a magnet sticks to them). I agree though, don't think it's necesary to chrome them.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what I would like to know:

How often do these chromed rims flake or peel? Any owners out there that have experience with their chromed rims beyond a couple of years? I was also looking at having rims anodized, but now I've heard that that finish can also (rub/scratch?) off? I've also had powdercoated rims that were easily chipped around the lug holes ... :brick:

I >hate< the maintaining issues of polished rims, and would like an expert answer on the best way to go?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to keep chiming in here but i did have a set of 20s chromed on my x5 for 3 years with no issues
10539a1.jpg

b4.jpg

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JohnK are you sending rims with tires on. I understand that their is a very good chrome plating co. in Nashville Tn, but can't find the name of the co. Nashville is in driving range for me. Wallbanger-Ill check out Advance-the SRT in color of the car looks good.

Last edited:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be- but I did not see any reference to plating wheels. My son lives in Nashville and told me tonight that he would check it out for me and that he would come and help me get the wheels off and take them back to Nashville. BTW JohnK-California Chrome told me it would be around 750$ to chrome the wheels plus 100$ for center caps. But I figure it would be around 250 each way for shipping with tires on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be- but I did not see any reference to plating wheels. My son lives in Nashville and told me tonight that he would check it out for me and that he would come and help me get the wheels off and take them back to Nashville. BTW JohnK-California Chrome told me it would be around 750$ to chrome the wheels plus 100$ for center caps. But I figure it would be around 250 each way for shipping with tires on.

Yes, I'm sending the complete wheel/tire package to them. When I had my PS2s installed this summer the shop scratched all 4 wheels in 3-4 places each. I was absolutely ready to explode. They did a perfect job on a set of billet wheels cut by Coddington for my Pantera, but scratched the Viper wheels. CC quoted me the same price. I figure it will cost me as much in round trip shipping as in Chrome, but I want to do this once, and want it right. CC will ship the wheels with tires remounted, ready to bolt up.

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if one of the chroming companies would do a group buy? I also am planning to chrome / black chrome my 5 spokes this winter as well.
Let me know. I am going to send mine in also. When I owned a corvette it was easy, they just traded them out. Can't do that with the Viper. Have to wait.
Jerry

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one place that can do the change out but I always get a few scratches on wheels. That is a draw back with the A6 tires only get around 6000 miles so about every 7-8 months Ill have to change tires. I may look into the new Michelin 19" ps cup tire.

JohnK-what are you using to wrap the wheel and tire--mummy wrap??

Last edited:

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one place that can do the change out but I always get a few scratches on wheels. That is a draw back with the A6 tires only get around 6000 miles so about every 7-8 months Ill have to change tires. I may look into the new Michelin 19" ps cup tire.

How long does it take and who does it?
Thanks Jerry

OP
OP
J

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hiss, I'm going to do as they suggest, put each wheel in a large plastic bag, use some bubble wrap and cardboard on the face of the wheel, and wrap the whole thing in this:

Pallet Stretch Wrap Wraps Film 18" 80 Gauge 1500ft - (eBay item 130174954404 end time Nov-23-07 15:23:27 PST)

Sending them off next neek, will let you know how they turn out.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960