Who is running 4:10's ???

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is running 4:10\'s ???

Who is running 4:10's ....How do you like them? The pro's and con's ??

Thanks for the input!

Jim
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Who is running 4:10\'s ???

ViperJim,

Good name by the way!

I am going to get the MOPAR Heavy Duty Complete Diff assy, I just cannot decide if I should go with the 3:73 or 4:10.

Hmmmm..Maybe I should play it safe and go with 3:73's ??

Well any other bits of input will help.

Im also waiting to hear back from my VIPER TECH: Ted May.....

Thanks....
supergrin.gif

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
NO ONE, that wants to go fast.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This always seems to be a highly controversial topic...

Tom...what would you run fairly stock...and then fairly stock with about a 150 shot?

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

What do you mean? Are you referring to the loss of TOPEND speed? So what if the car will not go 190MPH, Maybe it will only do 160MPH....Where and why would you want to go that fast anyway? It's all about the quickness....seat of the pants low end umph!

Correct me if I am wrong, Gears allow the engine to rev into the power band quicker .............

Jim
supergrin.gif

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a neighbor who put in 4:10's and told me he didn't notice much difference, including the et slip from the drags. This sounds like it's probably right. People mix up "torque" and "horsepower". Horsepower is a true power measuement(force x distance). It has torque in the mix...hp = torque x rpm's divided by 5252 (the formula James Watt came up with for his steam engines). So...the key points are...

1. ONLY horsepower can accelerate a vehicle. Torque has no motion, so it cannot. However, people often use the term "torque" when they really mean a wide horsepower band.

2. When you put in the 4:10 gears, the car will feel more "torquey", but it doesn't change the horsepower output of the car...so...the only advantage you actually get is to utilize a little more of the car's horsepower within the span of the quarter mile.

My strong hunch is that, due to the fact that you're not adding horsepower with gears and based on my neighbor's experience, the lower gears will make only a very small (if any) improvement in quarter mile et. If you put on a pair of really sticky tires, there may be some improvement in et. Is this correct based on other Viper observations?

There are other considerations. You're making a 13.5% change in driveshaft speed, so you'll have similar error in the speedometer if you don't deal with that as well. The engine will sing along at higher rpm's, but there are so many gears in these things (I found SIX so far!), you can just clutch it & upshift.

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In response to your statement:

2. When you put in the 4:10 gears, the car will feel more "torquey", but it doesn't change the horsepower output of the car...so...the only advantage you actually get is to utilize a little more of the car's horsepower within the span of the quarter mile.

Correct ! You do not ADD any horsepower by adding gears, What you DO is change the RPMS vs SPEED meaning that the engine is able to rev - up quicker and get into the usable Horsepower band quicker at a lower speed which means more TORQUE produced at a lower SPEED...More Torque and Usable HP and lower speeds means what????........More LOW END power and if used correctly with the throttle a quicker more responsive car!

Just my 2 cents.........
supergrin.gif

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jimmy Green from Atlanta was running 4:10 with K&N, smooth tubes,stock tires & mopar computer @ the Southern nats last year & he went slower than with the stock gear. He went back to the stock rear.Maybee if you have more mods it will work out to an advantage.

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have 3.73 in my car. car pulls very ******* gears. i also have light weight fly wheel and it's like playing GT3. i spin tires all the way through 3rd gear. i know it's not the best set up for drag but man car feels very quick. do not go with 4.10.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

webtrader -did you e mail me a few days ago?
Just remember traction and number of shifts play out in the 1/4 mile.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the 3:55 gears and this is my observation to date.

1. Drives around town and up to 85-90mph on highway much better.

2. Less drone inside from the TNT exhaust due to cruising at a
better rpm(higher).

3. Shifting to and using most of 4th gear in the quarter mile.

4. Is not any quicker in the quarter mile,e.t. and mph the same
rpm's are higher.

5. On street tires w/200 shot zero traction 1& 2nd gear,not even
from a roll in 2nd.

A. My advice get 3:55 gears for up to 450rwhp.

B. Buy a complete rear,keep the stock one for back-up and also
there will be zero down time while you wait for your rear to
arrive.

C. The best reason to get the 3:73 or 4:10 would be due to using
30" to 32" tall tires repectively.

D. For street use the maximum I would go is 3:73 with stock tires

I have zero advice for road racing gear choice and I am happy with my gear change it was the right choice for me.

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the input...Based on facts I have gathered I will go with the 3:73's.

I will let you all know how it works out..As Viperjim stated if it ain't right I will fix it! &lt;---It's only money anyhow.
supergrin.gif

Thanks again !!!

Jim
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmmm...