Why did you purchase your ACR?

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, for those with a new ACR, did you actually buy the car to track, or was it simply because of the looks?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brian,
I'm not a new ACR owner YET, but plan to be in the not too distant future. I'm buying for the latter and not ashamed to admit it. The ACR is rolling art work.

For what it's worth, my second choice would be your car without a doubt...absolutely beautiful.

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Z06 vette in 2001 and spent lots and lots of money trying to turn it into what the ACR is from the factory... When I saw that Dodge was making a full on track weapon I knew I had to have one.

Mine will see a few track days here and there because I believe it would be a crime not to take it to the track.

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kcobean, I see you have a Charger SuperBee as well, love mine!! And wish that they would have made this addition of the ACR in yellow!!

OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brian,
I'm not a new ACR owner YET, but plan to be in the not too distant future. I'm buying for the latter and not ashamed to admit it. The ACR is rolling art work.

For what it's worth, my second choice would be your car without a doubt...absolutely beautiful.

Thanks!!! Actually, your car is also at the very top of my list too! :2tu: Fortunately, I still have my 01 Bumble Bee GTS. Considered selling to get my 08 but couldn't bear to part with it. Its not an ACR like yours but I love the combo.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to know who has the ACR in Round Rock, TX that I keep seeing around. It keeps giving me cargasms.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once i sell my CC i'll be getting a full cage & then go racin

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought it mainly for the looks and the fact it is limited in #'s. It's not an investment and I drive it to work every Friday plus on the weekends.

vipernut94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ordered an 09 Graphite/Black with ACR stripe, and the wait is killing me. I really wanted a SSG viper, but I wanted that color in an ACR w/ black stripes. I was torn between buying an 08 SSG, because that is the color that I really want, or a new ACR. A friend of mine bought an 08 ACR, and I drove it a few weeks ago. That was it - story over - the fat lady was singing - IT's AN ACR FOR ME!!! I mainly want it to drive on the street, but I do plan to put it on the track a few times each year. I sold my 96 GTS, which I have tracked for years, and it was a great track car with the mods that I added. I really didn't want to sell it, but this was the only way to afford the ACR, and from one short test drive, the ACR would eat my 96 for lunch. This is going to be longest few months of my life! Since I can't have SSG, I think that this color scheme looks more like a race car than a street car. Have I mentioned that I can't wait!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still wondering if an ACR in SSG is going to be offered at some point for 09??? They surely would have no trouble selling them.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine for what it does. Once I read the magazine tests I knew I had to have one. I found a dealer that had one on order, made an offer and about 4 weeks later my car arrived. I love it.

For the past few years I've gone to the track a fair bit. I've had race cars for years - mostly road racers but now a NASCAR Hobby stock car and I have a few championships over the years even on motorcycles so I've done OK. I bought the ACR basically for the track but I do intend to drive it on the street as well. I still have an '04 Vert so that'll be my basic street car. My daily driver is an '08 Miata or my motorcycle.

The looks didn't matter to me but I do like the look of the car.

BTW, my wife prefers to drive the ACR to the Vert.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ordered an 09 Graphite/Black with ACR stripe, and the wait is killing me. I really wanted a SSG viper, but I wanted that color in an ACR w/ black stripes. I was torn between buying an 08 SSG, because that is the color that I really want, or a new ACR. A friend of mine bought an 08 ACR, and I drove it a few weeks ago. That was it - story over - the fat lady was singing - IT's AN ACR FOR ME!!! I mainly want it to drive on the street, but I do plan to put it on the track a few times each year. I sold my 96 GTS, which I have tracked for years, and it was a great track car with the mods that I added. I really didn't want to sell it, but this was the only way to afford the ACR, and from one short test drive, the ACR would eat my 96 for lunch. This is going to be longest few months of my life! Since I can't have SSG, I think that this color scheme looks more like a race car than a street car. Have I mentioned that I can't wait!!!

Something to look at while you wait.:2tu:
viper082.jpg

jm24ond6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine because it has everything I wanted in a car. I like the experience the car enables you to have. Sequential gearboxes are really cool, but I wanted a true manual (check). No computer intrusion (check). Incredible handling at the track with tons of adjustments and toys to tinker with (check). Great power in NA form (check). Doesn't feel legal to be driven on the streets, lol (check). I'm no track *****, but it will go to the track. I guess I bought it because I couldn't stop talking and thinking about it.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When, I get my ACR is will sit in the garage and never be driven. I will visit evey other hour so it does not get lonely and charge other people $1 to look at it.

I will however still drive other people's ACRs at the track :D

You must be registered for see images attach

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my ACR last night and what a car it is. It was late and the car still had all the plastic wraps in its interior so after I made the car shinny and cleaned up the interior, I didn't get to drive it much but I'll leave my initial driving impression to another thread. But what and why did I get an ACR?
Well, this is my first Viper but I had been Viper bitten since I laid eyes on the concept Viper back in the early 90's but never had a chance to own one. I autocross about once a month and go on track days about two three times a year but plan on doing more often with the ACR)
For one reason or another, I ended up with a '95 Ferrari F355 Spyder (felt in love with the F1 like sound of that V8 w/ Tubi exhaust and the draft free driving experience with the top down), a C5 Z06 (cheaper and used for autox), a '04 Porsche GT3 (more polished, and another autox tool), a '06 Louts Elise turbocharged to 380HP at 1900 lbs (more uncompromising and pure, and another national championship winning autox car - not me winning, jus that model of the car:(), a '04 Ferrari Challenge Stradale (more exotic and soulful driving experience), and a Ford GT (my dream car when I was growing up in the 60's and I had to have). So after so many lost sales opportunities and so many years, Dodge finally made a car that has the combination of polish, power, drivability, liveability, performance and at a price that beat out the Porsche 997 GT3, C6 Z06, and ZR1.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can never seem to get a girlfriend, so my ACR is my date. :)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Me too!

I think in alot of cases, when it comes to cars classified as exotics, it is all about mental image of what it can do. 99% of people who own, Ferrari, Lambo, even Vipers, never drive them the way they actaully were designed to be driven. In saying that, when they get the image in their head that a certain edition (ACR in this case) is faster/better than another model of the same car, it is somthing inside that says "with that model I COULD do", even though they probably never will. Gives the feeling of driving the ultimate.

Me, although its a 2nd gen, I just liked the seatbelts!;):D

Robert

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine because its the "Baddest" Viper ever and limited production too. I doubt I will track it.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See the new color update, they just added 4 more great colors and in ACRs too! I bought my ACR because I always admired the comp coupes and how they dominate the race track. I love my Viper so much I have to drive him every day too not just on the track. So to answer your question, the ACR is the real deal, super good looking, drive him hard at the track all weekend, then all around town the rest of the week. Let's not forget how affordable they are too! So what's not to love about an ACR?

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had my first trackday yesterday and im now catching and passing drivers that id never had been ablle to catch in my 06. the car is a true work of art designed to run on the track flawlessly and give you the ability to drive a liitle harder and faster. its hard to describe but those of you that had a previous gen. viper know what im trying to describe. only bummer is i need to start a slush fund for tires, because after a 5 session track day. great traction does have a price. any info on the lifespan of these cups at the track thanks. if you have the means, you will not regret it , track or street its a win/ win

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had my first trackday yesterday and im now catching and passing drivers that id never had been ablle to catch in my 06. the car is a true work of art designed to run on the track flawlessly and give you the ability to drive a liitle harder and faster. its hard to describe but those of you that had a previous gen. viper know what im trying to describe. only bummer is i need to start a slush fund for tires, because after a 5 session track day. great traction does have a price. any info on the lifespan of these cups at the track thanks. if you have the means, you will not regret it , track or street its a win/ win
I'm on my 3rd set of Sport Cups in the front and 2nd set in the rear. I'm getting 4500 miles out of the fronts and 9000 miles out of the rears. I've driven about 50/50 on the race track. When the cups are gone completely, you know it. As they get more heat cycles on them it takes longer to warm them up where they stick but the last set I ran down to the cords and they still stuck until right at the end, then they just quit. That's when you put the new ones on. I hope this helps.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When, I get my ACR is will sit in the garage and never be driven. I will visit evey other hour so it does not get lonely and charge other people $1 to look at it.

You cover the West Coast and I'll cover the Gulf Coast. We'll be known as the ACR Poser Twins.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Track it. Track the hell out of it.

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info and it does help. looks like i need to start driving more, only a month old and 1600 miles on the clock. can you pm me the info on those rims you had mentioned abouth archer racing or might call john b to set up a second set of acr rims with ps2. thanks benny

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd set of Sport Cups in the front and 2nd set in the rear. I'm getting 4500 miles out of the fronts and 9000 miles out of the rears. I've driven about 50/50 on the race track. When the cups are gone completely, you know it. As they get more heat cycles on them it takes longer to warm them up where they stick but the last set I ran down to the cords and they still stuck until right at the end, then they just quit. That's when you put the new ones on. I hope this helps.
Cheryl,

What sort of alignment and ride height was that with? Were the fronts wearing down the inside the most? I didn't expect the fronts to wear out faster than the rears on a RWD car with a rear weight bias.

I've only got 1,200 miles on my car, after owning it for 2.5 weeks. I drive it to and from track events, and a few times a week otherwise.

I think I am going to try Kumho XSs when they come out in Viper sizes. I'm just not impressed with these PSCs unless they are warm, and the newest generation of street tires (e.g., Dunlop Direzzas) are just awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang